• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

I told all of you if his name got posted at least three times he'd magically reappear for us, just like an opening band that plays an unwanted encore.

Paul, I'm not going to dance around this: you're full of shit.

Thank you, Sir! I think that about settles it.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#32 paulnathan

paulnathan

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Well. So much for polite conversation.

#33 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I got yer polite conversation right here!

...now where's that ball-grabbin' emoticon?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#34 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

What you do to absinthe is rude. If you want to be treated civilly, don't piss on our backs and tell us it's raining.

I don't care how you want to spin it, Paul, what you're doing is a paid disinformation campaign.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#35 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

Paul,
does your book specify which recipes are for LTV and which are for absinthe?

Not trying to be a dick, but there truly is a difference.

Also, is this primarily a collection of recipes with some fun facts thrown in, or is it absintheology.com in book form? Or something altogether different?
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#36 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

I don't care how you want to spin it, Paul, what you're doing is a paid disinformation campaign.

Polite? He has received more time than any other shill that has passed through this joint. Most shills are shown the door before they can blink twice. Where is that "flush" button?

#37 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Paul Nathan...the Ruttling Orange Peel of absinthe....

Posted Image
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#38 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Please don't go.

The ridiculous, made-up garbage that you spew here is always such good fodder for laughs. It's such complete crap, without any honest attempt to even be half convincing to anyone who has the remotest clue about the subject. You tell lies and then cover them so poorly that it's clear that comedy is your intent. Your inept defense of your words must be an act, as anyone who was earnestly so vapid would surely have difficulty operating a computer or a motor vehicle.

I love reading your circular logic. I really love reading your admonishing of people who are considerably more experienced and intelligent than you are about things they know vastly more thoroughly than you do. And your demanding politeness and respect when you disrespect everything we do? Superb hypocrisy!

You want polite? There's polite for you. That's being as polite and honest and respectful as you have ever been since you joined this forum. Why should anyone care what a jester like you thinks?

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#39 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

Well. So much for positive attention all focused on me, all the time.

Eatabagofdicks. It's Prussian.

Edited by baubel, 25 January 2010 - 11:14 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#40 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

Paulnathan has terrific talent. It would have been a treasure to have such talent used for good versus being a whore about it.

I'd rather have him on the honest educational side than the dark "fuck you all, this is how I make a living side".

What do I know, I'm just a clerk prostitutung myself for a meager paycheck. Because it's an honest living and I have a conscience.

I don't want to sacrifice my principals for a buck, a duck or a fuck.

Paulnathan speaks and presents himself very well. His facts really aren't. Such a waste of talent.

It's a shame that I'm even posting this. I feel bad about it but it's something my heart felt needed posting.

JMHO
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#41 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Like OMG said, he obviously has a talent for promoting (of the self variety more than anything). Unfortunately his actions up to this point lead one to conclude that he loves profit and the furthering of his name brand than absinthe, and that to him, absinthe is the venue best suited to his own selfish goals.

If he wasn't so condescending he might actually be an ally. Instead, he does more to deter the progress of factual absinthe knowledge than help it. His vision of absinthe is one of frat-party-mentality, not respect and tradition.

We are trying to move absinthe away from the same stereotypical nonsense he promotes. We are trying to make absinthe something along the lines of scotch rather than plastic-bottle tequila. He, it seems, couldn't care about absinthe itself, or those who work hard to produce quality absinthe. Instead he seems to want to attach his fouled name absinthe. And like most things in life, the majority of people want to confirm their beliefs/stereotypes, not break them, and he just helps perpetuate bad information about absinthe at every turn.

Edited by pt447, 26 January 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Life is moist and stinky

#42 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

So what y'all are saying, basically, is that he sucks and is a bad person?

My stupid facebutt page.

#43 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Not a bad person, just confused. Someone should take him under their wing and make a true believer out of him. Show him the light. Show him the truth. Have pity. Bless his heart.

My principals are a little different than his. I don't have to like them but they're his. Like old prostitutes, he may become less attractive with age and work cheaper. Sham-Wow!*

*There may be some sarcasm in this post.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#44 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

See, I don't think he's confused. I think he is very clear about what he's doing, which is profiting off of other people's confusion.

My stupid facebutt page.

#45 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

I can agree with that also. Good point.

#46 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Confused no. Misdirected and misguided, yes.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#47 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

They were fantastic parties unlike anything anywhere else. Beyond the amazing entertainment, interesting art and decor, and fantastic crowds there was a zeitgeist that made people feel as though they were experiencing something wonderful and special.

When I first read these sentences, for some reason Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" popped into my head. And I'm an Ummagumma guy.

Edited by scuto, 26 January 2010 - 02:51 PM.

"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#48 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

He's quite clear in his intentions. He's not "bad" per se, just diametrically opposed to truth in regards to absinthe, and apparently motivated solely by a desire to increase his own value rather than stand up for absinthe itself. He's found an apparent "cash cow" and now he'll use any vague semi-truths, or blatant lies he can to "prove" his version of reality so that people give him money.

The fact is that he is passing off untruths as fact, and doing it for a profit.

He's bad for absinthe.
Life is moist and stinky

#49 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

I heard that he also hates puppies.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#50 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Makes me glad I'm just a clerk. It also makes the booze I drink that much more tasty.

#51 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Except for the badly bred (and often abused) puppy mill "cash cow" variety.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#52 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#53 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Man, that's high praise to compare him to Cobra Commander.

My stupid facebutt page.

#54 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

See, I don't think he's confused. I think he is very clear about what he's doing, which is profiting off of other people's confusion.

That's what I said:

You're a carny riding the coat-tails of a fad, and your target audience is any rube gullible enough to be taken in by your pitch.

;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#55 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

Weyel, I dint know cuz yew used awl dat der flauwery langwedge an awl.

My stupid facebutt page.

#56 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,667 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

That's the most bastardized Welsh I've ever seen! :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#57 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:23 AM

You should see the Ali G episode where he's being taught Welsh.

Edit: Thanks youtube.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#58 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

That's excellent Ron, thanks for digging that up. I haven't seen en episode of Ali G in a dog's age.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#59 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Ali G, Cymru-style! :laugh:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#60 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Just got done reading my copy of this book. I wonder how much LTV paid to have it published. I mean, the entire book is basically one big sales tool for LTV with some widely available absinthe trivia and cocktail recipes interspersed.

Half of the cocktails call for LTV specifically.

In one section, he describes LTV as the most versatile absinthe.

Hell, there's even an entire paragraph about LTV in the part that describes different types of absinthe. Apparently now there are: French, Swiss, Bohemian and LTV.

What's really hypocritical is this passage when describing how absinthe is made:

{after describing distilled absinthe) A second, less desirable option is to mix herbal essences and artificial flavor and coloring into an alcohol base without distillation.

So, on one hand, he hails the virtues of LTV, then portrays its type of absinthe as inferior.

Was that your way to try to skirt around blatantly calling LTV the nectar of the gods?

I will give him credit in that most of the information about absinthe itself and its history is correct. It just gets lost in the LTV sales pitch.

Final word: Don't buy it. And spread the word far and wide.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association