cargoplex

Is anyone else awestruck by the color of Duplais Swiss Absinthe Verte?

So I recently purchased a bottle of Duplais Swiss Absinthe Verte, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I'd have to say this is the first absinthe produced with grain neutral spirits I have sampled that didn't have that overwhelming "wet hay" smell out of the bottle. As I poured my first glass, I was quite taken back by the brilliant emerald shade of this absinthe. It's almost hard to believe, but they do state that it is 100% naturally colored on their website:

The chlorophyll from aromatic plants, which are infused in the distillate after distillation, naturally colors Duplais Swiss Absinthe Verte. As a naturally colored product, Duplais will experience some color changes as the chlorophyll oxidizes over time and will eventually the legendary "dead leaf" color, a telling characteristic of the finest vintage absinthes.

Nonetheless, I seriously doubt I will have the ability to let my bottle "age" for any length of time to find out! ;)

2422552075_0fbf214bbd.jpg

Yup. I like it quite a bit, and haven't been able to age a bottle either. It's kind of funny, a woman I know shared some "Naturally" colored olives last week, and everyone was rather off put by the greenness of them. To me they looked like little Duplais balls. :twitchsmile:

This topic was discussed fairly heavily several years ago. Many people can't believe the color, but moreover, the fact that the green doesn't seem to fade. That said, Markus has never done anything for me to question his integrity and he still maintains to this day that it's naturally colored.

I also must note that there is one herb in particular that I know of that creates that vibrant green and keeps it. At least, it has for about 18 months in full sun.

That said, Markus has never done anything for me to question his integrity and he still maintains to this day that it's naturally colored.

Yes, but it's a natural secret proprietary process™, according to Marcus, as I recall.

That said, Markus has never done anything for me to question his integrity and he still maintains to this day that it's naturally colored.

Innovation.

I love innovation. Good stuff.

I was sorely tempted by your post, you awful, awful person. I'd already promised that when my Obsello was killed off I'd replace it with Pacifique-- and you can't go back on a promise to the green fairy or you have to pay a quarter for every tooth you have (I may be remembering this wrong).

Anyway, I just placed my order for Pacifique and the Duplais Blanche. I believe all affected gods, spirits, and/or mythical creatures will be satisfied with it. I figure. I can always just add food coloring to the blanche until it's the proper shade of LTV. ;)

PS. I've also expressed to DUNY my stong desire to reorder MoL. Maybe if enough of us do...

Hey! You're a day trip away from Dakini. Zip over to Walton, get a tour from Dakini and a couple of bottles of booze. Spend the night in Cooperstown (Baseball hall of fame, ya know) or Oneonta (Go Red Dragons!) and you have a fine little driving vacation. I used to love the drive from Cincinnati through the finger Lakes to Oneonta. Beautiful country to drive through to get good booze.

Oh yes, Duplais is very green and I'm sure very natural.

It's a beautiful village in the Susquehanna River valley.

I taught at SUNY Oneonta for three years (when the earth was young and dinosaurs still roamed Montana).

Small but lovely, at least it was.

Yes, but it's a natural secret proprietary process™, according to Marcus, as I recall.

Imagine that, the Swiss not only being inventive but also being good at keeping secrets. Who ever heard of such a thing? :tongue:

PS. I've also expressed to DUNY my stong desire to reorder MoL. Maybe if enough of us do...

Time to move on. They'll never reorder. Please visit my web site for the vendors that do have my product. Thanks.

btw, Joe's idea is a good one. Weather has held up and you won't have a sea of white to drive through (though that's beautiful too).

I taught at SUNY Oneonta for three years (when the earth was young and dinosaurs still roamed Montana).

I remember those days quite vividly. I could swear I even visited Oneonta (from Buffalo) a couple of times, so, who knows, we might have even met. Or I didn't. Reality was kinda blurred around the edges...and the center...and the space in between, back then. :twitchsmile:

I got all giddy when I saw this thread. Duplais Verte is one of my favs, and I was gobsmacked at the beautiful color. I miss it already.

There are some of the Matter absinthes that I really enjoy, I feel they get a bum rap from too many people, I don't know why some feel the need to hate on them so much. The ceramic jug of blanche traditionelle Essai 4 is still my favorite blanche, it's fantastic. The Brevans and Duplais Balance are solid, even the Mansinthe stuff is decent.

The Duplais is one of the few absinthes that, while I like it, I have to almost intentionally over-water it, otherwise the flavor is just too intense. It's much better than the Balance or the Brevans, I think.

I've had a bottle of Duplais open for about 5 years; it was far too astringent for me at the beginning. I actually wondered if my bottle was faulty, I even let it breathe for months and it was still astringent. It seems to have mellowed out a lot now, but the colour is as vibrant as ever. My guess is that it's going to stay that way for about 100 years.

and I was gobsmacked at the beautiful color

I saw a bottle of Ron's that was quite green but not sure what it was. I was skeered to know the answer.

Sometimes you really don't want to know the answer.

To all the green, off green, olive and peridot plus any dead leaf colors, :cheers:

and I was gobsmacked at the beautiful color

I saw a bottle of Ron's that was quite green but not sure what it was. I was skeered to know the answer.

Sometimes you really don't want to know the answer.

To all the green, off green, olive and peridot plus any dead leaf colors, :cheers:

I've seen a couple ridiculously awesome green absinthes. Green that could make you eat babies just to get a bottle. Effing amazing. I can't remember where though.

And answers only lead to more questions, Bill!

Here's a pic of my Duplais Verte from a couple months ago. And the sad thing is, as good as it looks this picture still doesn't do it any justice. What can I say. I'm a fan.

8421_250501400246_505500246_8634716_4530622_n.jpg