Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

What goes good with absinthe?

I had an impromptu absinthe brunch of sorts one recent Sunday as my friend's brother was visiting from France and wanted to try a US absinthe; en bref Pacifique and croissants pair quite well :)

Not that I'd recommend eating it, but a medium-bodied cigar of relatively simple flavor complexity can make a nice pairing. I've had some pleasant times with absinthe and an Hoyo de Monterrey double corona, for example.

Edited by spectator

I recently discovered Lindt dark chocolate with Sea Salt in it... 392965_-_Exc_Sea_Salt.jpg

It goes VERY well with the Kübler I was drinking the other night - we'll see how it goes with Pacifique and Obsello tonight :)

The saltiness of bacon is a nice addition to chocolate, or so I'm told. I think I saw some bacon chocolate bars on Amazon once. I'm not sure how salty bacon chocolates will pair with absinthe, but bacon goes with everything, and chocolate has been reported as a nice compliment to absinthe. Hmm. Sounds like a test waiting to happen.

Funny you mention such an abstract treat, Z. Today at work our Caffe offered Brown Butter Bacon Toffee Truffles for dessert. Being at work, I could not pair this delight with an Absinthe but I can imagine the pairing would have been perfect with a bolder absinthe like CLB or VP. A spicy glass of Pacifique would have been enjoyable, as well!

I've tried a dozen or two different variations of chocolate with absinthe (lots of "gourmet" bars, some cookies, some biscotti, etc.), and without question, my favorite pairing is a good vert and one or two of these417TGMJYKEL.jpg

Both the taste and the texture mesh perfectly with the absinthe, especially as you swish the booze around in your mouth to enjoy the full flavor AND to get the last little crumbs of cookie!

Took your recommendation Jay, and added a couple boxes to my most recent Vitacost.com order. Can't beat $3/box and flat-rate shipping.

Surprisingly good, for a gluten-free, organic cookie.

I'm a sucker for dark chocolate anything. I recently tried some dark chocolate covered Goji berries which were less than impressive.

Dark chocolate! Yummy

Indeed!

YES!!!

Though dark chocolate goes with everything.

Yes it does...

:devil:

Not always. Anyone who says chocolate and red wine pair together in anything more than a menagerie of "bad" on the palate should be bopped in the mouth and face with a length of rubber hose.

Dark chocolate, cocoa-dusted truffles and absinthe is delicious. And while not being a big fan of Marteau, it suddenly became delicious when paired with a massive piece of a sub.

I could see how the maltiness of Guinness would work nicely juxtaposed against the relative astringency of absinthe.

Sharp cheese? Dunno about that one. Maybe a soft, intense brie.

And while not being a big fan of Marteau, it suddenly became delicious when paired with a massive piece of a sub.

The Nautilus, perhaps?

Oh wait, that would have been pre Belle Epoque. :twitchsmile:

Ron, where on Earth did you find a picture of Bill Murray drinking a glass of the Yamazaki??

Also, I concur with Captain Tom about the gouda cheese pairing... particularly, 'black pepper Gouda...' I usually have a plate with some french bread or crackers, red grapes and a few truffles in there as well. When I start to get tipsy I get the munchies!