oglala56

Alcohol and Health Benefits

Now that I drink absinthe on a regular basis I haven't had an attack in years. As I said, this runs in my family and now all of them, including the non-drinkers, have a bottle on hand in case of an attack and they all swear by it. It really works! :twitchsmile:

Great story! I think I'll have a glass or two every other day or so. You know, as a preventative. :cheers:

I don't deal with diverticulitis, but I can testify to the effectiveness of absinthe in treating minor digestive and stomach-related issues. It is now the first thing I reach for.

That is very interesting!

When I have a cold I find that absinthe helps with the coughing. I think its the anise that does it. I guess it's an expectorant? not sure if thats the right word but basically it does the same thing as Buckley's... buzz and all.

So with absinthe we can lower our risk of heart disease, prevent diverticulitis and relieve annoying coughs. But there is one things it's not good for and that's your liver. If the researchers who did the study that started this thread analyzed the livers of those who had low risk of heart disease do to regular to heauy alcohol consumption then the results may not haue been so positive.

We can't forget about our livers. We need them.

That is very interesting!

When I have a cold I find that absinthe helps with the coughing. I think its the anise that does it. I guess it's an expectorant? not sure if thats the right word but basically it does the same thing as Buckley's... buzz and all.

So with absinthe we can lower our risk of heart disease, prevent diverticulitis and relieve annoying coughs. But there is one things it's not good for and that's your liver. If the researchers who did the study that started this thread analyzed the livers of those who had low risk of heart disease do to regular to heauy alcohol consumption then the results may not haue been so positive.

We can't forget about our livers. We need them.

Just could not resist...

Is there a safe level of drinking?

For most people, moderate drinking will not lead to alcohol-induced liver disease.

Women are more likely to be affected by alcohol-induced liver disease because women can be affected by smaller amounts of alcohol than men.

Even small amounts of alcohol can be dangerous when taken with medications containing acetaminophen, found in many over-the-counter pain relievers. The combination of alcohol and acetaminophen can be very harmful to the liver for anyone who drinks. Never take acetaminophen with alcohol, or immediately after a period of heavy drinking.

Even small amounts of alcohol can be dangerous when taken with medications containing acetaminophen, found in many over-the-counter pain relievers. The combination of alcohol and acetaminophen can be very harmful to the liver for anyone who drinks. Never take acetaminophen with alcohol, or immediately after a period of heavy drinking.

I may have experienced this. It could be that I'm more sensitive to substances, or I was feeling poorly already, but I had a small dose of acetaminophen and then a beer or two in college and had one of the worst mood swings I've ever experienced--it was a full-body swing, with a sort of dull ache I've never felt since. Truly awful.

This is more specifically about the health benefits of drinking absinthe. It'll be somewhat long winded (feel free to edit it Brian) so please bear with me.

I suffer from a condition known as diverticulitis. This where you have small pockets that grow off of you intestines, kind of like mini-appendixes. It's a hereditary condition that runs in my family. If these little pockets get clogged up they get infected, similar to appendicitis. It's extremely painful and from the time you get the first symptoms till your dead is about a week.

The first time I came down with it I had to have emergency surgery. After that I had attacks every 4 -6 months and the only recognized medical treatment is a heavy duty regimen of the antibiotics Flagyll and Cypro (they use Cypro to treat people who have anthrax). The antibiotics make you sick as a dog for about 2 weeks and you can't have any dairy products or alcohol (2 of my favorite things).

About 5 years ago I had a bad attack and decided I had to go to the doctor the next day. I had some bottles of good absinthe at the time, and while wormwood has been used as an intestinal medicine for ages, I didn't really put any stock in those stories. Well, I had a couple of glasses that night as I figured the alcohol would act as a painkiller to get me through the night till I could see a doctor.

The next morning the pain was considerably lessened, so I decided to wait another day to see the doctor as I hate those antibiotics so much. The second evening I had another few glasses. Lo and behold, the next day the diverticulitis was gone.

After that anytime I had an attack, two nights of drinking absinthe would cure me. Now that I drink absinthe on a regular basis I haven't had an attack in years. As I said, this runs in my family and now all of them, including the non-drinkers, have a bottle on hand in case of an attack and they all swear by it. It really works! Sorry if this was too long. :twitchsmile:

Amazing...I have a friend who has been plagued by diverticulitis for years. He is careful about his diet, but has always been plagued by attacks. When an attack, I guess that is what it is called, starts he takes a very potent antibiotic called AMOX TR-k CLV. It really has some adverse effects, but prevents the escalation of the attack. He had a dinner party the other night and he mentioned he would have to start taking antibiotics again and could not drink. I suggested absinthe, as I had brought some along, taking your past experience.. His wife was nervous about taking instead of the antibiotic. But he said if it didn't work he could always take the medicine. Well, he was amazed. The next day his symptoms did not increase and after the second day they were gone. Herbal health..Fascinating...

Not one, but TWO testimonials on this? These are such encouraging stories to hear guys, especially in this jolly time of year! :) Jack, I had no idea you had such a condition, but it does my heart good to know that something you love is an alternative to synthetic drugs.

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

Yes, years ago I would have a drink or two of vodka or whiskey as a painkiller. They would temporarily help with the pain, but did nothing for the actual attack. The next day the diverticulitis would be worse and I would have to go to the doctor for antibiotics. Only absinthe cured the attacks. Remember, wormwood has been used since the beginning of recorded history as a medicine for the stomach and intestines.

This is more specifically about the health benefits of drinking absinthe. It'll be somewhat long winded (feel free to edit it Brian) so please bear with me.

I suffer from a condition known as diverticulitis. This where you have small pockets that grow off of you intestines, kind of like mini-appendixes. It's a hereditary condition that runs in my family. If these little pockets get clogged up they get infected, similar to appendicitis. It's extremely painful and from the time you get the first symptoms till your dead is about a week.

The first time I came down with it I had to have emergency surgery. After that I had attacks every 4 -6 months and the only recognized medical treatment is a heavy duty regimen of the antibiotics Flagyll and Cypro (they use Cypro to treat people who have anthrax). The antibiotics make you sick as a dog for about 2 weeks and you can't have any dairy products or alcohol (2 of my favorite things).

About 5 years ago I had a bad attack and decided I had to go to the doctor the next day. I had some bottles of good absinthe at the time, and while wormwood has been used as an intestinal medicine for ages, I didn't really put any stock in those stories. Well, I had a couple of glasses that night as I figured the alcohol would act as a painkiller to get me through the night till I could see a doctor.

The next morning the pain was considerably lessened, so I decided to wait another day to see the doctor as I hate those antibiotics so much. The second evening I had another few glasses. Lo and behold, the next day the diverticulitis was gone.

After that anytime I had an attack, two nights of drinking absinthe would cure me. Now that I drink absinthe on a regular basis I haven't had an attack in years. As I said, this runs in my family and now all of them, including the non-drinkers, have a bottle on hand in case of an attack and they all swear by it. It really works! Sorry if this was too long. :twitchsmile:

Amazing...I have a friend who has been plagued by diverticulitis for years. He is careful about his diet, but has always been plagued by attacks. When an attack, I guess that is what it is called, starts he takes a very potent antibiotic called AMOX TR-k CLV. It really has some adverse effects, but prevents the escalation of the attack. He had a dinner party the other night and he mentioned he would have to start taking antibiotics again and could not drink. I suggested absinthe, as I had brought some along, taking your past experience.. His wife was nervous about taking instead of the antibiotic. But he said if it didn't work he could always take the medicine. Well, he was amazed. The next day his symptoms did not increase and after the second day they were gone. Herbal health..Fascinating...

Update:

I continue to be impressed..Herbal reaction with the human body...Absinthe...My friend has not had one episode since he started drinking absinthe. He mentioned that he drinks at least one absinthe each evening and he has not had any symptoms at all. He also mentioned that he sleeps really well now..he had sleeping issues for years...waking up and then going back to sleep..amazing...

These are amazing stories. Absinthe is a bad-ass drink. Whenever I get a stomach ache I'll louche up a glass and I feel better instantly. It's also nice right before a big meal- after a glass or two I can eat like a horse. :thumbup:

A co-worker of my sister suffered diverticulitis so bad that doctors were urging her to have surgery. They would go in, find these little 'pockets' and surgically remove them. Needless to say she was very upset with this diagnosis. My sister suggested she give absinthe a try, which she did. You know what, you guessed it, she no longer needs surgery! It truly does my heart good to see my experience with diverticulits and absinthe validated by so many others. :yahoo:

I propose we apply for a grant-funded study of this effect. That will really put the WS on the map! I'm a believer. :thumbup:

I work at a very well know medical institute (it's name is a condiment you put on sandwiches) and am actively trying to get someone interested in just such a study. Wish me luck.

Edited by absinthejack

Whoa! Best wishes generating interest--something like what jcbphd mentioned would be a great thing to show to people.

I propose we apply for a grant-funded study of this effect. That will really put the WS on the map! I'm a believer. :thumbup:

Absinthejack,

Funny you mention that. I had read it was used medicinally for such ailments myself. I suffer occasionally from ulcers and acid reflux. Alcohol made it worse and caused migraines as well, so I pretty much quit drinking unless it was a special occasion.

Since discovering Absinthe, I have something I can enjoy that causes me no adverse reactions.

Last night, I had a killer stomach ache, and was determined to have at least one glass of Marteau to celebrate New Year's Eve anyway. And what do you know? A quarter of the way through the glass? it just vanished.

I believe there is something to this theory, indeed. :thumbup:

That must mean that there are more healthy people per square foot at Tales of the Cocktail, than any other place in the USA.

Absinthejack,

Funny you mention that. I had read it was used medicinally for such ailments myself. I suffer occasionally from ulcers and acid reflux. Alcohol made it worse and caused migraines as well, so I pretty much quit drinking unless it was a special occasion.

Since discovering Absinthe, I have something I can enjoy that causes me no adverse reactions.

Last night, I had a killer stomach ache, and was determined to have at least one glass of Marteau to celebrate New Year's Eve anyway. And what do you know? A quarter of the way through the glass? it just vanished.

I believe there is something to this theory, indeed. :thumbup:

Excellent :thumbup: