peridot

Music Project 2010

Got one song idea fleshed out. Just needs vocals and some production work. It's a sort of upbeat, prog-metal song.

Nice; I can't wait to hear it. As well as Trauma_Hound's industrial track. I've been working on two tracks for a free download, as soon as I finish these I'm going to work on my other submission. It's going to be a slow-dripping instrumental.

Use "slowdripgaze." Ending a genre name in "core" almost instantly robs the genre of any credibility.

I don't know that I'll have the time to contribute this year with another project going on, but I'm thinking about doing a piece featuring the cristal Baschet if I do. It's a French instrument, avant garde and made of glass rods and metal. Sounds absinthe inspired to me.

Well if you have time, we'd love to see a submission from ya. I seem to recall a track that you just "crapped out" in a couple of days, but it was so good we used it for the intro ;)

Seriously. You have time to crap out something awesome.

Hell, I'm working on my new full-time band, gearing up to record the vocals for my last band's swansong album, and recording a very ambitious solo record. And I'm finding time to work on the comp. :)

After talking to the rest of the guys in Throng of Shoggoths they're not only very cool with recording a song or two for the CD, but are already working on figuring out the logistics of how we want to set everything up and where the microphones should go. We may be ready before the end of this month to do it. The plan is to line up our gear all along one wall with mics, set up condensers in the room, and record as a live band. Then we'll go back on guitar and vocals to lay down overdubs to give it a really fat sound, giant sound.

Not only should it give us some great sounding stuff for the compilation, it should serve as a good test run for recording our first album.

Godspeed, man. Sounds like an ambitious project. I'm interested to hear what the production sounds like with this method.

I'll see what I can do on my end for the comp. Things are hectic at the moment. We'll see.

Just a bump to remind everyone there's about 2 months left before music submissions are due. November 15 is the day!

Plunger's awesome.

But yeah, the artwork has to be done by the 1st of December. If nobody steps up then Green Baron will be forced to do it again. And if he refuses I'll have to... and I won't do nearly as good a job.

Hi Peridot, I have read through this thread in the past but just now am considering submitting something. I work with a few different styles of music, but I may have something that would fit this project. If you can PM me the best way to submit a track to you(type of file, where to send it).

Hey, just send an mp3 to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com . And post a note here that you've sent something in because we haven't been getting a lot of submissions yet and I don't check the account very often. We don't have any genre boundaries whatsoever. Just keep it to 8 minutes in length or less.

Normally I'd be worried with the small number of commitments so far, but last year most of the submissions came in the last month.

I was really hoping to some funky blues fusion piece on dobro and ukulele for this, but have not been able to get into the studio...I'm so busy in the shop making guitars, I never get to play anymore....

I certainly want to hear this CD however!

Peridot, I just realized I have a live recording I did in concert recently solo on a skateboard/lapsteel I made that I rode up to the stage, plugged in and played. Crappy recording, but I can tweal it and perhaps make it sound like an old recording if you're into it. I played "You Got To Move".

Here a link to my blog to see the pics...it is a skateboard that quickly comverts into a guitar. No shit.

An hour in the studio, and my enineer may be able to make this decent enough for a cool vibe.

Whaddya think?

http://blog.customguitars.com/scotts_guita...eel-guitar.html

Pretty cool! EDIT: What Peridot said, I didn't even think about the cover issue.

Additional status updates- I don't mean to speak for these guys, but here is my understanding of where a couple potential contributors stand:

-buddhasynth said unfortunately he's out of the running for this time around, he got real busy with tattoos and travel.

-Deluge said he'll attempt to put something together if he can. I dig his stuff so I hope he can grace us with a submission.

-I still should be able to submit at least one track. It wont be quite the 8 minute opus that was Spacy Booze Content but hopefully I can make it turn out pretty cool. If I can force the time, I will also try the "crap out something awesome" approach and see if I can to contribute an additional short track or two.

Edited by Green Baron

I love the idea (skateboard lapsteel!), but one thing we can't do is put cover songs on the compilation. Getting the rights and paying for them is out of our league. Everything has to be originals, or in rare circumstance, a cover or remix of something by a non-published artist who has given their okay.

I could get permission. I was friends with Mississippi Fred's student and close friend Honest Tom Pomposello who I learned this from. I played it at his memorial concert, and did a few other tunes on Dobro with Levon Helm on drums...THAT was cool.

I may not have the energy to deal with the publisher however. When's your deadline? Maybe I can whip something up.....

Submission deadline is November 15. The permission will have to be for Wormwood Society, and we can't give the publisher any money. But if they're cool with it, I think that covers all the bases.

I could get permission. I was friends with Mississippi Fred's student and close friend Honest Tom Pomposello who I learned this from. I played it at his memorial concert, and did a few other tunes on Dobro with Levon Helm on drums...THAT was cool.

I may not have the energy to deal with the publisher however. When's your deadline? Maybe I can whip something up.....

Playing with Levon Helms..... that is cool!! Is that Mississippi Fred McDowell??(sp??) That's very cool too!

I'm in. I'll either get you you an original new-agey instrumental moody thingy on Dobro (that could be considered a melancholy absinthe inspired Hawaiian reverie brought on by an Absomphe-sized glass), or some stompin' Blues on the dobro...Bourgeios Town comes to mind, and is public Domain, written by Leadbelly 1939

Preference? I'll book an hour in the studio and slam it out in time for you if you'd like.

Preference? I'll book an hour in the studio and slam it out in time for you if you'd like.

Your submission should be what you want to do.

(But I'll admit I personally tend toward New-Agey.)

:)