• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

I have an under-sink unit that removes chlorine and other nasties for amazingly clean water, but it also can customize the ph levels, and ionize the water if I so choose. I was just wondering if anyone here has thought of how a slightly alkaline water, free of chlorine, may improve/enhance absinthe. Most bottled waters are in the 4.0-5.o range, which is acid, like many soft drinks. 7.0 being neutral. I typically run at 8.0 which is slightly alkaline. This instantly turns things slightly acidic into a less acidic state. There is also a lot of chlorine in most people's tap water... sometimes enough to taste. I'm noticing a difference with the purer, chlorine-free water for sure....and with the cheaper stuff I tried, the alkaline water seemed to take the bite off a bit.

Just thinking and sharing. Any ideas?

#2 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

I definitely cannot use the tap water here for absinthe, it has too much flavor from chlorine I assume. Even with a Brita filter it still has too much flavor so I haue to buy bottled water, which still isn't that great. I get Evian when I can but usually its Naya. My roommates think I'm a snob for buying bottled water just for absinthe, they don't understand though. Why spend $70 on a bottle of booze and then ruin it with tap water?

As for pH levels, I don't know. The alchemists of this forum should haue some insight.

Your new avatar is Wild! by the way.

#3 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

This instantly turns things slightly acidic into a less acidic state.

Yes, but only by the power of Greyskull!

Wasn't there some discussion on ph levels of absinthe...or was I suffering from acute absinthism?

Have you done any comparisons of a louched glass with slightly acidic water or slightly alkaline water? Seems possible to have a pretty good control with a unit that can be set for that, and Kübler is great for experiments. :twitchsmile:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#4 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

I use a Reverse Osmosis system. PH is between 6.5 and 7.5..I also use a UV tube at the final filtering to kill any bacteria left from the RO 4 filter system process...Water is excellent..

Edited by oglala56, 26 January 2010 - 02:22 PM.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#5 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

This instantly turns things slightly acidic into a less acidic state.

Yes, but only by the power of Greyskull!

Dammit, baubs!

<wipes fine spray of PF1901 off the computer monitor>
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#6 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

:cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#7 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

I'm sipping Blanchette with tap water right now :harhar:
nasty prisms good sir

#8 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:53 AM

I use a Reverse Osmosis system. PH is between 6.5 and 7.5..I also use a UV tube at the final filtering to kill any bacteria left from the RO 4 filter system process...Water is excellent..

Careful there with RO. It strips the water completely of nutrients and minerals. It becomes inert water,
and is typically 4 or 5 PH, which is acidic. I used to have RO, but it is actually NOT healthy for humans to drink...it can worsten acid reflux, and deprive your body of needed minerals. There are other systems
that take out the majority of chlorine, and purify just as well. Check that PH...I've never heard of a RO unit that was up to 6.5!

Just looking out for my fellow man....research these points!

#9 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:45 AM

Careful there with RO. It strips the water completely of nutrients and minerals. It becomes inert water,
and is typically 4 or 5 PH, which is acidic. I used to have RO, but it is actually NOT healthy for humans to drink...it can worsten acid reflux, and deprive your body of needed minerals. There are other systems
that take out the majority of chlorine, and purify just as well. Check that PH...I've never heard of a RO unit that was up to 6.5!

Just looking out for my fellow man....research these points!

I had before I used a RO..But thanks for your information..

The pH difference after the RO depends on the composition of your input water source; depends on whether you have large amounts of gases such as CO2Â in your local water supply. Portland's PH is 7.8

Usually, the pH drop is largest for waters with high amounts of alkalinity or HCO3. Portland has low levels of both.

When there is very little CO2, HCO3, or CO3, there is very little pH drop observed in the permeate.

Therefore it is not true that reverse osmosis filters will always reduce the pH level of water to a noticeable amount. The pH difference after the RO depends on the composition of your input water source; depends on whether you have large amounts of gases such as CO2Â in your local water supply.

I just tested my water a few minutes ago and it is 7.6...If the ph was a factor I could always use a Calcite Acidic Water Neutralizer that could be added inline.

As for nutrients or minerals, humans receive the vast majority through their food not water. A person would have to drink a bathtub of water each day to meet that requirement.

The problem with a water purification system is that it cannot distinguish the good from the bad contents. Each has a similar chemical and solid makeup...

A Chardonnay has a PH of 3.4, a Riesling 2.5..Beer 4.7...

The human body strives to maintain a PH of 7.5...water aids in this regulatory process.
:)
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#10 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:57 AM

I used to have RO, but it is actually NOT healthy for humans to drink

The US Army's ROWPU will kill us?!
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#11 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

RO is a great way to clean and purify water, I'm not saying it will kill you...clearly oglala56 knows a boat-load more about this than me! My RO unit, and others where I live (and in many parts of the country)
wind up with ph 4 water with RO. Any Doctor will tell you drinking too much acidic water or any liquid is bad for you. Water is supposed to have minerals in it...I simply prefer for my needs a safer system that doesn't strip the water of it's nutrients and acidify my body. Clearly Where oglala lives the water supply is different, and the PH drop isn't a factor. My RO took my water from 7.0 to 4. RO units are also very wasteful in general, with a often 4:1 waste water to drinking water ratio. I can't get behind a system that wastes 4 times the water it provides.

best guys. Scott

#12 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

Haha. I'm just ribbing you, Scott.

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#13 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:17 AM

Yeah...I thought a few of my ribs had a poke.

#14 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:04 AM

Speaking of pokes, Jen is handing them out!

#15 muggle

muggle

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Any Doctor will tell you drinking too much acidic water or any liquid is bad for you. Water is supposed to have minerals in it...

best guys. Scott

Can you please elaborate on the effects of drinking acidified beverages and explain why you claim it's bad? 

And why is water "supposed" to have minerals in it? What context are you talking about? Minerals are an extremely diverse classification of inorganic molecules that come from all over nature, not just water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral

Distilling sediments out of water will provide pure H20; a clear, flavorless solvent that creates a nice backdrop for Absinthe to sing it's true flavors. If you're worried about mineral levels or electrolytes, drink some coconut water or have a gatorade afterwards. 

d.

#16 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

As far as the discussion from 2010, my thoughts today would have been to be on my guitar bench, working, or playing with one of my kids, rather than starting this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association