234 replies to this topic

#1 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

We've now sold 63 copies of Musique d'Absinthe, Volume I. That completely blows away my expectations for it, but sales are slowing down a little bit now that almost everyone has placed an order. So I'm going ahead and getting started with organizing Volume II's submission process. Considering how hectic it got at the end, the sooner the better. We learned a lot from the first volume. Submissions can be sent beginning immediately to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com and I will put them on the MySpace page. I would like to see everyone who submitted something for Volume I return with more material, and I would especially like to see some new faces. Instead of wondering if we'll be able to fill a CD we should be wondering what makes the cut.

We're going to go with Kunaki again. The ease, speed, and cheapness of it makes it a no-brainer. When Volume I took up until a few days before Christmas to finish, it was only their system that made it possible for people to get their CDs before 2010.

The Music Panel will be formed from scratch. If you want to be a part of it, just say so and unless everyone thinks you're a jerk, you're in. I want to go ahead and install Green Baron and precenphix on the panel unless they object, because of their efforts on the first volume up until the very end. The panel is responsible for choosing which tracks go on the CD in the event that there are enough submissions to warrant it. Members of the panel, including myself, don't get to vote on their own tracks. For the sake of not pulling my hair out and wondering what's going on, I'm going to master it again and while I'm doing so I'll set a track order. However, the final track order must be approved by the panel. The panel also gets final say on the artwork, including fonts and organization of information on it.

The guidelines will be more concrete going into the project than they were last time.

For music:
  • The deadline for new submissions is November 15, 2010.
  • Maximum song length is 8 minutes.
  • Only WS members can submit music. One WS member can offer up to 3 submissions.
  • Any style of music or listening material (even artful, ambient noise) may be submitted.
  • If you question the quality of your submission, either don't submit it, or submit it with a request for advice on how to make it better. We'll post it on the MySpace and give you feedback.
  • All music must be your own original work, or else you must obtain the permission of the original artist/ publisher to cover or remix their work.
  • Submissions must be in the form of .mp3 for the sake of evaluation.
  • If your track is chosen for the CD, it must be sent again in the form of a 16-bit stereo .wav file at 44100Hz.
  • Final .wav file submissions should be unmastered with peaks at -6dB or quieter. A little louder is okay but if it is reaching 0dB at any point it is unacceptable.
  • Nobody gets money; merely recognition and their work published. The few cents to a dollar of profit made off of each CD sold after fees goes back to WS. This is a dismal amount of money, not enough to be worth splitting up or setting up contracts for payments, etc.
  • Everyone retains ownership of the compositions and the recordings they submit. You can't change your mind about having your music on the CD after it is published, but you can use your composition and recording for any other purpose you desire.
  • It is preferred that submissions not be previously published elsewhere, but this is not set in stone. It is okay for some material to be pulled from other albums/ compilations but the bulk of it should be composed specifically for this compilation.
  • If we get more submissions than can be put on a CD and your track doesn't make it, don't despair. It doesn't necessarily mean it sucks, but perhaps that it doesn't fit the other material, or conversely sounds too much like another track. Or if you've submitted several items, we may only choose one or two of your tracks in order to put as diverse a range of artists on the CD as possible. If your submission is not used on this volume, offer it again for the next one.

For album art:
  • The deadline for artwork is December 1, 2010.
  • Only WS members can submit artwork.
  • If multiple people want to submit artwork, that's great. If this happens then it is possible that only portions of one person's work will be selected, such as just their front cover or CD image.
  • Artwork must fit the Kunaki CD template There is a single panel insert with the front cover and an inside page on it, plus a back panel and CD art. The tray is opaque black so there is no artwork under the CD. Total of 4 pieces of art needed.
  • All artwork must be in .jpeg, .jpg or .bmp format at 300dpi, RGB, 16 bit colour. No bleed areas necessary.
  • Artwork must leave a space at the bottom right-hand corner of the CD's back panel for a UPC code.
  • Artwork must be your own work. If you use somebody else's photography or artwork you must first get their permission.
  • It is preferred that the disc art be a 2 franc absinthe saucer, either photographed or illustrated. This can be stylized.
  • Nobody gets paid for this, either. Sorry.

Happy recording, everyone. :)

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#2 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

I just ordered my 4 copies. This is so cool, and I am so excited to receive this CD.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#3 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

Posted a wall entry on FB's "Absinthe" group. With 65,000+ members, even .5% buying could mean hundreds of orders and possibly a few new members to the board. :)
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#4 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Looks good to me!

And yes, the saucer motif is absolutely classic. I think there are probably endless possibilities that would keep it from ever getting old- as long as we continue to get good creative input.

Not to name names or anything but...

Hopefully we can get some tracks from the guys that didn't make it on the CD last time like c. hoefler and Wayek.

Digging through the original music project thread, I saw that Ubu had made a demo for a planned submission but we never heard back from him. Hope we do eventually 'cause it was really cool!

For increased sonic diversity, it would also be cool to see submissions from our members who are into creating traditional and period music. I'm thinking of Deluge and maybe (not sure if he's a WS forum member) Gwydion's friend who did the Absinthe Preludes. EDITED: to include Danny Hawaii!

EDITED: to revise tired typing.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#5 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

I agree with everything you've said.

I'd like a more diverse range of music on the next one if possible. I'm considering doing wildly different stuff from this last time.

My stupid facebutt page.

#6 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

The Music Panel will be formed from scratch. If you want to be a part of it, just say so and unless everyone thinks you're a jerk, you're in. I want to go ahead and install Green Baron and precenphix on the panel unless they object, because of their efforts on the first volume up until the very end.

Excellent plan, Peridot. You guys did a great job on the first go around and I'm certain you will take the lessons you learned and make the second attempt even better. BIG Congratulations to the team.

If someone wasn't on the first committee but really wants in on the next one, submit your request to Peridot and tell him about your skills.

#7 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

submit your request to Peridot and tell him about your skills.

Be sure to include ALL your skills. You know, like nunchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Peridot only wants folks who have great skills.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#8 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

And so it begins...

:devil:
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

submit your request to Peridot and tell him about your skills.

Be sure to include ALL your skills. You know, like nunchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Peridot only wants folks who have great skills.

There are no words to describe how perfectly played that was. Well done sir. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

I do what I can.

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

Pffffft! :tongue:

#12 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

I don't get it. Am I missing a reference?

My stupid facebutt page.

#13 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

Think: French dictator + an explosive invented by a Swiss chemist...
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#14 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Pétain Gelignite?

#15 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

"There were no results matching the query."

#16 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Onacuz whathisname was Swedish.

#17 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:17 AM

Doh!

#18 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

I better get to plannin'.

Techno?
Noise?
Pure drone?
Manipulated field recordings?

Oh, the possibilities!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#19 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

I'm on such a brutal death metal kick that I'm considering doing one in that style for this, just to keep things from getting too comfortable. I always think "drinking absinthe is relaxing," but then I remember events where there were people just bouncing off the walls.

My stupid facebutt page.

#20 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

:devil:

I like the sound of that.

I'm thinking weirdly-compressed tracks wouldn't work due to mastering concerns? Sometimes that "breathing" compressors can impart on a track is exactly the thing the track needs, especially if I want to envelop the listener or make them physically uncomfortable.

Presshah!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#21 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I'm just gonna push the Legos around till I get somethin' usable... :laugh: I
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#22 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

I'm thinking weirdly-compressed tracks wouldn't work due to mastering concerns? Sometimes that "breathing" compressors can impart on a track is exactly the thing the track needs, especially if I want to envelop the listener or make them physically uncomfortable.

Compressing individual instruments is a good thing, to an extent. Overcompressing every instrument in the mix almost always makes things sound like dogshit, though. The big deal is that final submissions aren't already mastered before they're sent in, so that all the tasty dynamics are preserved. I master this stuff at a noticeably lower volume than most mainstream CDs that you'll buy nowadays. It's annoying to have to turn up the volume, and even more annoying if you forget to turn it down before listening to another album, but it sounds significantly better.

If you want to cause discomfort you can also always generate a barely audible 17 or 19Hz sine wave that runs through the track.

My stupid facebutt page.

#23 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

I'm on such a brutal death metal kick...

You? Naaaa..... :headbang:

I'm wallowing in the ocean of sound again, hoping the fragile protoriffs I have so far will survive and integrate with the coming of the next wave of noises.

#24 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hey, it's been a while since I was on a brutal death metal kick. I'm usually bouncing back and forth between the diametrically opposed extremes of black metal and power metal, while taking breaks to check out avant-garde, weird shit imbetween. :)

My stupid facebutt page.

#25 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

...that I'm considering doing one in that style for this, just to keep things from getting too comfortable. I always think "drinking absinthe is relaxing," but then I remember events where there were people just bouncing off the walls.

Interesting. When you say "brutal death metal" near the sentence "drinking absinthe is relaxing" I start thinking of something like the most brutal slow-dirge imaginable. Like way detuned or something or pitch pedaled constantly downwards in the sustain after the flurry of pick attacks.

That's just me though and what I hear vaguely in my head. Maybe partially because one of the guitar sounds I'm playing with is a an octave pedal set to low (I don't own a bass) with some big delay and noisy ass distortion.

#26 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

Like this? This is a sludge project I sometimes do with a friend that is meant to be as slow, heavy, and boring as possible. :) I play all the instruments and choir vocals and he does the lyrics and lead vocals.

The backing-up-toilet sound is his voice.

My stupid facebutt page.

#27 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:37 AM

Yeah, like that. Maybe a lil less marshy and more glaciers-and-abysses with outbursts of chugging, but that's pretty much it. Nice choir, organ and toilet melange on Lumbar Puncture, I must say.

#28 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

Overcompressing every instrument in the mix almost always makes things sound like dogshit, though.

I was being a bit facetious, I admit. I've used mega limiting/compressing/expanding on a finished drone to excellent effect, though won't be doing something like that for this kind of project. I could send you an example, if you like.

If you want to cause discomfort you can also always generate a barely audible 17 or 19Hz sine wave that runs through the track.

Been there, done that. :devil:

#29 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Ball hair.

#30 Timothy B.

Timothy B.

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

Huh. On the one album I've done, there's a binaural wave going from 15 Hz down to 9, and it just puts people to sleep.

Or perhaps my playing is so ugly people simply jettison their consciousness to get away from it...

Speaking of that, I've been looking at the Kunaki website. Can they take wav + cue? I'd like to re-publish my CD, but don't want to have huge hassles.

-- T

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association