peridot

Musique d'Absinthe, Volume 1

My music arrived yesterday but I haven't finished listening to it. My hat is off to all involved. Good job!

The artwork is terrific. The cooperation of the artists was amazing. Thank you all!

:cheers:

Just ordered more for giggles and grins.....one never knows. ;)

Thanks, all. Now that this one is under our belts, we should be able to do things better right out of the gate -- including recruiting more talent.

Don't be shy, kids. Record something!

I don't have a musical bone in my body, but I really might try to do something anyway. Seeing the member's photos on the inside jacket made me wish I was on it too...

Some quality period music of various genres is something that I'd love to see on future compilations.

And of course artwork has to be done for the CD packages as well. Maybe we'll see some steampunk stuff in one of the volumes.

I got mine yesterday thanks to a special forum member! I only gave it a partial listen last night before I hit the sack, but I liked what I heard. :cheers:

Some quality period music of various genres is something that I'd love to see on future compilations.

Ditto...and something I might have a crack at if I can manage it.

Received today. Delivered quicker (from the USA) than an Amazon UK order I am still waiting for. :cheers:

And I may be the only person in the whole of Europe to have it at the moment!

Congratulations to all concerned!

Anyone up for creating a Discogs.com entry for this sucker?

Done.

Received today. Delivered quicker (from the USA) than an Amazon UK order I am still waiting for. :cheers:

And I may be the only person in the whole of Europe to have it at the moment!

Congratulations to all concerned!

I can assure you that you aren't. I received my copy yesterday.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the CD. The selection is pretty eclectic so I don't really expect everyone to love every track, but I think anyone with any tastes should find a few tracks to enjoy on it.

It's mastered at a lower volume than most modern recordings in order to preserve dynamics. It may be awkward for some people when switching CDs, having to mess with the volume knob and all, but that's better than being compressed to hell and sounding like a slab of concrete.

The selection is pretty eclectic

Eclectic is good. Very good! The WS membership is pretty damn eclectic, too.

No worries on the lower volume. I know how to adjust that.

My order is on the way. I've listened to the thing a couple times and some of it was new and different for me but all together I think it's a pretty sweet compilation. I'll listen to it when I drink absinthe again. I think it will pair well. Nice work all of you. :cheers:

Well I got my copies today (had to get four spares just case, right?), and it's really nice to hear everyone's stuff in full CD quality. While it's true I like some tracks more than others I can definitely appreciate them all and the work folks did on them.

The cool thing is that after listening to my track, I realized that I probably really did send Peridot the best mix after all (despite my last minute art neurosis).

However, after all the time I spent trying to line it up right, I must confess, I was little disappointed with saucer not being quite perfectly centered. I also wish the color clarity was better; in retrospect I probably should have a converted down to jpeg instead of bmp, since the former seems to be more forgiving when rendering subtle tone differences.

And then there's a couple other minor design flaws like the label shading being darker than I planned, but they don't seem to be too bad. Definitely a learning experience.

All in all, it's fantastic to finally have the real, actual CD we put so much effort into! Absomphsized Cheers! :cheers:

Edited by Green Baron

Although at Kunaki they say that stuff is precision cut, it can be off by a millimeter or so. On my opened copy the saucer is perfectly centered on the disc. Then the inside art is slightly cut off on the left.

On all copies both spines are slightly off, on the same side, meaning the top of the back artwork got cut at the top, but it's to a different degree on each copy.

I think we need to take that into account next time. There should be 1 or 2 millimeters of room on every edge to make sure stuff doesn't get cut off. No way to predict that would happen this time, though, because they said it wouldn't and I've never had that problem before.

The artwork looks great though. It's looks very good in hand, and it's always difficult to predict how printed stuff will look compared to when it's on the screen.

One thing that I can do next time, since we're going to have hard, comfortable deadlines, is have them send me a free evaluation copy to make sure it looks good, and then change anything that needs to be changed, including moving stuff off the edges.

It's mastered at a lower volume than most modern recordings in order to preserve dynamics. It may be awkward for some people when switching CDs, having to mess with the volume knob and all, but that's better than being compressed to hell and sounding like a slab of concrete.

You did pretty well with it, man. I think I'm going to add more compression to my tracks the next time around, though (if any make the cut!). For some reason mine sound a lot softer than everyone else's.

I've got to say that Buddasynth's track is my favorite on here, though. I've been bumping that sucker in my car at least once daily for the past week. Funk that's rich like Limburger.

Edited by precenphix

Odd. On all of my stereos your tracks sound about even with everything else, otherwise I would have brought them up a tad bit or brought all the other tracks down.

Bah. It's not your fault. I just softened things a bit too much. It could just be the stereo in the car, man. Everything sounded perfect on a proper stereo at home. Don't sweat it.

Quieter. Really, I think it comes down to the fact that my mixing techniques varied on this release from my usual stuff because I was rushing to get it done. Instead of rendering everything to a separate track for each instrument / effect channel and mixing in a proper way, I just rendered everything at once straight out of the sequencer. The exception is the cover I did of Steve's song. That one sounds fine. It's the other two that kind of suffered the "quietness" due to the fact that I changed things up from my typical production MO.

I still think it's odd. I used the images of the tracks with dB lines as a guide but ultimately mastered by ear. Then again, sometimes stuff just sounds weird in different stereos or situations. My car is where I did the most critical listening, and after I was pretty sure I had the levels all correct I went and sat in my car and listened to the entire thing to be completely certain. My tracks were really hard to get right because they would sound great on my nice computer speaker system but then sound like garbage in my car, like they were being played through a metal pipe.

Oh well. These problems might even be magnified if we get even more eclectic submissions next time. :)

Well, let's start with the fact that my car stereo is the factory piece of shit the car came with. A '99 Nissan Sentra car stereo isn't the pinnacle of audio fidelity.

A '99 Nissan Sentra car stereo isn't the pinnacle of audio fidelity.

Mine is a 1995 Chevy Beretta factory speaker system, with a new Pioneer CD player. But the reason I use it isn't because it's a great system (it's not at all). It's because my ears are accustomed to it and I can get a better frame of reference with it. In the house I almost always use headphones so I can't get total certainty about what comes out of any speakers other than my car's.

I like testing mastered songs and albums on an array of crappy sound systems. Most people own them, or don't know how to set a good system to have great sound. You'll hear your material on a great system and think it's wonderful, but when you hear it on crappy, factory computer speakers it sounds utterly different.

Mattsback, don't hesitate to come up with a submission. :)

Nice! Ordered one (er... actually, 5)! :cheers:

Thanks for the hard work, everyone!

Should be a nice gift to share with friends.

G..........

Sweet!

If we sell nine more copies we'll get to 100 sold. Who's going to step up? :)