Alan Moss

Should we have an 'Editor's Review'?

The Wormwood Society is proud to announce that Peridot has joined the ranks of the editor review team!

Please welcome him to his new position!

What? Premature?

It happens sometimes!!

:cheers:

You're right that it sucks that Brian's is usually the editor review. I took my reviews down when I went pro, Marc doesn't do reviews for the same reason and now Joe can't either, at least not as an editor.

I nominate you to be included in the editor list. Serious as a heart attack.

I sincerely appreciate that. It's an honour to be asked, as well as the vote of confidence from members.

I have conflicted feelings about it, though, and logistical issues too. One is that it doesn't really address the issues I have with the system, and although it would make me feel more obligated to review stuff, I didn't raise a stink to be made an editor, and I don't want people to think that being obnoxious will get you rewarded. I'm not jealous of Brian getting all the attention, and getting the same attention doesn't make me like the system more. I don't want to be hypocritical. I don't think my reviews are as good as Brian's, and that's not really my issue. If he ran a blog that had only his reviews on them I'd add it to my Google Reader. It's just that I find more value in the community approach for WS.

I also am unable to get my hands on many absinthes to review right now without people donating them, and good god have I gotten enough unreciprocated donations from folks here to feel two inches tall. :)

It's hard to say no to that, so I'm not going to. I'm just saying I don't know at the moment.

I assure you, being an old fuck ain't no joke to us, whippersnapper!...except for Brian, Peridot, Buddhasynth, Ben, and Boggy who don't actually qualify as old fucks. :laugh: :cheers:

Maybe just fucks! :devil:

Everyone here has different tastes. When I read reviews after I've had the product, I learn more about the reviewers and the ones with similar thoughts/tastes as mine are looked for first. So, the more reviews the better. Some people like duck and some don't.

Editor's review is just another review to me. I don't have to agree with it but it's not a bad place to start. It's a good place to see how his and mine compare. We're all fairly open minded or we wouldn't be here.

Again...someone who has things in perspective.

In my head I have an image of you running around with an armful of clear plastic pages with screencaps of your posts printed on them, trying with your free hand to gather up a bunch of screencaps that are frenetically running around your feet.

I haven't done any drugs. It's making me laugh a lot though.

Of course, the post I was referring to that said, "Lost control of the posts" was deleted, making my response seem like a non sequitur.

... I think Brian is mis-stating the way the function works: we don't manually choose which review gets to be an editor review each time.

Much to my own amazement, I'm wrong. Well not wrong, but mistaken. We don't choose editor reviews that way, but contrary to my assumption, the software will allow us to.

The Wormwood Society is proud to announce that Peridot has joined the ranks of the editor review team!

Please welcome him to his new position!

What? Premature?...

Now won't you feel like crap if the Board decides not to go for it? ;)

... I nominate you to be included in the editor list. Serious as a heart attack.
I sincerely appreciate that. It's an honour to be asked, as well as the vote of confidence from members.

I have conflicted feelings about it, though, and logistical issues too. One is that it doesn't really address the issues I have with the system,

Sure it does. See below.

...and although it would make me feel more obligated to review stuff, I didn't raise a stink to be made an editor, and I don't want people to think that being obnoxious will get you rewarded.

Are you kidding? People out there think being obnoxious will get you banned.

I'm not jealous of Brian getting all the attention, and getting the same attention doesn't make me like the system more.

I didn't suggest it to make you like the system, but it goes a ways toward making the system better.

Part of your objection is that the Editor Reviews can be taken for the only, or at least most authoritative reviews, which is only true in a partial sense. It's also false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

At any rate, I think having more "editors" reviewing absinthe as well as perhaps a better explanation of why one review is set aside may go even farther. If we go this route, we'll have to rethink the nomenclature of these reviews, so as not to confuse the matter with Brian's role. I'm inclined to go back to expert review.

I'm making a lot of noise and being a jackass! Give me stuff!

Again...someone who has things in perspective.

I haven't done any drugs (tonight). It's making me laugh a lot though.

Hmmm.

Okay, I'll do it, if the board approves. This doesn't eliminate my issues with the system, and I'd still like to consider ways to make it better.

I still think the Brian's idea from before is a great one. And as for your idea about renaming it, why don't you go with Brian's other idea, calling it "featured review?" "Expert" makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't think it's totally accurate.

Hmmm.

Okay, I'll do it, if the board approves. This doesn't eliminate my issues with the system, and I'd still like to consider ways to make it better.

I still think the Brian's idea from before is a great one. And as for your idea about renaming it, why don't you go with Brian's other idea, calling it "featured review?" "Expert" makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't think it's totally accurate.

I'm all about making things better.

There's nothing super-human about being an expert and it never means that a given individual is the last word on the subject, only that his/her experience through experimentation gives them expertise. The literal meaning of the word is that the person has advanced, real-life, first-hand knowledge.

We have other members that fall into that category. Perhaps this is a great way to encourage everyone to get those reviews in.

Of course, the post I was referring to that said, "Lost control of the posts" was deleted, making my response seem like a non sequitur.

As I understood his wishes, I only deleted the post that was completely blank. I assume precenphix edited his post after that.

I'm inclined to go back to expert review.

Perhaps, since experience at reviewing is the main issue here, this designation should be given to the top ten reviewers. This would make it a relatively fluid "title", and encourage more people to submit reviews.

I think that might be able to work as a guideline, but it should then be subject to review and approval. Some people might post a lot of reviews, but still just might not get what a real review is all about.

I think you're right. As what just coincidentally happened with Peridot being nominated by Gwydion, I think we need to acknowledge something more substantial than the number of posts. I don't think anyone would argue with Peridot's understanding of what absinthe is or should be. He has clearly demonstrated that time and again.

A nomination process makes much more sense to me.

If it gets to be a burden, you can always go commercial!

TimRobbins.jpg

We have other members that fall into that category.
A nomination process makes much more sense to me.

Sounds like a new group of users should be created in the software for the main site, with the specific purpose of being expert reviewers (or featured reviewers if the name swings that direction). The Board can vote for those they consider to be solid reviewers and add them to that group. Any review made by those folks will be the featured review by default.

No need to create a new group. As mentioned previously, there's already a list of people who fit that category. Anyone else who is voted in will just get added to that list.

When a new product goes up, the first person from that list who posts a review gets listed as the (what is now called) 'Editor's Review'. Any subsequent reviews from that list of people just get added to the consumer reviews.

I think that might be able to work as a guideline, but it should then be subject to review and approval. Some people might post a lot of reviews, but still just might not get what a real review is all about.

Agreed.

I think the vast majority of the top ten reviewers do get it, (as is evidenced by their "Helpful" pecentages), but I did notice one individual (who I don't think posts here, as a rule) with barely above a 50% rate, who might not quite have the reviewing thing down.

Eh, it's over? Dammit, I love getting push alerts indicating new opposing arguments. Absomphe, shoot me a text next time, will ya? Thx ;)

In all seriousness, there's not much to say here that wouldn't open the door for another round of disagreements, but I'm glad it is now settled to the point that a conscious effort is being made by both parties to compromise and improve. Both Brian/Gwydion and Peridot had completely valid concerns, and despite not seeing eye-to-eye it seems this discussion has shed some light on where members stand. That sort of insight is always valuable, so while this discussion meant a good deal of time was invested for all involved, I think we all have a better idea of how to proceed from here.

If there's one thing I've gleaned from this thread personally, it's that even I have admittedly dropped the ball with Absinthe Review when the promised User Reviews did not materialize. While much of this was attributed to my technical ignorance, with the Mafia's permission to mimic their survey-based review submissions last month I have no excuse. Thank you peridot; although indirectly, you have given me enough of a nudge to wake up and see that if anyone has been neglecting the significance of user input, it's probably been me. :3869-sadbanana:

And for many users at all the various forums that may have read this thread, I think it will give them encouragement to take their reviews more seriously knowing the volume of potential imbibers it may influence. I'm sure most of us are already aware of the thousands of non-registered visitors that frequent the major absinthe sites each month, but sometimes hearing it again is a welcome reminder of what an impact even a single review or forum post can have.

You know what? With all this meaningful reflection and whatnot I'd say we're winners all around. :)

I assure you, being an old fuck ain't no joke to us, whippersnapper!...except for Brian, Peridot, Buddhasynth, Ben, and Boggy who don't actually qualify as old fucks. :laugh: :cheers:

Maybe just fucks! :devil:

Dunno about the rest of 'em, but I'll take the title of being a fuck. Cheers to all, and happy new year, fellow fucks. :wave2:

...but I'm glad it is now settled to the point that a conscious effort is being made by both parties to compromise and improve....

In my four years (anniversary in two days) with The Wormwood Society, that has been the Benchmark of the way things have been done. Perhaps there have been mistakes because we are all human but the single directive has been clear despite what the malcontents might say. How can we provide better absinthe education in a positive atmosphere is what we do and continuously question ourselves. Seriously, Ben, would you expect less from us? :cheers:

Wait a minute...

I read four pages of arguments put up by peridot against the editor's review section and now that he's being asked to be an editor review he doesn't mind the editor reviewer section?

I think I better go back and re-read those last 3-4 pages. I think I missed something.

Exactly. And from there it has lead to a discussion about further expanding the group that can post Editor's Reviews. It is pretty clear that it won't be going away any time soon, but the more people who do it, the better, in my opinion.