Brian Robinson

La Sorciere absinthes

The blanche suggests itself as a mixer? The verte sounds like something I'd try, but I'm not sold on the blanche. Also, the blanche lists a mix of star and green anise. Can we assume the same for the verte? I mean, that's not entirely a show stopper or anything, I'm just curious.

[edit]: Brian, I noticed the same thing Derrick did. I had to log in in order to see the review pages. Derrick, you need to register a different account for the home page.

[double edit]: Their product page on their website does not list green anise for the verte, but does list star anise.

From what the producer told me, both are used in both recipes. The blanche, states it's great on its own, but also mellow enough to use as a mixer.

Both pages should be able to be viewed within an hour or so. I don't know why that happens.

On behalf of the Better Use of the French Language on Absinthe Labels Society and assuming the brand owner reads this, could he please get his French correct:

Verte: OK

Le Bleu: should be La Bleue

Brian: the label reads La Sorcière.

One day I am going to do a compilation of all the French spelling and grammar errors on absinthe labels. There are some classic howlers out there still!

There are others which use a blend of green and star. I'm not against giving them a try if the occasion presents itself.

Alan: oh snap!

Brian: the label reads La Sorcière.

I know it does. However, if I cataloged all of the absinthes with the Le or La in front of them, it would be almost impossible for people to find what they are looking for, since so many brands would be packed into the 'L' category.

And technically, the La Bleu is labelled La Sorciere Absinthe Bleu.

could he please get his French correct:

Before passing judgement on the producer, you should realize that it was my mistake, not his.

Well, that's an amazing coincidence. I was commenting on the spelling on their website where they also call it a "bleu."

Well I'm still glad B.U.F.L.A.L.S. is around to make sure the French that goes on the bottles of absinthe we buy is not incorrect or misleading.

Looking forward to the reviews!

mix of star and green anise.

According to Davorin (the producer), Green anise and Star are used at a 2:1 ratio for both products.

Regarding Bleu:

When I lived I Paris, I loved the “Trois Couleurs” trilogy with Juliete Binoche, Red White and Blue, particularly Bleu. Also, many artists (Picasso, Matisse) had the ‘blue’ period, perhaps this is mine :-).

In French, Bleu is color Blue, Bleue is adjective – (Bleue – something that was colored blue). La Sorciere Absinthe Bleu (what I have also coined “The Snow Fairy”,), is reminiscent of the snow in Lake Tahoe, where I spend holidays with my kids. The reflection of the snow from the lake makes it so almost blue, which the thick louche of La Sorciere Bleu reminded me of.

I'd think that, even in that example, it should be the adjective not the noun, right?

Sorciere = feminine.

Absinthe = feminine

Snow Fairy = ?

Bleu = masculine

I see what Davorin is getting at with Trois Couleurs: Bleu, but following that logic, why isn't his other absinthe "Vert?" Anyway, he is in good company: I told a very well-known producer about a French mistake on his new label recently (I won't talk about all the mistakes on NV Vert/Verte here).

Also, many artists (Picasso, Matisse) had the ‘blue’ period, perhaps this is mine :-).

Perhaps Davorin should see a doctor

to see if oxypolimidimine-4-forseth is right for him. Is it right for you too? Ask your doctor.

Some restrictions apply. Side effects are pains on the left side, aches on the right side, and periodic splotches on the backside where only your doctor will know.

To All: This is not a review, at all, since I haven't tried any of the product. Just my thoughts so far.

Brian, judging from your notes on the absence of wormwood from the aroma and flavor of the verte, and the fact that I just noticed it's only 50% abv, it seems to me the intent here was to create a very mild absinthe that shoots to maybe bring new folks in. It doesn't seem like it would offend any palates, as a more complex and wormwood forward absinthe might for a new absintheur. Nothing wrong with that concept at all, but a few folks might require more from their bar stock. The brandy base doesn't scare me off, as we have several wonderful brands which use interesting and very characteristic bases. Pisco, for example.

To be honest, I was more inclined to first try the verte than the blanche, but your review of the blanche makes me doubt my original gut feeling.

Gents... thank you all for heads up. After some more research, I admit the error of my logic. Here is the verdict - you are correct - absinthe in french is a.... girl.

Below are few definitions from three key dictionaries in France (Larousse, Littre and l'Academie Francaise, which at the end would prevail). One other major dictionary is missing (le Petit Robert).

The most interesting definition in from the Littre - there was a time when the gender was flexible but this has been settled and is now always a feminine noun. (see remark in red below) Thus, La Sorciere and any Absinthe are both feminine, thus Verte and Bleue. I will proudly correct this. I also thank Brian for his analysis and look forward to your future comments. as a thanks, if you are in CA, I would be glad to host you - or have you get your hands dirty and actually help me in the La Sorciere production :devil:

ps. Here is the french stuff in case you feel like reading more... best... Davorin

------------------------------------------------

A. Le Larousse Dictionnaire

absinthe nom féminin (latin absinthium, du grec apsinthion)

• Espèce d'armoise d'où l'on extrayait une liqueur.
  • Liqueur alcoolique de couleur verte aromatisée avec cette plante. (Sa fabrication est interdite en France.)

------------------------------------------------

B. TV5 online dictionnaire> absinthe

(nom féminin)

Plante aromatique très amère, de la famille des composées.</FONT>

Liqueur faite avec cette plante.</FONT> ------------------------------------------------

C. Le Littre dictionnaireabsinthe

nf (a-bsin-t', ou, suivant la prononciation réelle, a-psin-t')

• 1Plante aromatique et très amère. L'absinthe se nomme aussi aluine ; le nom scientifique est artemisia absinthium. <LI id=var2>2Espèce de liqueur faite avec l'absinthe. Prendre un verre d'absinthe.
  • 3 Fig. Amertume. Quand tu la vois si dignement Adoucir toutes nos absinthes. [Malherbe, III, 3] La vie est cruellement mêlée d'absinthe. [Sévigné, 120] Il vaut mieux ne se nourrir que d'un pain d'absinthe et d'amertume. [Massillon, Dégoûts.] Si votre langue n'est pas toujours trempée dans l'absinthe. [Massillon, Pardon. Dieux] Depuis que l'amour me tient à la torture, Il verse dans mon sein l'absinthe toute pure. [Tristan l'hermite, Panthée, V, 1]

REMARQUE

Le genre de ce mot est resté quelque temps indécis ; et Malherbe se servait indifféremment du masculin ou du féminin : Tout le fiel et tout l'absinthe Dont un amant fut jamais abreuvé. [Malherbe, V. 27] Aujourd'hui absinthe est toujours féminin. (Today, absinthe is always female gender)

+

ABSINTHE. 3Ajoutez : Avaler son absinthe, subir patiemment quelque chose de désagréable. Si je n'avais trouvé notre petit Livry tout à propos, j'aurais été malade ; j'avalai là tout doucement mon absinthe. [Sévigné, Lett. à Guitaut, 6 décembre 1679]

Edited by davorin kuchan

Gents... thank you all for heads up.

And thank you, Davorin, for entering into the discussion. If you get a chance, wander over to the Newcomers Introduction section and introduce yourself. This really is a friendly lot and I know we'd like to welcome you all proper like. :cheers:

Alan, you are correct. In fact, part of my personal mission is to spread the good word of Absinthe (and spirits in general) to the American public. And heck, you learn something new every day. With two teenage daughters, I am frequently reminded how little I know. :laugh:

Perhaps one of these days we could compare La Sorciere Bleue with Clandestine Blanche (no fireworks pls)

Joe, I will hop over to newcomers and introduce myself. Thanks for the invite.