Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

What goes good with absinthe?

As I'm fairly new to this, I would love to know what you seasoned folks feel is good if anything, to nibble upon whilst imbibing. I'm a HUGE port fan, and have that whole thing down, but absinthe...hmm.

Lemon cookies? Biscotti? Pralines? nothing at all? fresh or dried fruit? What are ye words of wisdom?

I would tend to think something light and not too sweet would work, heavy flavors would get in the way of the subtleness of a good absinthe....

Thanks in advance! -Scott

Generally, absinthe is an aperitif so think in terms of appetizers.

Also, if you poke around through various threads, you'll discover several discussions on absinthe and food pairings.

Keep your eyes and taste buds open for new flavors, too. After louching a nice spicy blanche for myself last night, Jules decided she wanted "comfort food," specifically, Frito-chili pie. After calling her several names, I gave in and I must say, the absinthe held up just fine to that culinary garbage. ;)

Frito pies rock!

To be authentic, though, they need to be made with taco meat, not chili, and the cheese has to be very coarsely shredded and bright orange.

This whole "chili" ritual in Frito pies is a recent invention- there is no historical evidence of using chili in a Frito pie before the 1970s at earliest. Regarding the levels of natural, uncolored, or finely shredded cheese, chromatographic (both GC and HPLC) studies of pre-ban Frito pies have shown very high levels of highly colored processed cheese foods- much higher than most modern Frito pies- and visual examination of period pictures of Frito pies always shows them with very large shreds of cheese.

Hopefully very soon we’ll have lots more things to add to the list mentioned above… in book form

(Semi-bump to the foodie project, which I am working on feverishly!)

wsfoodq.jpg

I've heard it on good authority that pizza and preban go marvelously together, so it stands to reason that newer absinthes should also go well with pizza.

I just did a post about chocolate and absinthe... it's on my shop blog.

Mint dark chocolate is fabulous with some absinthes; plain milk or dark chocolate better with others.

Of course, this is a subject I'm willing to do countless hours of research on... and probably treadmill time too! :laugh:

Perhaps I should switch to dried fruit...

(My shop link is in my signature.)

White fish, but not to salty, is, as far as I'm concerned what goes best with absinthe :)

Though, some cheese (Prométhée with Tête de moine was a great experience ) can be wonderful too.

I know absinthe is mainly considered as an aperitif, but a strong, herbaceous absinthe (thinking Devoille here), is also great with cake and pastries.

A good story though, about chocolate and absinthe.

I was invited to a famous absintheur's birthday party, and baked a honey and absinthe cake specially for the occasion, using Duvallon (an excellent swiss absinthe, very strong flavored) as a part of the receipe, and as a syrup to cover the cake.

We drank many a good absinthe this night (with a 2006 Verte Suisse which was a marvel), and when dessert came, we couldn't find the taste of absinthe in my cake.

At this precise time, another guest's GF proposed we tasted her chocolate cake before having another go at the absinthe one. And lo ! Suddenly the absinthe was there, powerful, fruity, etc.

Yes, absinthe and chocolate, definitely going together, revealing each other

Now if only the fish were to be cooked with absinthe as well. :devil:

I have always been partial to good crusted artisan bread and cheese.

Although the secret to a good pairing is picking the right cheese.

Gouda is usually a safe bet for me. Add some sliced heirloom tomato

and maybe some basil sprigs and voila, simple yet good. This is something

that should be more palate clearing than anything else. This is great to

have in between tasting different kinds. Promethee and Tete de moine?

Yes please. :cheers: Anyone have any more good cheese suggestions?

Surprisingly, I tried a spinach, cheese pizza that had several types of cheese...went really well with absinthe. Olive oil garlic instead of red sauce.

on the chocolate tip. I gave a friend a bottle for tattooing me a few years back, and when I saw her again a few months later it was almost gone. She said she would make licorice tea, throw a shot of absinthe in there, and toss some shaved chocolate on top of the whole thing. She said it was delicious, but I was too busy reeling from the blasphemy to comment....

on the chocolate tip. I gave a friend a bottle for tattooing me a few years back, and when I saw her again a few months later it was almost gone. She said she would make licorice tea, throw a shot of absinthe in there, and toss some shaved chocolate on top of the whole thing. She said it was delicious, but I was too busy reeling from the blasphemy to comment....

At least you got some good ink (hopefully ) out of it! My tattoo artist never got absinthe from me, but I always leave him something cool for the wall.

I've never been given a bottle of absinthe as a tip, but I got a bottle of Jameson's awhile ago from a client. I have, however, been given a sample of CLB as a tip and it was quite appreciated.

Edited by buddhasynth

Had a dark chocolate Trader Joe's caramel last night with some Pacifique. Scary good. I'm thinking any mediterranean appetizers would be great too...mini spanokopitas (spinach pies) for example....