Heavy Harpoon

Absinthe on Youtube

I wasn't planning on posting this here, but since the thread was created, I thought, Why not?

It's a vid featuring a chugging drink called the

. *shudder*

Scripting could've been better, as well as lighting, but it was an off-hand thing done on a whim based on a conversation at TARN.

It also gives you a small glimpse of part of my bar, although most of the absinthe is behind the camera, unfortunately.

Brian- you didn't even burp after you destroyed that 'incredible hulk.' You need to come to Chicago and drink with me some time. :cheers:

Already discussed here.

Jesus! How did I miss this?! Not that I'd expect anything less from this rampant asshat. Hilarious. How do guys like this get an audience by manufacturing facts in their heads and then vomiting it out with no regard?

Edit: Wrote that before I was half way through. It actually took a bit effort to make in to the end.

Edited by precenphix

I almost thought that guy was going to pee his pants at the beginning of the episode. It was funny that he said "Veaux Carre" as opposed to "Vieux", typical American that can't say a French word.

His information was honest and good. Thanks techdiver. BTW, did you find any good genever recipes? I have a bottle sitting here that I don't know what to do with, cocktail wise that is.

Martinez:

1 oz Italian vermouth

2 oz Genever (either Oude or Jonge should do)

¼ oz Luxardo maraschino

2 dashes Agnostura Orange bitters

Stir over ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist

Rembrandt Cocktail:

1 3/4 oz genever

1/2 oz dry vermouth

1/4 oz Drambuie

stir over ice, strain into cocktail glass, garnish with orange twist

Improved Holland Gin Cocktail:

2 ounces genever

1 teaspoon rich simple syrup (2 parts sugar to one part water)

1/2 teaspoon maraschino liqueur

2 dashes angostura bitters

1 dash absinthe

Shake well with plenty of ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

Sweet City:

Ingredients:

1 oz genever gin

1 oz sweet vermouth

1 oz apricot brandy

orange zest for garnish

Preparation:

1.Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

2.Shake well.

3.Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4.Garnish with a strip of orange zest.

Pegu Club Cocktail:

Ingredients:

2 oz genever gin

3/4 oz orange liqueur

1/2 oz lime juice

2 dashes Angostura bitters

lime wedge or peel for garnish

Preparation:

1.Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

2.Shake well.

3.Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

1.Garnish with a lime wedge or peel.

Interesting recipes, TD. I'm curious about your source(s). Most of the recipes I've seen for the Martinez reverse the standard martini proportions of gin to vermouth--i.e., they call for two parts vermouth to one part gin. And (going back to the 1887 Jerry T. recipe) they typically call for a lighter style of gin like Old Tom rather than genever. I've never seen a Pegu Club recipe calling for genever, either--it's usually a drink made with London dry gin.

The Sweet City sounds tasty, though. I'll have to give that a try.

Edited by AiO

Yes, I found 2 versions of the Martinez. I guess I'll have to try it both ways. When I copied it I thought there was an error, so I could be the one who in error. So, check this and this. I let the majority rule since I found 2 that called for the larger volume of genever. I was looking for uses for the genever and found the reference here for the Pegu Club.

Thanks for the video Techdiver.*thumbsup*

That video was about as good as any I've seen. The guy was jazzed and appeared honest in his take on the drink. It was fun to watch. I enjoyed his take on each drink. *smile*

:cheers:

Maybe this has already been posted elsewhere, but...

Check out

on YouTube, a super low-rent hip-hop video made entirely from imagery stolen from the WS website! Maybe you'll see your own avatar, like pt447's, or one of the pictures you submitted for the WS calendar project, like my uranium glass picture, which dominates the comments section because everybody thinks my glowing uranium glass is actually the absinthe itself glowing green.

There is at least one painting by one of our members, and tons of pictures stolen from vendor sites, as well.

The song is memorable for it's claim that "you don't throw up, don't throw up, don't throw up. Drinkin' on dat absinthe makes you don't throw up, don't throw up..."

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey

WB, you could probably get that video taken down for using that image without permission. Videos get taken down regularly on YouTube for that kind of thing.

Normally this kind of thing would get under my skin. But in this guy's case, it's so bad, juvenile and otherwise ill-inspired that it’s funny. Dude sounds like he’s a few fries short of a Happy Meal™. This kind of garbage not only gives absinthe a bad name, but hip-hop a bad name. I almost feel sorry for him.

Almost...

Indeed!

Of course, we all know that those people were lining up in droves for the hallucinatory effect from the basil, and tarragon, not the thujone, Lance. :laugh: