• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a fondness for this beverage. I am specifically looking at the Boulard line and would like to get some comments, especially on your favorite way of drinking it.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,122 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

I've most enjoyed ale aged in oldCalvados bottles.

I've also noticed a Dupont cider that'sundergone the same type of aging, and I'm planning on trying some of that soon.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

I've only just recently gotten into calvados myself, so I can't claim to be an expert--but I think that the Boulard Grand Solage calvados is quite nice and reasonably priced. I also like the aged apple brandies made by Lairds here in the US. Their low-end blended applejack isn't much to write home about, but their straight, bonded stuff and their aged brandies are very good indeed.

I enjoy drinking it straight in a snifter like any good cognac or armagnac, but it's also great in cocktails. Some of my favorites are the Calvados, the Honeymoon, the Star, the Depth Charge, and the Jack Rose.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#4 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

What is it about Fall that just cries out for apple brandy and Calvados? I myself started with the Laird's Applejack and quickly moved on to their bottled-in-bond 100% apple brandy. The Morin Cavlados is quite reasonably-priced and works well in a Jack Rose and an Apple Brandy Old Fashioned. I also recently picked up a 375mL of the Clear Creek Eau de Vie de Pomme and am really enjoying that. Cheers to Calvados! :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#5 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

I enjoyed some Laird's about a week ago as well. It was used in a pot of fabulous hot apple cider, and again in each mug of cider I poured myself.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#6 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

I was thinking of experimenting with the Applejack, some apple cider, maybe a little dribble of absinthe (perhaps Marteau?), and some mulling spices to make a warm toddy for this event. Now when someone says, "Why don't you go play on the highway?" I can actually do it, if only for one day.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#7 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Sounds like a blend that probably can't go wrong. Well, the drink blend. Not the drinking and then playing on the highway thing.

:cheers:

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#8 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

If I'm getting up at 7am on a cold Sunday in December to "run" a 5K on the highway, there WILL be booze involved. I guarantee it!

#9 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

I would pay money to see a bunch of drunken folk meandering in the general direction of the finish line.

But keeping on topic, here's a recipe I found for calvados glazed apples by my absolute most favoritest chef.

#10 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

Here is a recipe for Pears and Calvados...it is similar to one that my family has used for years...delicious..and great with a Riesling.

http://frenchkitchen...lvados-and.html
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#11 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Sounds like a blend that probably can't go wrong.

Calvados and absinthe pair very well in the Third Rail. I had one just last night, going a little heavier on the absinthe than just a dash (I added around 1/4 teaspoon). Good stuff!

The Old Puss looks interesting too...
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#12 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

So many delicious things to be made and shared. I'm going to need more Calvados!

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

My sentiments exactly! :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

I made my apple brandy toddy recipe. Here it is, if anyone wants to give it a try.

#15 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

Thanks very much, everyone. This is super interesting info. :cheers:

#16 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Drinkboy's list of Calvados cocktails is also a great resource. I recommend the Widow's Kiss, among others.

#17 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Here, here! I second The Widow's Kiss. Even better was that I first experienced this drink in the Zig Zag Cafe. :cheers:

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#18 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Sipping an "Old Puss" and enjoying Sunday evening. I may watch television......

probably not. ;)

The calvados and gin work well together. Aw heck, tonight, booze works for me. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#19 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

Calvados and absinthe pair very well in the Third Rail.

Hmmm. That drink's no Spritzer-tini. Nothing but high-proof booze and a glass. I'll have to try it...
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#20 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:38 AM

Well, with a name like "The Third Rail," you can't accuse it of false advertising! :laugh:

Despite its ingredients, it's actually a very smooth, sippable cocktail--albeit one that packs a wallop. The proverbial fist in a velvet glove.

Many of the recipes I've seen call for white rum in this; I personally find that a gold rum like Appleton rounds out the flavors better. And Leopold Bros. works very nicely here too, as it does in most rum-based cocktails that call for absinthe.

I'd be interested to hear what you think, WBT.

In the meantime, OMG's endorsement has moved the Old Puss high up on my list of cocktails to try. Maybe tonight...

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:52 AM

Sipping an "Old Puss" and enjoying Sunday evening.

Cougar? :tongue:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#22 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,119 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

I picked up a bottle of the Boulard Grand Solage at the LC on Saturday, and I am definitely a fan. Drank a bit from a snifter, awesome. I am looking forward to trying some of the suggestions that have appeared here. :cheers:

#23 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

I made my apple brandy toddy recipe. Here it is, if anyone wants to give it a try.

Last year my wife got a bottle of Lairds for use in a recipe and i was left with nearly a full bottle. I tried some sort of wanna-be appletini and then just added it to apple cider. Not impressive at all.
Maybe it will find its true calling in a hot drink. Maybe i will find a black eye when i mention cocktation to my wife.

#24 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

Was it Laird's low-end, 80-proof applejack? That stuff is really just a blend of apple brandy and neutral grain spirits; it's not very impressive.

Their 100-proof, straight apple brandy and aged apple brandies are a different story. If you haven't tried them, it's well worth doing so.

#25 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

The applejack will work in my hot toddy recipe, or feel free to tweak it out to suit your tastes. Go for it and let me know what you think!

#26 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Yes the 80 proof. I really love good apple juice or cider. I imagine that a quality Calvados would be very enjoyable.

#27 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,119 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:20 AM

I'm glad I learned the difference between the actual fruit brandies and the fruit-flavored ones, quality versus cheap I suppose. The Boulard is quite satisfactory. Good thing - it's the only Calvados available in Winnipeg.

#28 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

Finally got around to trying the Old Puss: Boulard Grand Solage, Plymouth, Marteau, and some homemade grenadine. I threw in a lemon twist for the heck of it too.

Really good stuff!

#29 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

I just ordered my first Calvados, and am eager to experience it.
I went with Domaine Coeur de Lion Christian Drouin Calvados Hors d'Age

Has anyone had this?

#30 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,119 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

I saw a few really good comments on the web. Pay's d'Auge usually indicates a superior product, so I think you will love it. Being Hors d'Age, it should be wonderfully smooth, and the flavor will be nicely complex, being made from 30 different species of apples. Please let us know your impression. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association