Sign in to follow this  
S.Stone

duplais blanche 68% vs. 60%

For my next order I want to try a blanche. I was wondering if there was a taste difference between the two (duplais 68% or 60%)? Since duplais verte was my first good absinthe, I thought it would be a good start for my first blanche as well. The alcohol percent does not matter to me as much as the taste. If anyone has tried both I would love to know what your thoughts are.

I've only had the 72%, but I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't terrible, but it sure wasn't as good as CLB or the Blanchette.

Thanks I will look into those. 53% or 72% for the CLB, or does that even matter taste wise?

There's been an argument over this for years. If you want to pay more, but stretch your absinthe out further, get the one with the higher alcohol. The lower proof may go faster on you, but you may notice it to be more mellow -- i.e., less burn.

I'll put in a good word for the Duplais Blanche. It's a solid, mid-shelf absinthe like Phoenix says. Not on the same level as Clandestine or Blanchette, but head and shoulders above Kübler. It's not a bad place to start, much like the Duplais Verte.

Oh, and what precenphix said about the two versions of ClB. I prefer the 53 myself.

I tried both the Clandestine 53 and the Blanchette over the weekend and I found them both to be quite good.

However I found that I like the Blanchette much better than the Clandestine 53 but that's just my personal taste. Everyone has their own. I highly recommend picking up a flask of Blanchette at least. And for 20$ from LDF I think the flasks are a great deal. If you want to try a brand but don't want to shell out money for full a bottle the flask is the way to go. On a side note my fiancee liked the Clandestine 53 better so why not get both? :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Tom

Thank you all so much. I think I will try Clandestine or the Blanchette by Ted. You all have helped out on my future order. I have been nervous to order a blanche, but also very curious.

The Blanchette is another I've yet to try. I suppose I should throw a bottle in my next order from LdF.

Man, I still haven't tried Blanchette. It's one that I kept meaning to try over and over, but something else would find its way onto an order.

There was even a time when I was trying to buy a Lion prototype and it appeared to be completely sold out, so I ordered Blanchette. I came on the forum and said what happened, just cursing my luck that I didn't get paid until the day the prototype was sold out. Markus sent me an email saying he still had a bottle and switched it out for the Blanchette on my order. It was totally awesome that he did that and I completely approved, but it's funny that I even once ordered that absinthe and have never had it. :)

Edited by peridot

I had a single glass when I was in Myrtle Beach about 3 or 4 years ago and I was floored. The wormwood is incredible. The hell with the yellowish tint...the flavor was impressive as hell. But since I'm typically a verte man, I've also forgone ordering any.

Honestly, I don't foresee ordering from overseas again any time in the future unless something incredible and limited drops. (re: L'Artisenal -- the Holy Grail of CO's)

I almost ordered the Blanchette on my December order from LDF. Because of the size of the bottle .5l kept me from adding it to my purchase. The price was right though. I ended up ordering 2 multi buys for the Jade's.

I like Blanchette, but it isn't what it once was. Apparently the source of wormwood was switched somewhere along the line; there was a noticeable difference between the two bottles I've bought.

I like Blanchette, but it isn't what it once was. Apparently the source of wormwood was switched somewhere along the line; there was a noticeable difference between the two bottles I've bought.

Really? That sucks.

Apparently the source of wormwood was switched somewhere along the line; there was a noticeable difference between the two bottles I've bought.

That sucks. Blanchette seemed so well liked. Why change something that's working so well. With that said, I still plan on ordering a bottle along with a bottle of CLB. If for some reason I do not enjoy them I am sure one of you would be more than happy to take them off my hands.

I received a Blanchette sample in a trade when I was a total absinthe noob, all I remember is that I really liked it. I've come close to ordering a bottle a couple of times, but other bottles always seemed to move ahead of it. And then ...

Honestly, I don't foresee ordering from overseas again any time in the future unless something incredible and limited drops. (re: L'Artisenal -- the Holy Grail of CO's)

Ditto.

Really? That sucks.

Maybe. I couldn't say, since I haven't tried the original formula. I can tell you that after trying the latest version recently, I consider it to be the best blanche I've ever had, bar none.

As unbalanced as it was, I still like the Wormwood Blanche best. I love that stuff to death. I have about half a glass's worth left. :)

I can tell you that after trying the latest version recently, I consider it to be the best blanche I've ever had, bar none.

You're probably going to have some stern competition with that statement very soon if my taste buds are anything like yours.

Make Wormwood Blanche again, and I'd buy it if I had to overdraft my bank account to do it.

I should have started drinking absinthe sooner after my bad experience. Sounds like I missed out on some good stuff. Especially if it will overdraft your bank account. :laugh:

Six years is how long I waited to try it again.

I can tell you that after trying the latest version recently, I consider it to be the best blanche I've ever had, bar none.

You're probably going to have some stern competition with that statement very soon if my taste buds are anything like yours.

I'd be happy to put it to the test. Just waiting on T...