Robynn

Checksinth burned on The Amazing Race

Compatriots -

First let me begin by saying I haven't introduced myself or delurked (though I've been a dues paying member for awhile and a huge fan of the work of the WWS) and I realize this is a breach of protocol of sorts. I guess it took something really awful for me to prodded to finally post something. So, my apologies but I couldn't stay silent in the face of another egregious mass media blunder over our beloved spirit.

This morning my girlfriend called me in to the other room where she was watching the latest episode of The Amazing Race on the Tivo. She wanted me to see that the contestants were being given a Speed Bump challenge while in Prague. They have to follow the "complicated three step process" to preparing absinthe. The three step process is to pour it, light the sugar on fire, drop the flaming sugar in the scary looking neon artificially colored crapsinth wait for it to melt and shoot it. <groan>

I had to leave the room. So, this is a huge program that millions of people watch (not me, this is why my girlfriend watches it without me) and they now think that absinthe is a shot, that you set it on fire, and it tastes like as one of the contestants described (my girlfriend told me, I couldn't watch) like lighter fluid.

I think this is a good opportunity to perhaps post in the forums for the Amazing Race at CBS.com about how wrong they got this, and perhaps point anyone who is interested in some factual information about real absinthe to the WWS.

I'm four colors of cranky about this as it seems like we've been making so much progress lately, and this is another huge step backwards in the general population's understanding of absinthe.

I will properly introduce myself in the welcome forums shortly, and again my apologies for jumping into the fray unannounced, but unfortunately it was with good cause.

Robynn McCarthy

Roswell, Georgia

I had thoughts of posting this as well. One thing I saw as a plus was that they had absolutely no mention of the 'hallucinogenic' properties. All they said was that it was legendary for being high proof.

Problem is, in Prague, for the most part that's the way they drink it. It was marketed that way by the crappy immitation brands based in that area, and that's how it's gained a foothold. Since the product itself tastes like crap, the only way they could get people to drink it is it invent an exciting way to get it down their gullets.

Given that it's already been a full week since the episode aired and there hasn't been any mention I can find about absinthe on the TAR forums, I don't know how useful it would be to post anything about it.

First let me begin by saying I haven't introduced myself or delurked (though I've been a dues paying member for awhile and a huge fan of the work of the WWS) and I realize this is a breach of protocol of sorts.

Only a very minor transgression that can quickly be righted with your very own Introduction Thread. If this is any indication of your passion and understanding of absinthe, I hope we hear from you much more, Robynn! :cheers:

I had thoughts of posting this as well. One thing I saw as a plus was that they had absolutely no mention of the 'hallucinogenic' properties. All they said was that it was legendary for being high proof.

Problem is, in Prague, for the most part that's the way they drink it. It was marketed that way by the crappy immitation brands based in that area, and that's how it's gained a foothold. Since the product itself tastes like crap, the only way they could get people to drink it is it invent an exciting way to get it down their gullets.

Very true (and very unfortunate). However, things are changing one bar at a time, with a new landmark reached at Hemingway bar in Prague thanks to Habu and his hard-workin' Mafia crew :thumbup: :

http://realabsinthe.blogspot.com/2009/12/a...ate-2009-7.html