Sign in to follow this  
hartsmar

Kübler 53

I posted this over at the Lounge earlier and I figured I'd post it here as well.

I got a little sample of the Kübler 53 and I tried it yesterday.

I can only say that I was pleasantly suprised. In my opinion it's a rich improvement from the Kübler 57.

The burnt tone on the 57 is long gone. Instead it's got a rather floral "bouqet", rich in fennel. It actually has a little of that "baby powder" mouth feel as the BdF, but not as complex in taste. It louches in an instant after only very little water, but it doesn't have any extreme anise/star anise taste.

I'd say that this is actually a huge step up from the K57. There are better CO blanches out there, BdF for one, but the Kübler 53 is very nice. I'm not that fond of the low ABV but hey, less water...

Compare it to HGs? Well, the ones that came to mind while tasting it was that it actually reminded me of one ET and one Moonman blanche. Asking me for what number of each is like asking Michael Moore to be truthful (in yer face!). Ain't gonna happen since I don't remember.

All in all, a decent blanche (bleue!?), a huge leap forward from earlier Küblers.

I just got a bottle of the K57 from the flying monkeys today. Unfortunately it is not for me but, rather, for a friend who does not like ordering for himself. It is a tough life being an Absinthe dealer (he has deeper pockets than I) but every once and a while I can get a bottle for myself without flying monkey charges.

This time I ordered the Absinthe Edouard for myself and am very anxious to try it but the K57 looks good. More and cheeper, I hope I chose wisely.

The difference between the Kublers is not that noticable, even side by side. IMO, the Kübler 53 was no smoother than other Absinthes I drink. It wasn't that much different than the 57. They're both suspiciously close in taste to the Clandestine LB.

That is bizarre, given that Kübler's equipment and process should give a markedly different result than a real clandestine La Bleue, which you'd think would taste closer to some blanche HGs we're familiar with. Kübler has an unusual distiling temperature which could only be specific to the type of still he uses, and there's no way a Swiss home distiller would make their absinthe the same way Kübler does, let alone have a similar recipe.

Kübler must have realized he could rake in the dough if he tweaked his shit a little and called it Clandestine, or he's hired some entrepneurial Swiss types and set them up at his facility.

I will admit that a La Bleue I got from Markus a couple years back had the same emypreumatic funk upon opening as Kübler does, but that's because it was very young, and I even thought the La Bleue was just rebottled Kübler, but after about a month of ageing, the two tasted nothing alike, and the La Bleue's fennel blew Kübler's out of the water.

The difference between the Kublers is not that noticable, even side by side. IMO, the Kübler 53 was no smoother than other Absinthes I drink. It wasn't that much different than the 57. They're both suspiciously close in taste to the Clandestine LB.

I did a side by side with Kübler, the Emiles, F. Guy, BdF and VdF last night. I haven't really been drinking the Emiles or Fougerolleses for a while and I wanted to complete the reviews section of the site.

There's a remarkable similarity between the Kübler, FG and Emiles. It's a flavor I've never really tasted much of in HG's. I think these guys are all skimping on the fennel and probably using the same source for their anise, possibly even their base alcohol. I do admit though that side by side, I like Kübler better than the Guy.

Second glass, and it was Kuebler53 of course. Based on the two glasses I prepared (CLB being the other) I like this one better so far. The anise wasn't quite as intense on this one, but was quite close to the CLB flavour wise to my uneducated palate. Time to conduct some more taste tests.

I just thought I'd add that Kübler 53 has the plastic taste that I'm always trying to figure out. I'm sitting here drinking it (because my only other option right now is FG...enough said) and I can't think of another way to describe it, modeling clay maybe?

Whatever...it could be worse I suppose

:cheers:

Could you please list the absinthes you've had that have and do not have this characteristic? I think I'm getting a handle on it. If you've already done this somewhere, just nudge me in the right direction.

The absinthes that do NOT have this are:

Jade NO, VS and Ed

Kallnacher

VdF

Marteau de Cerveau

Duplais

FG

Soup Nazi

Monmartre

there may be others but I can't remember.

I know that I have tasted it for sure in the:

BdF

Kübler

Pacifique ( if i remember correctly this was the strongest of all)

again, I think there's more I just have a really bad memory.

:cheers:

Damn it! I really want to know what it is so I can avoid it. Grim had a notion that it was star anise, I think G&C thought it was some particular kind of anise but I can't remember which, Shai wondered at one time if it was fennel

no, not cookie dough, I wish I could come up with a better discription :(

mmm...yummy....coockie dough

I'm looking forward to listening to you and Maggie discuss taste. Really. She's great.

Everything tastes like wood dust and scene paint to me. My idea of a taste comparison:

"Kübler 53 - Mmmmm."

"CLB - Really Mmmmm!"

Grim had a notion that it was star anise...
That's where I was headed. But I'm almost certain star anise is used in some of those "NOT have" absinthes.

Still possible if it is more in the background and covered by other herbs. Most of her do nots are Vertes and may have the star anise covered by some of the finishing herbs. The strange one to me is the Pacifique verte (which I loved). I think it is the only verte that she notices it in.

Turpentine, czechsinthe, paint thinner, I see a trend.

Great resurrection of a thread, BTW.

Kübler 53 is fine with me. I don't notice a "plasticky" character, but if you knew what I inhale at work, it's a thousand wonders I can differentiate any flavors beyond the anise.