Heavy Harpoon

Absinthe on Youtube

I'm starting this thread for any interesting videos we find while roaming the internets, good or bad. I think now that websites like youtube and vimeo are getting so popular, this thread can be used to bring any interesting videos to the attention of others.

Little G, that was way neat. I enjoy the balancier but I've never seen it used with sugar like that. Pretty dang nice. That may have been on here another time and I may have missed it but I was impressed by the simplicity and efficiency of the thing. Very nice! :thumbup:

I don't really get out much. :cheers:

Bill, thank you!

I was battling with a method of using it to drip on the sugar like with my fountain (but not having to set the fountain up - something fast and easy), but was failing miserably. I finally decided to sacrifice a spoon, and with a pair of pliers and a vise, succeded in creating just what I was looking for. Kinda neat watching the cubes melt away as the balancier teeters back and forth. Not as dramatic of a louche, but still quite entertaining.

Now, if I just was competent enough to put music to it... but I kinda like hearing the balancier clicking too.

Thanks again!

G.......

Not sure if this is actually the best spot for this link, nor even sure if anyone would be interested, but eh... might as well anyhow.

On 12/05/2009 I went to a lecture in Houston given by Ted Breaux, master craftsman of Jade absinthes in France.

I had a chance to speak with Ted after the lecture - he's a really great guy. It was a very informative lecture, and hopefully you will enjoy it too. I wish the video was better, it would be a great tool to help people understand about absinthe, and the bad rep it has received due to misinformation.

The vid was made with my cellphone cam, and isn't the best quality, but is viewable. Since I was having to hold my phone up in the air over my head for the whole hour and twenty some-odd minutes, yes, there is a bit of shaking and some movement in the recording, due to my arm getting tired from lack of blood flow... *grin*.

Anyhow, for any interested, ENJOY THE VIDEO! :cheerz:

The link below is a direct download link to the video:

http://www.wwpdx.com/Files/Absinthe_Lecture.avi

Note: LARGE file - 200+ megs download

Video is in .avi format so should play on most players.

This video is uploaded on one of my websites, and I assure you all it is a safe download.

Anyhow, for any interested, ENJOY THE VIDEO! :cheerz:

The link below is a direct download link to the video:

http://www.wwpdx.com/Files/Absinthe_Lecture.avi

Note: LARGE file - 200+ megs download

Video is in .avi format so should play on most players.

This video is uploaded on one of my websites, and I assure you all it is a safe download.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear his lecture. I'm not sure how much I could do, but if you wanted me to I could take the audio and try to clean it up a little. I don't know how to sync it back to the video, though, nor am I 100% sure the clipping can be alleviated, but I can try!

Scuto, please feel free to help yourself. I am simply posting it up because I really enjoyed the lecture, and felt it was worth sharing with the other members here.

Like I said, my apologies for the video quality, but in all honesty, I really wish I had brought my camera instead of having to use my cell phone.

If you feel you can make it better, feel free. I did what I could with what I had at the time.

G.........

Fiddling with digital audio is something I find fun, so I offered. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to diss your efforts; I'm grateful you took the time--and your arm strength--to make it availablel! :)

No disrespect taken. As I said, please feel free. I know it's a crappy phone-cam vid, so any improvement is just that - an improvement. If you can make it better for anyone else then I would appreciate you doing so.

Please don't mistake my reply as sarcasm, it was not.

Myself, i'm not extremely pleased with the recording from my phone, but I realize that it's better than no recording at all.

Thanks again for the effort.

G.........

I couldn't edit the message above, so I'll add with this double-post that The Green Imp has a segment on Herbsaint in the lecture. Good stuff!

Gah! Triple post! (I can has edit?)

I'm reporting back to say that what I thought I could do to the audio in fact does not work. :no:

Sorry about the editing; I knew it would be a pain. In the meantime we'll all have to be tolerant of double and triple posts.

On topic, I wrote a nice note to the woman who posted the NYE video and received this kind response:

Re: Your absinthe video ...

thank you for sharing, I appreciate you and I have removed the video...

Namaste

Well, at least it appears she was conscientious enough to acknowledge that she was spreading incorrect info and removed it.

Gotta give her credit for that.

She could have just said kiss off or something.

And yes, that is a friendly reply.

Well done!

Edit because I didn't like the wording after reading what I posted, and changed they to she. *shrug*

Edited by Little G

We've put up a collection on the Clandestine site.

Best one there is probably the first one: the 2004 Thirsty Traveler clip which I don't think exists on YouTube and which Kevin gave us special permission to put on our site (but only if we edited out the French section).

Links there to several of the Swiss TV clips including a personal favourite when Couvet was named worst town in Switzerland and CAB showed the reporter that it didn't deserve this title.

Edit: To add

Edited by Alan Moss