Heavy Harpoon

Absinthe on Youtube

Aint them either- it's the nettles they were lining up for. Nettles'll make you believe you've been stung by 1000 tiny wasps. :twitchsmile:

Lance articulates everything awesomely and correctly, but it perplexes me how he can speak of doing things the traditional, authentic way, and then go on to make St. George. It's been discussed elsewhere, but it would have been much better if he came out with a faithful rendition first, or at the very least acknowledged SG is quirky from the outset.

I'd refer a lot more people to the vid were it not for that.

Edited by Green Baron

I believe he makes it the traditional way but as with each distiller, he made it the way it tasted good to him.

My opinion of St George is it's way herbal and the star anise is prominent. I'm often wrong but it's JMHO.

The louche is not pleasing to me either. JMO

Ron and I had some at a local restaurant. It's the newest in Oklahoma, I think. That brings us to 3.

Lucid, Kübler and St George. It's difficult to play the absinthe evangelist with such a short list.

Wait, we have grand absente but I've not tasted it. <shrug>

I like the way he does his videos though. He's calm, informative and speaks well. He seems like a very pleasant fellow. :cheers:

Listen to Lance and his stutterin' sidekick Dave Smith talk about the reasoning behind some of the things that the even-still-uninformed-new-WS-member might be hearing about the St. George Absinthe HERE

I've said my peace about the quirkousity, but I hear what you're saying Bill. I think it would probably be pretty cool to louche a glass and shoot the shit with those guys. :cheers:

Edited by Green Baron

Indeed!

Of course, we all know that those people were lining up in droves for the hallucinatory effect from the basil, and tarragon, not the thujone, Lance. :laugh:

And a little over an hour after I post, he chimes in! :laugh: I knew he would!

I've only had the stuff once, but from what I remember, I really liked it. It's overpriced, for sure. But the flavor profile isn't horrible. Too much star anise, from memory, but not awful.

Okay guys: here is a

my wife and I made on New Years Day. We entered it in a Facebook contest Pernod was putting on as a laugh, but then we wound up getting second place. I really wish it had been a different company since now they have full rights to the piece, but oh well; it didn't cost more than $50 bucks to make and was a lot of fun.

The prop seen here as a "time machine" is part of a larger project I've been working on about an invasion of Mars in 1905 as a response to War of the Worlds. Absinthe will be making an appearance in that project too: they'll need *something* to purify the Martian water before drinking it, right??

Okay guys: here is a
my wife and I made on New Years Day.

Very cool...I particularly liked the look of the machine, though of course the ending was the best part of all!

:cheers:

Yes, I found 2 versions of the Martinez. I guess I'll have to try it both ways. When I copied it I thought there was an error, so I could be the one who in error. So, check this and this. I let the majority rule since I found 2 that called for the larger volume of genever. I was looking for uses for the genever and found the reference here for the Pegu Club.

I have to admit that I was initially skeptical of your sources, Tech, but I was making an Old Tom cocktail last night and lo and behold, there was a recipe for the Martinez right on the back of the Hayman's bottle:

1 oz. Sweet French Vermouth

1 oz. Hayman's Old Tom Gin

2 dashes Maraschino

1 dash Orange Bitters

Stir over ice and strain.

It's not your 2 parts genever to 1 part vermouth recipe. but it's not the standard recipe I've always seen either. And if it's good enough for Hayman's... I may need to give it a shot.

Thanks. Too bad they don't show them making absinthe. Although at one point it looked like guests were macerating herbs in a barrel while drinking Taboo.

I wish some of his other drinks were available here.

I had the impression that Akveld's Absinthe basically uses the Helfrich formula, and Serge gave his blessing since Helfrich was going out of production. I don't know how much he had to do with the actual distillation. I definitely hope to try both the verte and blanche in the future.

EDIT:

From absinthia.be

When Mr S. Helfrich announced the end of his production of "Absinthe Helfrich" in late 2009, it drew many responses of regret from absinthe enthusiasts around the world. Similarly from Ton Akveld, who shortly thereafter purchased the installation and recipes from Helfrich. Today he brings you these recipes under the name of "Akveld's Artisanale Absinthe" (or shortly "AAA") "Receptuur Helfrich".
Edited by Green Baron

Kids, don't try that at home.

p.s. what kind of shit absinthe was that anyway?

No one should try that anywhere, and if you end up in a bar like that the only thing that should be backwards, should be you walking out