• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

Since there's a bit of hype about a new product in the US today, how about some ideas for what an ABSINTHE tablet would have/could do?

A bottle of absinthe with the ability to download and add water to your personal preference, check for other absinthe lovers nearby to meet up with, mix a cocktail for you etc. Maybe for around $ 99.99?
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#2 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think it should be able to hold a fountain and some glasses. :wheelchair:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#3 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

I've actually toyed around with the idea of writing some sort of absinthe-oriented iPhone app. Time is at a premium these days, though.

#4 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

... Certainly one of the more interesting posts I've seen here lately...
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#5 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

I'm so old school, I'm still trying to get my dog to fetch me a beer from the fridge.

(I killed that double post for you, Gruene Fee)

#6 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:36 PM

I've actually toyed around with the idea of writing some sort of absinthe-oriented iPhone app. Time is at a premium these days, though.

Someone else got there first.

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

He said absinthe-oriented app.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#8 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

I didn't want to cast any aspersion on our beloved colleagues.

#9 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'd see an appliance with the following :)

- The absinthe board : with many brands listed, remotely linked to several review sources, searchable on many criteria, links to online shops with compared price (if available)
- The paraphenalia board :
- Recent paraphenalia : list of all known glasses, spoons, brouilles, foutains, etc, with links to several shops with compared prices
- Antiques : the whole MCD transcribed for spoons (on that part we wouldn't have the copyrights though), a database of all known pieces, with social contribution, and when available, price trending on ebay, and links and alerts on auctions for watched items

Erf, I would probably be able to create that, besides...

Edited by Aggelos, 28 January 2010 - 01:04 AM.

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

I've actually toyed around with the idea of writing some sort of absinthe-oriented iPhone app.

If we could get an app that displays all of the review section and allow users to post reviews, that would be Frikkin FANTASTIC. I'd love one for my blackberry too.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:01 AM

If we don't have any members who are familiar with the iPhone app SDK, and who would be willing to do one for us, then perhaps we should just hire folks to create a WS app? I know I'd use the hell out of a WS app.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#12 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:09 AM

Dunno for iPhone, would be my pleasure to do it for Android though.

Or we could always do a web app. Basically that would only be a module for the WWS CMS

Edited by Aggelos, 28 January 2010 - 05:10 AM.

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

How about we hold a contest to find the best app? I'd be willing to put up something... old... as a prize for the winner. :pirate: I think we definitely at least need one for iPhone and one for Blackberry.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:29 AM

You're so on sir !

#15 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

If we don't have any members who are familiar with the iPhone app SDK, and who would be willing to do one for us, then perhaps we should just hire folks to create a WS app? I know I'd use the hell out of a WS app.

I code for iPhone SDK. I'm new to it, coming to Objective-C from ECMA languages... but it hasn't been hard to pick up so far.

My thought for an app was pretty much precisely that - a spinner of sorts that lets you grab a brand from a list, then you read reviews on that brand. Maybe a map view to find out where to buy what in your location.

My hurdle on this is that, were I to code it, I would want it to be agnostic to absinthe-site politics, and have it cater exclusively to neither WS nor FV, fall under the jurisdiction of neither site, and be something that could be happily adopted by my both friends here and my friends there. Ideas for creating this neutrality include co-branding and using reviews/info from both sources, or making the app a separate entity and using data from neither source (but collecting endorsements of both).

In order to accomplish this, it would need a web interface as well - somewhere to cull the reviews from and store user profile data. And I'm not a web back-end developer by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: I fully realize that such agnosticism may be pollyanna-ish of me, but I have several friends in other places that I would hate to leave out in the cold.

Edited by kaseijin, 28 January 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#16 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

Yep. You'd need a database of reviews for the app to pull from, SQL for instance, and that would mean you would have to get approval from both sites to reproduce the reviews, as well as distribute the reviews. You'd also have to have a mechanism in place to update your review databases with any changes to the reviews on either site. Basically live updating between theirs and yours. That would be if you wanted an internet enabled app though. In theory, you could load an app already loaded with all the reviews, but that would require an update to the app very frequently to add the reviews which were posted since the last app update.

Not to mention the two rating systems are different. I'm thinking it may be harder than necessary to have a utopian app, versus having a WS app. Nothing saying it couldn't be ported for use by FV, either.

I saw an iPhone app for Joomla administration. I wonder if there's already an app out there which interfaces with Joomla sites as a client rather than admin? That way you could use the existing database information and just poll it on demand.

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#17 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

My hurdle on this is that, were I to code it, I would want it to be agnostic to absinthe-site politics, and have it cater exclusively to neither WS nor FV, fall under the jurisdiction of neither site ...

I was looking forward to seeing a Louched Lounge absinthe app.

#18 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

You'd also have to have a mechanism in place to update your review databases with any changes to the reviews on either site. Basically live updating between theirs and yours. That would be if you wanted an internet enabled app though. In theory, you could load an app already loaded with all the reviews, but that would require an update to the app very frequently to add the reviews which were posted since the last app update.

You can query the database on user request. Say, perform a small query just to pull brand names into a list... then query again once a brand is selected.

Apple would never approve anything that vulgar! :laugh:

Edited by kaseijin, 28 January 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#19 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

KISS as they would say. Keep It Simple and Stupid

First of all, the data source :
you have to have contributors, whose contribution is easy to fetch, so database backend it is, on a collaborative solution.

Therefore, relying on the Joomla ratings tables fed by the WW review applet is, IMHO the only way to go.
The other way would be to copy the reviews in your own base, but you're facing evolution (no "dynamic" content) and rights issues, as you so clearly explain.

To be technology agnostic, besides, to cover not only iPhone, but also Android, and maybe the last versions of blackberries, would be to go "web app", once again, IMHO.

I propose, (and that's what I'll do) using a mobile templating framework (such as iWebKit), and implement the features, PHP based, hosted on the WW server, and exploiting the WW review application's database.

As far as being "site agnostic" is concerned, in the end, any joomla-based absinthe-oriented web site could have its own version of the app.

Possibly then, WebService exposure, and, with rights provided, gathering of data...

Also, Ron, technically, it would be feasible to have something independent, using a crawler and a lexer, but hell, that would be horribly difficult to implement :)

Edited by Aggelos, 28 January 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#20 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

Apologies to BlackBerry users out there, but man do I really hate web apps on mobile.

#21 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

To be technology agnostic, besides, to cover not only iPhone, but also Android, and maybe the last versions of blackberries, would be to go "web app", once again, IMHO.

I propose, (and that's what I'll do) using a mobile templating framework (such as iWebKit), and implement the features, PHP based, hosted on the WW server, and exploiting the WW review application's database.

I think this is the best solution for coding a one-size-fits-all app, which people other than iPhone users could appreciate. And some of you will probably remember that the original third party iPhone apps were required to be webapps because of the concern that software apps on the phone could harm the integrity of the OS. So it's not a foreign idea to have web apps on the iPhone, and I wouldn't be opposed to them. I think coding an iPhone specific app using the SDK would obviously offer many more capabilitites, but it sounds like those capabilities aren't really things we would need for simple database querying and displaying.

I like both your ideas, but I'm more inclined to think that Aggelos' would reach more users, which can only be a plus in my book. And I'm and iPhone user!

Now, if the app were to evolve into more than an absinthe brand review database, and perhaps added some integration with the forum, messenger, etc, then I think the iPhone app SDK is the way to go.

#22 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

Now, if the app were to evolve into more than an absinthe brand review database, and perhaps added some integration with the forum, messenger, etc, then I think the iPhone app SDK is the way to go.

Thought about it for some time, to use on the many IPB forums I read, but tremendous work... Would need a IPB remote API, and I would gladly kiss anyone who would provide this.

#23 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

I've actually toyed around with the idea of writing some sort of absinthe-oriented iPhone app.

If we could get an app that displays all of the review section and allow users to post reviews, that would be Frikkin FANTASTIC. I'd love one for my blackberry too.

Blackberry..Blackberry..I have heard that name somewhere... :devil:
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#24 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

This is a great idea, but I agree it has to also be available for more than just iPhone.

I'm a BB user myself.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#25 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

I'd be willing to put up something... old... as a prize for the winner.

/me scrambles to learn how to code phone apps...

Sure...chock full 'o pr0n and twat jokes. The good people of Apple would just eat that one up.

Edited by precenphix, 29 January 2010 - 04:42 AM.

Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#26 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Little Proof Of Concept, anyone ?

http://aggelos.org/WormwoodApp/

(still tweaking, will work on an iPhone or Android, feel free to tell me how it goes with a BlackBerry... Most recent models could do it)

http://bit.ly/9GzHxN for the short link

Edited by Aggelos, 29 January 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#27 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:58 AM

Works on my BB.

Edit to add:

How about a "How to drink it" section; Classic drip, classic cocktails (Savoy list?) and a selection of modern cocktails to be chosen by members? With a big "No burning" logo.

Edited by Alan Moss, 29 January 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#28 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

How about a "How to drink it" section; Classic drip, classic cocktails (Savoy list?) and a selection of modern cocktails to be chosen by members? With a big "No burning" logo.

Could be done (see update), as static content. Savoy, dunno, what about copyrights ?

Edited by Aggelos, 29 January 2010 - 06:13 AM.

#29 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Dunno for iPhone, would be my pleasure to do it for Android though.

Or we could always do a web app. Basically that would only be a module for the WWS CMS

Droid!!
Yes!
:thumbup:

Little Proof Of Concept, anyone ?

http://aggelos.org/WormwoodApp/

(still tweaking, will work on an iPhone or Android, feel free to tell me how it goes with a BlackBerry... Most recent models could do it)

http://bit.ly/9GzHxN for the short link

Moto Droid likes it !!

Edited by Butch Onufrak, 29 January 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#30 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

This thread has had me uery confused. I originally thought it was something about an absinthe "pill". I think I understand now but in a way I don't. :g:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association