welder77

New To absinthe with a question

hey guys. i know that absente is not reall absinthe at all,but i recently recived a bottle for christmas and i happend to read the back. It now says made with wormwood and i looked to see if it said the non thujone containing soythern wormwood and it didnt. It said now with the legendary botanical wormwood aka artemisha absinthium. im just wondering if they now a small amount of thujone or if the label is a lie?

Sounds like you have a bottle of 'Grande Absente' which does contain wormwood and is a real absinthe (kinda). The original Absente does not contain wormwood. BTW, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Yeah, it meets the barest of essentials to be absinthe... although I think it has added sugar, in which case it would not actually be.

Thujone is a red herring. Wormwood matters, but not for that reason.

Welcome! Congrats on your first absinthe!

Jump on over the Newcomers Introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself. We're all pretty helpful so we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Grande Absente is indeed real absinthe, but thujone has nothing to do with this, actually. It's a decent intro to the world of absinthe, but if you read up a bit, you'll find plenty others available in the states and elsewhere that are vastly superior to the bottle you have right now.

thanks for the input guys,and i will head over to the newcomers page in a lil bit,also it was a christmas present i plan on ordering a bottle of Jade PF 1901 absinthe soon because of how the reviews are it seems like the best.but its not the grand absente its the regular absente,ive included to image shack links with pics because it wont let me upload but i would really like to know if the regular absente is now changed any more help would be greatly appreciated.

http://img189.imageshack.us/g/dsc0134se.jpg/

Now that's an interesting development. If Absente has indeed changed its recipe, then what would be the point of Grande Absente? The only thing I can think is that the bottle you have is the Absente that has been sold outside of the US for several years, but it seems like it's the US label.

Weird.

Absente was the first absinthe-y thing I ever had. I liked it at the time, but it's pretty foul now. You get spoiled pretty quickly. It really doesn't taste anything like a properly made absinthe.

yes.i know of the store my friend purchased it for me is to. but i also noted the grande abesnte is 138 proof as the original is 110. maybe thats the reason for the grande. but i did find it weird to see its now made with the artemisa absinthium and did not beleive it when i first saw it

It looks like what you have there is a bitters made with plants/botanicals of absinthe. I'm no expert, but I think that means that the wormwood is not used in the distillation process. Someone correct me.

Ach, und wilkommen.

Welder, an "oil mix" is essentially when you simply add "flavoring oils" to a neutral spirit in order to make it taste like absinthe. True absinthe has to be distilled after maceration of the botonicals, much the same way gin is made. If you were to make a gin the same way an "oil mix" absinthe is, it could be referred to as "bathtub gin" (or "compond gin" if you want to be technical).

Now that's an interesting development. If Absente has indeed changed its recipe, then what would be the point of Grande Absente? The only thing I can think is that the bottle you have is the Absente that has been sold outside of the US for several years, but it seems like it's the US label.

Weird.

I announced this over 8 months ago. The re-launched Absente is to allow them to continue to compete at the lower end of the market while GA alllows them to compete with Lucid, Pernod etc. No different from a company with a range of cognacs from VS/Three Star to VSOP to XO etc.

Well, it's a little bit different.

I can't imagine how anyone could have missed your announcement about Absente in the US La Valote thread. :)

You're right.

The list on my blog remains the best place to see all the US approvals and thus the probable upcoming launches. Of the 64 approvals, 16 (at least) have not yet hit the market.

No different from a company with a range of cognacs from VS/Three Star to VSOP to XO etc.

Well, I'd say it's quite a bit different, since the both are basically unaged, artificially colored oil mixes with similar ingredients.

Yes, I missed that announcement. Given its location. Good to know though!

I meant the principle of having a range that covers several price/quality sectors.

Cognac companies do that (VS >> VSOP >> XO etc)

Champagne companies do that (Moet >> Dom Perignon)

Scotch companies do that (Johnnie Walker Red >> Black >> Blue etc)

La Fée and Absente both have a range covering several price/quality sectors. I am not passing any comment on the specific quality; just on the fact that this is not an unusual practice.