Electronic Cigarettes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 absinthejack

absinthejack

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

I was sitting around the fire pit the other night with neighbors when one of them pulled out an electronic cigarette. These things are amazing. It looks like a cigarette, hits like a cigarette, tastes like a cigarette, and you get your nicotine fix. They are small self-contained electric devices that you "smoke" just like a cigarette. When you exhale it even looks like smoke, but it's actually just water vapor. They come with re-chargeable batteries and nicotine cartridges. I'm ordering one on payday as at work I can't smoke anywhere on their property. These are completrely legal to use anywhere smoking is banned (although they look so real you'll have some explaining to do if you try it). I can get my fix, but without the harmful effects of actually smoking. If interested, do a google search and you'll find several different manufacturers. The one I tried and have decided to go with is Smoke 51.
LIFE.............is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:23 AM

I'd be careful with all of the Propylene glycol though. You may not be inhaling smoke anymore, but PG aint good for your health either.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:49 AM

Propylene glycol sounds like something in anti-freeze. Yummy!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

It actually IS in anti-freeze. :wave2:

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 absinthejack

absinthejack

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Actually, they contain diethylene glycol. In an FDA study conducted in 2009 they found only negligable trace amounts of this, and only in only one catridge tested. The FDA permits .02% DEP in food addatives. If there would have been harmful amounts found, the FDA would have been obligated to announce this. I find this allot like the thujone in absinthe situation. The amount of thujone is so small as to be ALMOSt non-existent. We all know only an idiot would quaff down a bottle of wormwood extract or oil. This can cause renal failure. Same with DEP. A miniscule amount is not harmful, but you wouldn't want to drink a bottle of it either.
LIFE.............is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

Bellisfair Mall up here had one of those smokeless cigarette kiosks...it closed after a few weeks.

I figure we'll be seeing ambulance chaser commercials in the not-too-distant future, urging you to sue if you've developed (insert disease here) from the PG in those things. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

Look on the list of ingredients. The majority of the suspension is propylene glycol. If you're referencing FDA studies, the reason why they mention diethylene glycol is because that's what they tested for. They didn't test for propylene glycol since it's considered 'safe' as a food additive.

They also have a list of several of the solutions on Wikipedia.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Propylene glycol sounds like something in anti-freeze. Yummy!

We used it last year, cut with water, in our liquid cooling system for the high voltage x-ray generation tubes. Funny thing, the military folks wouldn't allow it in the shipping container with the rest of our gear, and required it be sent in a separate hazmat shipping container. Another WHOLE 20ft shipping container with one lonely cardboard box containing two bottles of the stuff.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#9 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Drawing a substance into you lungs is a completely different thing from ingesting the same substance into your digestive tract.

Until there are controlled studies on the effects of inhaling propylene glycol in the quantities delivered by the smokeless cigarettes we really don't know what, if any, harmful effects exist.
If it's legal is it as fun?

#10 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

I'm really hoping a well-tested, safe product becomes available but not because I want one. Smoking is frequently required in theatre production however smoking is banned in all public buildings. This would be very cool.

#11 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

One of the girls in our office has one of those electronic cigarette thingies. Looks neat. An interesting looking piece of equipment.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#12 brewmaster

brewmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

I got one for a friend of mine who is very partial to nicotine. He really liked it because he could smoke indoors without smoking up the place. Not a bad choice if you want a discreet nicotine pick-me-up.
No excellent soul is exempt to a mixture of madness. - Aristotle

#13 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

pick-me-up.

Did someone say, pick-me-up? :twitchsmile: :twitchsmile: :twitchsmile:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#14 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

It gets right into you bloodstream folks; into every part of your body. PG is bad stuff, and this is just BS to make money off you while pulling a fast one on people who think they're doing something healthier. Hell, it's even bad in sunblock and other cosmetics, as it is absorbed directly though your skin. I think we all know that lab testing is nonsense, and often with hidden/fixed results; just look at what Searle did with Nutra-sweet when all the rats developed brain cancer and nobody found out about until AFTER they sold the patent to another company, and the FDA STILL didn't pull the product. Trust your common sense, not the testing results.

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

I read alcohol is bad for your liver and lowers your ability to function properly if taken orally.

just sayin'

#16 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

That doesn't worry me.

I simply inject it, for less deleterious results. B)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#17 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Trust your common sense, not the testing results.

Nope. I'll go ahead and accept the results of a well-done scientific experiment rather than trusting my own human flawed intuition any old day. :wave2:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#18 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

I agree, when the science is sound and honest. There's good scientific results, and the kind that are paid for. Then there's the kind where the results are different even if the same tests/research is run the same way with the same protocols, with the same products. (Sounds a bit like thujone testing to me). This can be due to faulty gear, control elements, or human error/blinking/yawning at the wrong moment. A woman smarter than me (to whom I'm married) is an ex-chemist who performed such testing for a very large company, on products containing propylene glycol. She won't allow anything containing it (designed to touch humans) in the house! (Especially for the kids).

#19 brewmaster

brewmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

:twitchsmile: looks good! need to get some more Vermouth now! Thanks for the link!

:cheers:

pick-me-up.

Did someone say, pick-me-up? :twitchsmile: :twitchsmile: :twitchsmile:

No excellent soul is exempt to a mixture of madness. - Aristotle

#20 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Wormwood. Tobacco.

Same story, different century.

The abuse is the culprit, not the substance. If tobacco was as deadly as the propaganda suggests, no one would have survived the 60's.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#21 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

That doesn't worry me.

I simply inject it, for less deleterious results. B)

Not me. I prefer to burn it off and get the 'real stuff'
Today is the tomorrow you promised to yourself yesterday.

#22 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Wormwood. Tobacco.

The abuse is the culprit, not the substance. If tobacco was as deadly as the propaganda suggests, no one would have survived the 60's.

Moderation in all things is key. <<---The philosophy behind Tantric Yoga.

#23 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Moderation.........or can I just average the amounts over time?

#24 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Interesting question. Not sure it works that way though unfortunately. :no:

#25 Minnalouche

Minnalouche

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have friends who are smokers that recently discovered e-cigarettes. They've gone digital, and all but given up analog. They have purchased many flavors, including absinthe, to refill their e-cigarette cartridges.

I have never smoked a cigarette, nor had the desire to try one, but I couldn't resist giving the absinthe flavored e-cigarette a try. Rather enjoyable, but not really a substitute for the real thing. I still prefer to drink my absinthe! :cheers:

Second-hand vapor is certainly preferable to second-hand smoke! ;)
Does Minnalouche know that his absinthe
Will pass from change to change
As emerald clouds to opal,
And yet nothing will change?

Still he drinks opaline.

#26 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

My favorite story from my sons' trip to Asia is the one about the psychedelic party they had in a hotel in Kyoto. E-cigs, a bit of whiskey, Hendrix music .... apparently quite a different atmosphere compared to real smokes, much more pleasant.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#27 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I did some research on them and..... Allegedly, the Blu cig brand is not so bad.

From the website: Ingredients: Distilled Water, Nicotine, Natural & Artificial Flavors, USP Glycerin, Citric Acid

I've been using them for the last couple months, and by this point I actually prefer it to a tobacco cigarette. It's not as harsh on my lungs and I don't stink like I've been in a back alley dive bar all night.

The only down side-- the flavor in the cartridge doesn't seem to last very long. But hey--- this is at a FRACTION of the cost of a pack of cigarettes. (pound for pound as the saying goes).

#28 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

I've had a friend who smokes the Blu's. He says it's the best line of E-Cigs.
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#29 PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I've noticed a few misconceptions in this thread, and hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes here.

Regarding PG (propylene glycol), it was used in hospital HVAC systems for years to sterilize the air, it's a potent antibacterial agent when used in an areosol form. It is used as a carrier for medicine that does not disolve easily in a saline solution. It is also the primary ingredient in all inhaled athsma medication (used as a carrier).

PG is also found in regular cigarettes and when burned, creates acrolin, which is some seriously nasty stuff.

the cig-a-like's (like blu's) are hardly top of the line e cigs. :) Some of the premium e-cigs, called advanced personal vaporizers (APV's) sell for $300 and up.

No matter how bad e-cigs might be for someone in the long run, we know there are over 4000 chemicals in cigarettes compared to the 4 or 5 in e-cigarettes. Cigarettes have a 25% mortality rate. Whatever gets you off of the smokes is the best brand of e-cigarette for you.

I'll get off the soapbox now. ;)

It's l'heure verte somewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association