Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Photos of your set-up

Here's my new fountain and Pontarlier glasses with spoons awaiting sugar, ice water, and the strawberry blonde mentioned in my profile under "interests". She has no idea I'm doing this, and has never had absinthe before. Ah, the suspense! (photo taken in dark room with candlelight only, 6 second exposure)

post-2823-1264206713_thumb.jpg

Edited by sbmac

From his avatar, it's obvious he's an acoustic guitar guy, so maybe what a lot of you don't realize is that the Strawberry Blonde is his amp, and he's never even kissed a girl...

4296505257_e03d6abcc1_o.jpg

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey

But what about the strawberry blond?

Ok, well, she DID drink it, despite HATING the flavor of anise. It was fun watching her face as she drank it, as she clearly did not enjoy the absinthe experience. She did however have a nice warm buzz when all was said and done. I doubt she will ever drink this again however! I do have a few friends coming by thurs to have some however, but they're all guys damn it.....

Well you tried. Some folks just don't warm up to a nice glass of absinthe. My wife doesn't care for absinthe either. She stays out of my booze and I don't drink her Pepsi. A pretty fair deal I think.

Nice effort, Cheers!

Wow! Man, what a nice little set up! I'm waiting on my French Mazagrans c. 1910 to try such a thing on my auburn goddess. She has expressed interest in Absinthe, but has never tried it. When it happens, I will be sure to capture a picture of my presentation and bring it here!

Ok, well, she DID drink it, despite HATING the flavor of anise. It was fun watching her face as she drank it, as she clearly did not enjoy the absinthe experience.

How did you prepare it? Water ratio, sugar...?

Gorgeous photo!

I didn't care for the flavour at first (not an anise fan either), but kept with it and changed water ratios, sugar - no sugar, etc. I had a certain determination to like absinthe and it didn't take long (even though I was stuck with Absente for far too long way-back-when) before I fell in love with the stuff. Then after my first 'proper' bottle, there was no going back.

I don't typically do that with food or drink that I don't care for-- beer being a substance I have never managed to elevate from a gag reflex reaction.

Keep up that gorgeous, romantic fountain set-up and absinthe just might grow on her.

And if not... more for you! :laugh:

Ok, well, she DID drink it, despite HATING the flavor of anise. It was fun watching her face as she drank it, as she clearly did not enjoy the absinthe experience.

How did you prepare it? Water ratio, sugar...?

3:1 via the fountain and very cold ice water and a cube n the spoon. Pontarlier glasses. Even at 20:1 she would have cringed I fear...HATED the taste of "licorice" as she said.

Edited by sbmac

I have friends who hate licorice and they eventually came to enjoy absinthe. Mostly by having absinthes with relatively low anise compared to wormwood or with really strong, unusual secondary flavours like peppermint.

My experience is that if you hate a flavour, anything remotely similar is that flavour. The reaction to it is so strong that there is no detecting differences, no detecting any other ingredients. The thing you don't like blankets your perception. But if you keep at it, and try brands that mitigate the thing you don't like you can start to tell a difference. Funny thing is that I used to be a big licorice candy fanatic before drinking absinthe, and now I don't really like licorice all that much anymore (when I taste it I automatically think of cheap, crappy absinthe).

Now, I don't know if it would even be worth the effort for her, but it's something to think about.

I agree completely Peridot...Once my wife has something in her head however, it's over until the next ice age. It will be friends and absinthe for me, sans wife I'm afraid! Still, could be worse... She loves me despite me being a huge goofball, so who's to complain?!

Sbmac,

that looks like a great entry for the 2011 Wormwood Society calendar. :cheers:

My wife can't/won't drink absinthe either. More for us!

:g: I was hoping for more than just the one photo. That is a beautiful looking set up (& photo) sbmac.

My wife only humors me with a sip from my glass with a verte, but she did enjoy a 5:1 La Clandestine of her own with sugar.

:thumbup: Oh that's more like it!!

Phoenix, that is a beautiful shot. The more I see those labels, the more I like them. The glass is beautiful and isn't that fountain a handmade by a local artist? I really like it.

sbmac, I've never seen one of those before, what is it called and where did you find it? I can't pour a fine stream to save my louche.

The blazer looks good in the shot. Is the project all absinthe related? Will we get to see it here (I hope)?

Thanks guys, you rawk.

Excellent photo Phoenix! :cheers:

The glass is beautiful and isn't that fountain a handmade by a local artist? I really like it.

He probably lives closer to us than Phoenix. :pirate:

Hmm...I think I may have one of those fountains on the way pretty soon. I hear the guy who makes them lives under the stairs in an abandoned movie theatre drinking Le Tourment Verte all day long! :devil:

He probably lives closer to us than Phoenix. :pirate:

I think you're right, according to local folklore, and sbmac :pirate:

I hear the guy who makes them lives under the stairs in an abandoned movie theatre drinking Le Tourment Verte all day long! :devil:

:laf:

and I second Ron on that too :thumbup: