tayker

Should a blanche get a 4 or 5 for color?

The first couple carboys in that picture could be kept and used, and all the rest dumped back into the still for another run, I would think (and perhaps they were).

Sounds cost prohibitive to me. In time the tint will settle out......it did in some Blanchette that I had.

Seems to me that even the tint in the hearts will aid in the coloring. Maybe that's why some vertes get lighter/less green/dead leaf and so forth. I'm just guessing of course. The more I read the dumber I get.

All I know, I got from books or the internet and you know there is no wrong info on the internet. :)

Indeed, brother Bill!

On the tint, however, I was talking in relevance to a blanche as opposed to a verte. The coloring step on a verte will mask (or incorporate) tinting I would guess.

As far as grading a blanche, I think I'd have to be exposed to quite a few before I'd ever give one a 5.

I have looked at diamonds and thought some were as near perfect as they could be, then the gemologist dropped by my table to share his expertise. He pointed out flaws and so forth. Then he brought out an absolutely brilliant specimen, not perfect but far superior to the one I had first.

Careful with the 5's.

Add notes in the overall section about your opinion and grade. Follow the guidelines and they'll lead you to make quality reviews.

Yeah, that's a great idea.

I've used a blank text document on my PC monitor before, but more so for vertes if the indoor lighting is yellowish and might be obscuring some green.

varying degrees of non-ethanol in them

Every beverage spirit contains such. That's the source of flavors (good, bad, neutral) and hangovers.

I've come to the personal conclusion that I'm not in a position to be able to declare someone else's spirits flawed, I simply do not have the experience or knowledge to do that. It's up to the maker to decide whether something is flawed or not. jmo.

Add notes in the overall section about your opinion and grade. Follow the guidelines and they'll lead you to make quality reviews.

Excellent Advice

I've come to the personal conclusion that I'm not in a position to be able to declare someone else's spirits flawed, I simply do not have the experience or knowledge to do that. It's up to the maker to decide whether something is flawed or not. jmo.

There's a lot to be said about distillers who make an absinthe which they love, and hope others like too, and distillers who make an absinthe they have geared toward others. But surely the distiller can accept feedback, and surely consumers can give that feedback. If the distiller chooses to change anything based on the feedback, that is their choice.

It's not always roses. I would expect that producers can accept both praise and criticism.

Your neutrality is very admirable though, Cheryl!

It's up to the maker to decide whether something is flawed or not.

I have some mouthwash looking crap in my bar that I would offer as indisputably, flawed and I did not make it. Whether created accidentally (think Three Mile Island) or purposefully, as absinthe it is flawed. I will send you some if you want, Cheryl but it seems like a terrible way to start the New Year. ;)

I'm not neutral at all. There's plenty of poor quality beverage alcohol products out there, absinthe certainly included. Just because it's bad doesn't mean flawed.

Because of the near arbitrariness of the regulations any green colored vodka with a wormwood stick thrown in it can be labeled "absinthe". As an attempt at recreating a quality brand of the Belle Epoque such a beverage would be flawed. But it's no such a thing, it's just green colored vodka with a wormwood stick thrown in it with the goal of fleecing customers of their money. Sadly, fairly successful at that goal.

As a commercial producer, I learned pretty quickly that most of the bars in NYC, even very good, top bars, don't have back bars filled with artisanal, hand-crafted spirits. And most are pretty egalitarian.

How individuals stock their own personal bar is up to them. And they can be as selective and choosy as they want to be.

I decided to make a committed tear through my absinthe collection, which is mostly sample bottles and such with a glass or two left in them. I was looking through my reviews to see if I had done one for every absinthe I have and I was surprised to find I hadn't done one for Blanche de Fougerolles.

So I poured a dose into a glass and got to work. I held it up in front of my computer screen and saw debris, like black pepper. And it wasn't perfectly clear, either.

What I'm taking from this is yes, I believe a perfectly clear blanche should get a 5. We just need to be more diligent about making sure that they actually are perfectly clear.