tayker

Should a blanche get a 4 or 5 for color?

Ignore me?! Ha. Get over yourself! So far you've compared Brian's take on rating blanches as being the same thing as keeping women out of combat, and racial discrimination in the workplace. Then you called him a Republican because he offered to make you happy. Then you casually threw out there that somehow the ethics of the official reviewer and the system are in question. You're quite a character, actually. It's fun to watch.

There. I've worded it the way I meant it. Better?

For blanches, if there are no visible defects, I normally give a 4 instead of a 5 in order to keep them on equal ground with vertes, which I rarely give a 5 for color either.

That's putting vertes and blanches on equal ground. You'd prefer I give blanches a leg up?

For the last time, read the definitions of 4 and 5 for color. It's not deviating by giving a blanche a 4 if it's clear and has no visibile flaws.

If you are judging per the criteria outlined then how are blanches getting a leg up?

I've read 4 and 5, and the WS eval sheet, and still feel the same way. I don't see how blanches have a leg up because they're colorless. Its been discussed many times how important the green is to vertes. The clarity is equally important to a blanche, and some have floaties and/or are discolored.

I don't see how blanches have a leg up because they're colorless.

In your scenario, any run-of-the-mill blanche with no faults will get a 5.

Any run-of-the-mill verte without faults gets a 4.

If everything else was scored equally, then the overall score for the blanche will be higher.

See how one has a leg up from the other?

The clarity is equally important to a blanche, and some have floaties and/or are discolored.
If a blanche has floaties or is discolored, it will NOT score a 4.

I don't see how blanches have a leg up because they're colorless.

I guess I have to spell it out for you.

In your scenario, any run-of-the-mill blanche with no faults will get a 5.

Any run-of-the-mill verte without faults gets a 4.

See how one has a leg up from the other???

In my scenario you're wrong. If the verte meets the criteria outlined then it gets a 5.

Therein lies the problem; you're inflating your scores. 5 should be reserved for the best of the best. Not just average with no faults.

What verte would get a 4? Give me an example.

To clarify, a rating of 4 means it is correct with no flaws. A rating of 5 means it's exceptional. Giving a rating of 4 is not implying that it has any faults at all.

I don't see it as inflating the score if both meet all of the requirements.

What verte would get a 4? Give me an example.

Meadow of Love got close to a 4 from me. It's posted in the reviews.

/sorry DP :(

I think all he's saying is that it doesn't sound like some members, including the editor, are scoring based on the prescribed criteria, and he either wants that to change or the criteria to change.

If the MoL had more of a substantial color, to me (I also video'd and took pics), it would've received a better score. So, per the WS evaluation sheet, it had a flaws and didn't warrant a 5.

If it had flaws, then it shouldn't be a 4. Flaws are reserved for numbers 3-1.

4 denotes correct.

5 denotes exceptional.

Both 4 and 5 denote the absence of flaws.

My review gave it a 3.8

That being said, per the WS review site:

"4 = Clear, bright and natural. Very attractive.5 = Absolutely beautiful. Perfect." 4 isn't flawless, IMO.

Whether that's your opinion or not, that's not the point.

I think this discussion has run its course. You have a separate opinion of what the criteria each mean, regardless of what their meanings really are. There's not much more we say with that being the case.

I've explained to you that both 4 and 5 are ratings for absinthes without flaws (floaties, too dark, too light, off color, etc), but you don't agree. That's fine, but it means you aren't using the system correctly.

I've explained to you that both 4 and 5 are ratings for absinthes without flaws (floaties, too dark, too light, off color, etc), but you don't agree. That's fine, but it means you aren't using the system correctly.

How am I not using it correctly? I was with you up to that last bit.

Perfect = flawless. People with flaws can be "very attractive."

4 isn't flawless, IMO.

You're getting caught up in symantecs.

Both 4 and 5 are ratings for absinthes without color flaws. But a 5 rating should be reserved for the best of the best. A 'run-of-the-mill' absinthe should not score a 5 in color.

4 isn't flawless, IMO.

You're getting caught up in symantecs.

Both 4 and 5 are ratings for absinthes without color flaws. But a 5 rating should be reserved for the best of the best. A 'run-of-the-mill' absinthe should not score a 5 in color.

I'm not being semantic, 4 = Very attractive. There's a Suicide Girl who is missing a leg that I find very attractive.

Like I've said before, I've had blanches that wouldn't rate a 5 either.

That being said, per the WS review site:

"4 = Clear, bright and natural. Very attractive.5 = Absolutely beautiful. Perfect." 4 isn't flawless, IMO.

Tayker, I love ya man, but it's just not getting through.

I've told you what the intent was. I've explained to you the differences.

I don't really think there's much more to discuss, so have a great day. :cheers:

Aw heck, no worries. 

Perfect = flawless. People with flaws can be "very attractive."

Perfect=flawless=Barbie.

Very attractive=Bettie Page.

Since my absinthes came up, I'm just curious what tayker feels might in wrong about the coloring of the MoL? I'm not trying to blame you or anything, you have your opinions and viewpoints; I'm just curious. (I'll go re-read your review.)

Be aware, I know that the color changes from batch to batch. Summer batches are a bit darker than winter batches. I know my absinthe will go feuille morte, especially if they sat for a few weeks or months in some liquor store shelf. Batches will have different color because of the color of the herbs being used. Some ponticas are darker, some are lighter. The lemon balm changes, depending on where it's grown, exactly when it's harvested, etc.

The green color of a verte comes from chlorophyll. This chemical is inherently unstable when exposed to light. To me it's not a flaw that it's going to change over time. It you don't want that to happen, buy some black velvet cloth, cut some 12-15" squares and wrap your bottles in the cloth. Tie with a rubber band at the top. Now they'll be protected from the light.

I hope this doesn't seem like a rant.

:arrr:

Looking through my reviews I've given a verte a 5 for colour three times. Every time I scored one worse than 5 it was because it was too light (usually a 3 or 4), too dark (usually a 4), early fuille morte despite proper storage (usually a 4), or hazy (usually a 3). I scored one verte a 5 that I think I shouldn't have, and didn't give one or two a 5 that I think I should have. And one absinthe would probably get a 5 if I reviewed my current bottle, but it definitely did not deserve it when I did my original review. But I wouldn't change anything without having a glass in front of me and I don't have all of them anymore.

Does the board disagree on much? I'm not being an ass, I just want to know.
Abso-frikkin-lootely. Why do you think it takes so long to get anything done around here?!?!? ;) You should see the backlog of projects we have. Half of them are currently dead because we can't agree on how to proceed. Then there's the whole 'not enough time in the day' thing...

I don't think that it needs any reviews but the Review Editor's. There's that review with emphasis, and then the rest without any. Screw putting in the effort to write anything if that's how it is.
Oh come on. That's just silly. If there were no emphasis, then we would have set it to be ordered by editor's review, which was a separate discussion.

I don't have difficulty handing out 5's if I believe they are deserved

I don't either.

But let me give you an example I just gave on Facebook to clarify my thoughts a bit.

I love CLB. But let's say someone made a verte version that scored exactly the same in all other qualities. If I were to score the blanche a 5 just because it has no visual flaws, then there is a very good chance that the blanche would score higher than the verte, since rarely do I score a verte a 5 for color (about 4% of the time).

So, for two products, identical in every way except color, the uncolored product would have a higher score. That doesn't seem fair to me/

I can't imagine a verte being the same in the other categories. The colouration process would impact the flavour.

And you may think my feelings on the above are silly, but they are what they are. Being condescending about it won't shame me into feeling differently.

Whether you can imagine it or not, that's the scenario. Of course, I feel the most important quality the coloration step adds to an absinthe is flavor, but that's for a different conversation.

I'm not trying to be condescending at all. That just seems a bit spiteful to stop adding reviews because you think yours aren't getting the same amount of attention. As I said before, it's not a pissing contest. It's no different than many other review sites that have an editors review then consumer reviews.

But let's get back to the coloration discussion. Peridot, how many vertes would you score a 5 in color?

WW and MoL when they were way fresh; Hallenius brought me examples of both that were such a beautiful color that you just know won't last; the same goes for the first bottles of those two that I got. Now of course, theyre all dead leaf, so not so much. :laugh: