Wild Bill Turkey

The World has Truly Changed

I just went into my local Bevmo (California chain of liquor supermarkets) and experienced a moment that felt so surreal that my whole stream of conciousness was interrupted and I stood open-mouthed and dumbstruck in the aisle.

There, in the glassware section, just above the pilsner glasses and below the decanters, was an entire shelf of Pontarlier glasses, divided into two sections: faceted, and uncut. $14.99 plus tax. No shipping from Europe, or even from la Lousiannne. Just grabbed one down off the shelf and threw it into my basket like it was a box of cereal.

And this after having my friend Nadine show up at my Halloween party bearing a bag from her local liquor store that contained not only a sixer of Red Stripe, but also a reproduction Feuille d'Absinthe spoon twist-tied to a hanger-card with the Robette illustration on it. There was a little price tag on it and everything. It had been an impulse purchase. She just grabbed it because it had been hanging on a rack near the cash register, next to the Simpsons™ bottle openers and Bic lighters.

I raise a toast to you, my brethren and kin. Times are hard and life is too damned short. But in this, our shared passion, life only seems to get sweeter by the day... ...

Interesting topic. Which I was in the process of blogging about.

5 years ago today, Claude-Alain made it to the New York Times.

5 years ago this month, the Wormwood Society Forum started (hope that doesn't steal your thunder, Gwydion).

5 years ago this month, I visited the epi-center of the Czech absinth empire!

Lots of changes since then. Which you can read about on my blog today. And I finally got permission from The Thirsty Traveler to show the Swiss excerpts from his absinthe programme there.

Santé!

I just went into my local Bevmo (California chain of liquor supermarkets) and experienced a moment that felt so surreal that my whole stream of conciousness was interrupted and I stood open-mouthed and dumbstruck in the aisle.

There, in the glassware section, just above the pilsner glasses and below the decanters, was an entire shelf of Pontarlier glasses, divided into two sections: faceted, and uncut. $14.99 plus tax. No shipping from Europe, or even from la Lousiannne. Just grabbed one down off the shelf and threw it into my basket like it was a box of cereal.

And this after having my friend Nadine show up at my Halloween party bearing a bag from her local liquor store that contained not only a sixer of Red Stripe, but also a reproduction Feuille d'Absinthe spoon twist-tied to a hanger-card with the Robette illustration on it. There was a little price tag on it and everything. It had been an impulse purchase. She just grabbed it because it had been hanging on a rack near the cash register, next to the Simpsons™ bottle openers and Bic lighters.

I raise a toast to you, my brethren and kin. Times are hard and life is too damned short. But in this, our shared passion, life only seems to get sweeter by the day... ...

Time to retire......I'm putting my entire collection up for sale.

What's next Taco Cabana Frozen Absinthe Frappe Machines?

Thanks for the tip. I will check out my local BevMo. Now, if they would just improve the selection of absinthe, things will be rosy...er, green. :cheers:

It's interesting to see how far things have come. Picking a glass as easily as a box of cereal is a funny one-- does it take a little of the magic or clubhouse appeal out of absinthe when things are that accessible, or is it a case of 'bout dang time...

I'm not sure how I would feel about it, but I think it's probably progress all the same.

For me, it's definitely the " 'bout dang time" option.

I came to absinthe from the "Wow, this is way better than Pastis" direction, rather than the "I've always heard absinthe was a mysterious drug" road, so to me there was no bubble-bursting when it turned out to just be booze. Consequently, I don't care how exclusive it is. My goal has always been to be able to walk to my corner store in flip-flops and buy world-class absinthe. It won't be long now...

I like the availability of quality absinthe & accessories, it's the cheap junk, and crappy absinthe on the shelves, that make me turn away from a number of liquor stores.

Still a long way to go in many areas.