Sign in to follow this  
GrayWolf

The GW limited edition silver grill

Yes peeps, it's well on the way. The design is ready, but I'm thinking of torturing the lot of you and not showing it -yet-. I will however tell you that it involves celtic knotwork (and a bunch of it at that). It will probably hold a peridot gem in the middle of the grill as well.

Possibly ten spoons will be made, in silver.. but I'll keep you all updated.

Geez, there are nearly 200 members (give or take a few purges) and you are only making 10? I smell internecine warfare in the making. Gauntlets are already being dropped...

Any estimate on the price? Timeframe?

Well, it's probably going to be a fairly high price. It'll be 1mm thick silver, with HEAVY detailing on the knotwork. I'd like to keep orders to one per person.. since only ten will be made for the moment. I might up the number a bit, depending on how much I can get from my sponsor.

Still debating on using a new alloy that contains germanium, and is.. well.. basically stainless silver. But then again staining has it charmes, especially with knotwork involved.

As for a price estimate, none as of yet really since i can't state a number because it might be too low or too high. As a rough rough guess I'd say between $190 and $280 per grill.. but again, this is no quote to go with yet.

I would suggest against the stainless silver option. There are many ways to clean and/or protect silver for those that want a shinny spoon. However silver can patina quite nicely with a rather stable oily coating (depending on how it darkens).

Yeah, I already went against that new alloy thing since I like to darken the lines a bit

I think our 200 member number will go down due to murders when these come out...

Actually, you being Dutch and all, why not try to do some beautiful ancient 'La Tene' styling instead of Celtic?

:)

Because I have 'La Tene' coming out of my nose since my study time for Pictish and illuminated arts at the art academy, but still love knotting.

'The silver grill murders'... sounds like one of those bad crimi stories

Yes, La Tene is from a place in Switzerland were the first definite artifacts of a Celtic culture were found. But it is also a term used for the a certain styling, 'La Tene' work is most often referring too the rather swirly spirally works of which a lot was found there.

yup

The number has been upped to 20 spoons.. but that's the limit when for the finance

I think our 200 member number will go down due to murders when these come out...

Actually, you being Dutch and all, why not try to do some beautiful ancient 'La Tene' styling instead of Celtic?

:)

You're forgetting that the Celts used to occupy most of central Europe until the Romans pushed them into the Brittish Isles.

Oh, not just europe.. what about the Thrace settlements.. and well.. all over really ;)

But it was the La Tene find that seperated the Celts as 'The Celts' for the first time, with their own traditions and life-style

All good points.

Maybe a hibero-saxon grille? Say, a tiny wolf eating a tiny bear, spiraled around the edge of the spoon?

Yup, Neuchatel is where some of the earliest examples came from.

And 2000 years later, they gave us absinthe. Love those blokes!

ah don't worry, the design is already final. It has knotting, and yes.. I could not keep the triskel out of it... plus a few spirals.

but that's all I'm letting go about it at the moment