Gwydion Stone

Paid Advertising to Support WS: Discuss

We're still looking at a particular solution for the pod/vid-cast, but it hit the back burner again when my priorities had to shift. I'd like to follow up with that soon; I'll be seeing the guys in a couple weeks for a different project.

Re: podcasts

I would also be totally happy to volunteer do any necessary audio editing, I've done it for fun and for (small) profit for the last five years. Also more than happy to help other folks with audio production tools on the ins and outs of publishing a podcast, creating an RSS feed etc. if needed.

I think a standard review and discussion program (could even be a call in show where folks can ask questions of a knowledgeable host), featuring some of our most experienced people as well as maybe some equipment reviews, and vendor information would be easy to put together. Our lovely logo would look very nice on iTunes, which would again draw people to the site.

Interviews with distillers, herb growers, retailers etc. would also make for great content. Promotional spots could also be recorded for these programs as sold advertising revenue. There are also podcast hosting companies that can help your program find advertisers (which will likely not be absinthe related) to offset hosting costs etc.

Sounds like we have lots of talented folks here that can help make this happen. Also, could the yearly WWS calendar be a money maker? Perhaps sold through an outlet like Zazzle or Cafe Press?

Reading lots of great ideas, hopefully we can implement some. :cheers:

- Robynn

That would be a rocking program.

Another thing that we can do is increase the price of future volumes of the music compilation by a couple bucks. It was sold really, really cheap this time just to try to get people to buy it. And it sold vastly more than expected (111 copies as of now). Selling it for $4 or $5 would still be ridiculously cheap, especially since people often bought them in bulk and thereby significantly reduced the shipping cost per disc.

That would be a rocking program.

Another thing that we can do is increase the price of future volumes of the music compilation by a couple bucks. It was sold really, really cheap this time just to try to get people to buy it. And it sold vastly more than expected (111 copies as of now). Selling it for $4 or $5 would still be ridiculously cheap, especially since people often bought them in bulk and thereby significantly reduced the shipping cost per disc.

Or make it available as a download...most have the capability to burn a disc..save disc and shipping cost..and still charge enough to assist the WS site..added convenience and instant receipt..Just a thought..

Sounds good to me but I really like the artwork on the disk and liner notes or whatever they're called.

Do both!

<------ not an audiophile. My hearing isn't top quality anymore.

Sounds good to me but I really like the artwork on the disk and liner notes or whatever they're called.

Do both!

<------ not an audiophile. My hearing isn't top quality anymore.

Yes..$$$

Oh, and by the way I'm ready to wear my silver cup with pride. ;) I switched from an anonymous plan to a normal one.

I was shocked at how inexpensive the CD was really, and although I certainly understand the reasoning for it (good thinking Peridot), I can't help but think about the extra $111 to $333 that could have ended up in the WS piggy bank. There is always next time though.

The calendar was through Cafe Press as I recall. Was there a markup on that? I know they make it a pain to actually get your profits though (no check until you've earned 'X' amount), and again it was something fun for the members more than a money making deal.

But that reminds me, I do wish we would consider a hardcover coffee table book of photos. I've had good luck with blurb.com personally, but I know there are other sites that do this sort of thing too. It might be worth seeing which site offers to highest potential profit margin for a good quality book. Just a thought!

I do wish we would consider a hardcover coffee table book of photos

I've made that same suggestion. There are so many terrific pix that IMHO a calendar wouldn't have enough months. I know absolutely nothing about building a book. I was asked to write one ....once. People prey upon my weak points. It's the law!

:cheers: