• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

Not really discussing the absinthe itself, so I thought the associated gift set would best be in this forum. Here are the pics (all pics taken with iPhone 3GS):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The glasses are pretty thin. However, I am excited about the spoon. The glasses will probably go next to my Spider-Man and Hulk statues.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

That's exactly where I keep mine.
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#3 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

There was some discussion about these sets last year.

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal: for the price of a bottle of Lucid, you get a couple of glasses and a spoon thrown in for free. Sure, the glasses are thin (and sport the brand logo) and the spoon is cheap (and generic), but it's a good "starter kit," IMO. I actually bought one myself not long ago when I saw them on the shelf at the local Wine & Spirits store since I was getting toward the bottom of my open bottle of Lucid. For all the flack it's taken, I still argue it's not a bad absinthe--especially when you're trying to make the good stuff last.

It's also my go-to absinthe when it comes to giving newbies their first taste--and I'll be damned if most of them don't prefer it to the superior (to my taste) absinthe I often pair with it (Pacifique, WW, MoL, etc.).

It serves its purpose.

PS--Whatever happened to Ken H.?
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#4 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

If it's the same Ken H., he got elected.
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#5 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Ken Hallenius. Elected? Ah.

God help him.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#6 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I haven't seen him post since Green Week. Ironically, I also haven't seen him since then either.

I bought this gift set for myself a couple of weeks ago. It's not bad, the glasses are thin, but they have no seam that I could find.

I don't use the glasses or the spoon, but they're perfect for the next time I have people over and/or introduce people to absinthe.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#7 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

... For all the flack it's taken, I still argue it's not a bad absinthe...

It's also my go-to absinthe when it comes to giving newbies their first taste...

It serves its purpose.

I agree, and expressed the same in my 7/06/09 revisit of my review here.

PS--Whatever happened to Ken H.?

I have wondered the same for some time.

...the glasses are thin, but they have no seam that I could find.

Unseemly. :dry:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

I haven't seen him post since Green Week. Ironically, I also haven't seen him since then either.

I wonder. Is it possible someone forgot to tell Ken the party was over? He could still be standing in the forest, waiting for us to call him in.

#9 whatsqueaks282

whatsqueaks282

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

I bought one of these gift sets as well. Very over priced in my area but I had never tried Lucid at the time and it was the same price as a bottle by itself so I thought what the hell. (Lucid is like $65-$70 a bottle around here and is the only absinthe available that is not god awful or bohemian so all the more reason to buy online)

The glasses are kinda thin but effective. Reminiscent of toy kitchen sets when I was a kid, but you can see some pretty good oil trails through them when louching. The spoon is a bit cheap in comparison to some of the more ornate ones on the market, but unlike the wormwood leaf one I have it has a lip in the handle to let it fit over the mouth of the glass better which is kind of cool. Works good too. Most definitely worth it and will come in handy if I ever have guests who want to try some.

#10 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

I wonder. Is it possible someone forgot to tell Ken the party was over? He could still be standing in the forest, waiting for us to call him in.

Hmm. He's probably a little blue if that's the case.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#11 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

+1 to Lucid being awesome for the gift sets. PERFECT gift for people just getting into absinthe (ECHO....echo......) and giving them a relatively inexpensive, all inclusive, introduction. Yeah, the glasses are a little thin, but for ~$70, a decent bottle, 2 glasses, and a spoon is brilliant!

Edit: Just noticed they changed the packaging... :thumbdown: Yeah, sure, everyone loves tits, but really?

My only gripe is that I'm SOOO sick of Lucid.

#12 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

+1 on that last point. The downside of being everywhere, all the time.
- cogito ergo louche

#13 adamnsmith

adamnsmith

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

This gift set is where I acquired my full-time glasses. I'm glad they did this. Saved me from buying a glass elsewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association