peridot

Music Project 2010

And just like that, four more submissions come in. :)

It's at about 50 minutes now. We have 30 minutes more room, so keep them coming. Sonny Meadows has sent in three, I have three, and ubu has two, so we could use more submissions to prevent the three of us from dominating the thing. ;)

I may have to step aside this year. Been busy and though I’ve sat down a few times in the past 2 weeks to noodle, nothing is really coming to me.

The options:

1. Sit on my hands rather than make something just for the sake of getting something on the record.

2. Do some very minimal musique concrete type thing for shits and giggles.

3. Cull the archives for one or two of my “IDM” type tracks from 10+ years ago.

The problem with option 3 is that all those old tracks only exist as 128kbps mp3 files. The production was OK for the time, but sound quality will be compromised a bit. Thoughts?

Regarding option 3, I like the idea of something sounding a bit "old", for lack of a better way to put it. Many Dead Voices on Air recordings make great use out of nostalgia sound, scratchy noise in the background, ancient voice sampling, that sort of thing. Could be very evocative, kind of like absinthe itself. I personally would love to see you put something together a la option 2, minimalist/experimental soundscape comes to mind.

1. Sit on my hands rather than make something just for the sake of getting something on the record.

2. Do some very minimal musique concrete type thing for shits and giggles.

3. Cull the archives for one or two of my “IDM” type tracks from 10+ years ago.

The problem with option 3 is that all those old tracks only exist as 128kbps mp3 files. The production was OK for the time, but sound quality will be compromised a bit. Thoughts?

Option 2 would actually work fine for this because there is a minimalistic streak through this year's CD already. It would be right at home.

Option 3 might work if you were able to convert the mp3 to wav and use some sort of processing to make it sound more analog lo-fi, covering up mp3 blurbiness.

(But I'll admit I personally tend toward New-Agey.)

It shows... :laugh:

Sorry I'm late - getting a new PC put together. I've put up the .wav of the last version I'd submitted for review and sent an email - let me know if I need to do something else with it.

--- T

OK. The plan will be to *attempt* to do some kind of minimal piece from scratch. I’ve got cristal baschet sample banks I’ve been dying to use, so I’ll *try* to go that route. No promises. Time is limited and I’d rather not submit something I’m not happy with for the sake of it.

I have loads of older stuff that I can attempt to clean up. Unfortunately, the one I’d really like to submit has samples in it from “Good Will Hunting” that are married to the mix. No individual tracks exist. I’m pretty sure this would slip by under the radar, but as one of the creators of the rules for this thing, I’ll have to skip it. There’s plenty of other material that falls into this minimal / ambient theme that’s apparently running strong this year. I can pick a bunch of them, clean them up, submit them and see if you guys want to take your pick of one or two. Whatever. Play it by ear.

Peridot, I’ll PM you before I YouSendIt anything to the WSmusicproject mailbox.

Dug deep in the archives and found a few things that sound "absinthe" to me. I spent the evening re-mastering, re-EQing and revamping them as best as I could...with one horrible headache.

Six tracks of varying styles, in the electronic genres. They'll be showing up in the WS Music Project inbox via YouSendIt links very soon. I'll leave it up to you guys what to do with them. Fill up space, pick, choose, ditch...just let me know what info to get you when it comes time to get the writing credits.

I can't put on the two that are longer than 8 minutes for this year's comp, because it's been part of the rules all year; some people may have had something that wasn't submitted only for that reason. But I think we'll do away with that rule next year. We never seem to have to worry too much about things not being able to fit, so I'd rather let the creativity run free.

I think Lights, The Wick, and Indigo are all excellent and will fit perfectly.

That’ll work, but I just listened to my remaster work in the car on the way to work this morning. If you’re using “The Wick”, I’m going to have to redo the EQ on that one because it’s nothing but horrible bottom end. It was like that to start, but I think I made it worse.

Cool!

Drums and guitar are done for the Throng of Shoggoths tracks. I plan to do my vocal tracks today, so all that will be left are Tim's vocals and Allen's bass.

We're doing a whole 6 song demo for labels, from which two will be selected for the WS CD. So in a way I'm working two deadlines at the same time. :)

We ended up not being able to record in the way that we wanted (all together as a live band at once) due to a burned out mixing board, but that's okay. It's actually sounding pretty live anyway.

Suddenly we've got four more submissions (plus three that I'm just waiting on the wav files) than last year.

Last week we had four submissions at all.

Nice. :)

All good things to those who wait...

Speaking of which, I'll likely be redoing two of the three tracks' mastering / EQ jobs. Sounded like absolute hell on the home theater last night.

Okay, the deadline is Monday, everyone. If anyone has any more submissions they need to be in by the end of that day.

After that, I can give an extra week to anyone who has submitted a song but not sent a wav file yet. I'll need a wav file for every submission by November 22 or that song will unfortunately have to be left off.

Now it's done! :D

All that's left for Throng of Shoggoths is bass guitar. I've even got the mixes pretty much done, just gotta slot the bass in.