• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Moderator's note:
Review Sections are up.

Verte

Rouge

--------------------------------------------

Amerique 1912 Absinthe? I just came across this. Any word?

*EDIT* I followed the links to buy a bottle and it seems like it's not available anymore at the online store they said it would be.

#2 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

It's been discussed elsewhere on the forum already. I don't remember the thread. Both look interesting, I'd like to try them sometime.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#3 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Cool, I'll look around. I'd love to get my hands on them.

#4 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Here is a link...

http://www.franklinn...s/59406342.html
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#5 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

it's not at Binny's?
nasty prisms good sir

#6 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Does not appear to be...

http://www.binnys.co...;astxt=absinthe
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#7 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, I checked Binny's but they're a no-show!

In the pic on that link it looks like a rather thin louche. But you can't really tell for certain...

#8 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

I like that label! I would love to try both of them, I would imagine they can't be too expensive with the 375ml bottles

they both look so tasty :twitchsmile:
nasty prisms good sir

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Grehorst is the distiller. He hasn't been on for some time though.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Tell him to get it approved for Canada! :tongue: (I always say that)
nasty prisms good sir

#11 Funky D

Funky D

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

The absinthes are a nice first effort, but along with the thin louche comes a thin taste. I was hoping for a bit more, as the other Great Lakes products are stellar. Then again, the small size makes it a great introductory absinthe for the curious, and unlike some of the other xit marketed to newbies the 1912 is created using a traditional recipe and methods.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I find the rouge a bit more interesting than the verte, but I'll still reach for the Rehorst Gin or the Pumpkin spirit over these absinthes. Their grappa keeps calling my name too... the bottle looks awesome!

#12 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

at least it sounds like they've made a great first attempt. Hopefully future iterations will be even better! Having a quality rouge on the market could help spreading interest.

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

Review Sections are up.

Verte

Rouge

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 grehorst

grehorst

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know we've finally got our absinthe into a shipping store- Binny's now stocks both of our absinthes.

Also just got the BTI results- 95 for our Amerique 1912 Absinthe Rouge and a 94 for our Amerique 1912 Absinthe Verte. Looking forward to more Society members reviews!

Guy

#15 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Just wanted to let you know we've finally got our absinthe into a shipping store- Binny's now stocks both of our absinthes.

:cheers: I've got a bottle of the rouge on its way to FL from Binny's even as I type this! My wife and I are looking forward to trying it!

Maredudd
- The question isn't if you CAN do it . . .
- The question is should you . . .

#16 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

:cheers: I've got a bottle of the rouge on its way to FL from Binny's even as I type this! My wife and I are looking forward to trying it!

I got a question . . .

I got my bottle of Amerique Rouge, and it is anything but rouge. I'll try to post a pic later, but I'm wondering if rouges can fade to yellow?

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yellowish orange, yes.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yellowish orange, yes.

I guess it could be describes as yellowish-orange, but it tastes good. My wife doesn't care for it, but she's not much for alcohol anyway.

#19 Blue Star

Blue Star

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yellowish orange, yes.

I guess it could be describes as yellowish-orange, but it tastes good. My wife doesn't care for it, but she's not much for alcohol anyway.

I chatted with the distiller last Saturday, and he pointed out that the challenge with hibiscus coloring is that it fades much faster than the chlorophyll in a traditional absinthe verte. It is indeed hibiscus colored (an amber-tinged dark pink) when first produced, I can attest. However, the flavor and nose should be more long-lived than the color.

Imbibing and distilling!

http://quincystreetdistillery.com

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

What little I have played with hibiscus would bear that out, Blue Star. The spirit is beautiful in the glass but the louche goes sorta murky-pink. The amber orange might turn out much better post-louche.

#21 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

It also depends on how much hibiscus was used, if the hibiscus was first macerated in heated (or not heated) water, and used as a dilution and coloring step, or heated (or not heated) in the distillate and then the resulting colored distillate was then reduced with water.

After Un Emile Rouge 2006, I pretty much got over actually making commercial hibiscus colored absinthe as it is already hard enough to explain a natural verte and their varieties, let alone a 'rouge' that is now 'salmon' colored...
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Mmmmm, salmon absinthe. Great with sushi.

#23 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

I know a fellow that reduced a bottle of red wine down to just a few ounces. A few drops in a blanche would make it pretty interesting. I've seen the color hold quite awhile as well. Just sayin'

it is already hard enough to explain a natural verte and their varieties, let alone a 'rouge' that is now 'salmon' colored...

Yes Sir, I heartily agree. Green or white works well enough for me. I'm still trying to de-mythify the whole absinthe thing.

Onward through the fog! :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#24 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

I chatted with the distiller last Saturday, and he pointed out that the challenge with hibiscus coloring is that it fades much faster than the chlorophyll in a traditional absinthe verte. It is indeed hibiscus colored (an amber-tinged dark pink) when first produced, I can attest. However, the flavor and nose should be more long-lived than the color.

My wife says that, next to the blanches we have the Amerique does indeed look orangish-yellow. I haven't had a chance to check myself but as my wife is an artist, I trust her statement. (Just not sure what fusia is!)

As for the flavor and the nose, I like both lots, though the flavor does come across a bit rougher than Lucid but less so than Pacifique. My wife's favorite is still Ridge Verte while I'm split between Walton Waters, Meadow of Love, Ridge Varte and, well, everything but the Lucid but including the Amerique Rouge! :thumbup:

Now to order a bottle of Amerique Verte!

~ M

Edited by Maredudd, 26 February 2012 - 10:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association