peridot

Music Project 2010

Throng of Shoggoths has a new member. Our bassist Tim moved over to second guitar and we brought in GNP's bassist. At first I was sad that we weren't a power trio anymore, but the sound is so oppressively heavy and thick now that it feels like it couldn't be any other way. I'm pushing them to get ready to record for the compilation. It will serve as a good practise run before recording our album in the untested way we're planning.

Did this in the studio in about an hour last night for The Social Network soundtrack remix contest being held at NIN.com. The song I re-did is called "On We March", which can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/TSNsoundtrack

I titled my version "We March On (Resolution Rendition)"

http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=21936

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did the score for this film. I submitted one very stripped down "remix", once again using no source material and just improvising on the theme. Wish me luck. Maybe I'll win this thing and get out to meet these guys.

So now that I've got the studio juiced up a bit, I'll have to sit down and write at least something for the next WS project.

True Peridot, but you guys know what woll make for a good project. Varied themes and flavors make a better production, which is why I asked what you prefer. Hawaiian steel heartbreak swoopy tones it is.

Sounds good precenphix, fits the theme of the original well; understated and atmospheric. Good luck on the contest!

Sbmac, I didn't wanna influence you, but I was secretly hoping you'd do the swoopy- I'm glad yer goin' for the Hawaiian steel!

I should have another track submitted. I say "should" because it should have already been finished, but I've been getting sick a lot over the past month. I think my body is rejecting the Pacific Northwest.

Did my track today in the studio. How do I get it to you?

I can upload the .wav to my server and send the link to someone's e-mail or Pm it, so you can download it.

Is WAV ok, or do you need an MP3?

Let me know!

Here's a shot from today...a 1927 National Tri-plate

(Tricone) I believe this makes it a post-ban guitar!

absintheProjectSession.jpg

Sweet. Normally I'd say send it in mp3 format to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com for music board evaluation.

But we're really close to the deadline and not much has been submitted yet, so it looks like we're going to be in an "everything submitted makes the cut" situation like last year, so I'm going to say skip that and just send me a link at the above address with the entire wav file. If it's possible, send it unmastered so I can master all of the submitted songs together at once.

Oh, and the guitar is NICE!

Other than your submission, so far we've only got mine (at least one, hopefully three), one from Ubu and one from Babble that are confirmed.

This weekend I'm going to start PMing everyone who expressed any interest in doing anything for the project and try to get some more stuff rolling in.

I sent PMs around to everyone who expressed interest. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Got some more tunes rolling in soon. :)

Got another tune from ubu.

And I've gone ahead and begun working on the artwork since nobody volunteered. It's very different from last year. It keeps the absinthe saucer CD but it's more like a digital painting of one this time instead of a photo. When it's finished I'll the front cover and disc image.

That's awesome you have an inspiration for the artwork, look forward to checking it out! Not a bad idea to have a good diversity of design among the volumes, we want a few common threads but definitely don't want 'em lookin' too samey.

I love that cover! I'm making good progress on my track. I'm definitely gonna make that deadline. I've got the basic structure down... now it's vocals, some bells and whistles, and the arrangement. For those who think absinthe is a drug, I assure them that when the absinthe doesn't make them trip, this song will. haha.

BTW Peridot, any special guidelines for the tracks to make mastering less of a headache? Anything you specifically want us to do or not do? i.e. regrading loudness, compression, limiting etc? How much headroom are you gonna need?

I'll repost it here as a reminder:

Final .wav file submissions should be unmastered with peaks at -6dB or quieter. A little louder is okay but if it is reaching 0dB at any point it is unacceptable.

The way that we master the WS compilations is a little quieter than your average modern album. The assumption is that people with discerning tastes in absinthe are probably also discerning regarding their other senses too and don't want to miss out on all the yummy dynamics that get stripped out of modern music.

Even someone with a terrible ear for music can hear the difference between something that is bricked and something that is not.

Mastering a CD with such diverse material is challenging and takes many hours of trial and error to get them to all sonically fit in the same world. This is the principle reason why the deadline is Nov. 15. It gives me time to finish it up in order to have the CD on sale early enough for people to have it in their hands before the holidays.

Also, everyone should go ahead and send links to .wav files to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com from mediafire or yousendit or whatever. It doesn't look very likely that we'll have to have everyone sit down and decide what goes on the compilation and what has to be left off. If it does come to that I can encode mp3s to post on the MySpace page.

Anyone who has already sent mp3s but not .wavs yet can send their .wav files at any time. I'll remind people individually around the deadline.

If anyone needs help with yousendit or needs to use my account let me know.

was the .aiff I sent ok for you?

Yeah, it's very similar to a .wav file. For editing I can convert it without loss.

I know I said I would try to submit something else before the deadline but I've had no recording capabilities as my computer crashed and I do not have to the funds to replace yet. I will send you a PM concerning my track Peridot.

Looks like I'll be able to submit Throng of Shoggoth songs. We recorded the drums for six songs last night (and we'll pick two for submissions) and will have guitars, bass, and vocals done during the course of the coming week.