Funky D

Empty bottles

Just wondering what everyone does with their empty bottles. Proudly display them on the mantel? Hide them away in a closet? Chuck them into the recycling bin? Break them over an enemy's head? :devil:

I've told myself I will save one bottle of every absinthe I drink. They are currently sitting in my closet, just waiting for the day they will be grandly displayed... somewhere. I'm a bit of a packrat... I've gotten better in recent years, as my apartment is on the small side, and I enjoy being able to walk around without tripping over crap. The bottle collection is currently at eight, but that's mainly because I can't bring myself to drink the last drop of many of my other bottles!

Anyone else? And if it's a grand display, a picture is worth a thousand words :thumbup:

I have tried saving my bottles, but a while back I found myself just throwing out my first 10 bottles of absinthe because they just take up too much dang space. So now, just like my wine and scotch I save the labels in a book. I let my full bottle be my grand display. :tongue:

I've saved a few just for giggles. They're on various bookshelves. Like a dead bottle of Jade Edouard, VdF, La Matriesse, La Coquete. I've got three dead hg bottles, two have a naked red head on them and one has Dr. Yueh. Each one is a little autobiographical. ;)

The others have been introduced to recycling.

Supposedly there's a technique of flattening out old glass bottles that one can do with a pottery kiln, and supposedly one of the instructors was going to show us how to do it some night. Maybe even with a freshly polished off bottle of something.

How do you get them off and mount them?

I'd suggest the later first (if your lucky it will accomplish both) or you might end up twiddling your thumbs while she falls asleep.

Edited by Jazper

I used to try to save all of my bottles. Then I moved three times in a year and a half. Now I only keep the really pretty ones that I probably won't get again.

Empty bottles? Not for long at my house. I refill them with something.

You bought them so you should use them......it will save money in the long run.

Examples:

Home made wine

Lemoncello

Mead

Sharing your booze with friends.

Those were just a few. I buy more corks than bottles. Corks come 25 in a bag and bottles only come 6 to 12 per case.

Drink up friends, Cheers!

I knew I could count on you guys. :laugh: If only it hadn't been past Absomphe's bedtime, it would have been a glorious derailing.

Not necessarily.

I was only going to suggest turning them into something practical like quarter jars to help defray the cost of more bottles of that nefarious poison. :devil:

Yeah, I remember back in the pre-post-ban days when an empty absinthe bottle could still cause a commotion on ebay. I should have sold a few back then, but I wanted to collect them. Nowadays, like Peridot, I only save the really pretty ones or the ones that have a special history.

I remember once Abby, from the Lounge, posted a photo of a large plastic garbage can (full size, like a yard-waste bin) filled with old absinthe bottles. I thought it was an impressive collection. Then I found out it was just her current garbage can, and that she never saved her old bottles. That was when I realized that I would always be a newbie...

Just wondering what everyone does with their empty bottles. Proudly display them on the mantel? Hide them away in a closet? Chuck them into the recycling bin? Break them over an enemy's head? :devil:

None of the above FunkyD. Once emptied, I put them under my pillow and la fee verte comes in and trades me a quarter. So far I've made five bucks.

As uncomfortable as the under-the-pillow trick sounds, I may just have to give it a shot! And a what a great aroma to drift asleep to... assuming the bottle was just recently finished, of course.

There are much worse things to smell than even an old bottle of absinthe. I remember sometime last year there was a perfume for sale at Harrod's that smelt of blood, sweat, saliva and semen.

Edit: Here's the link. And I was mistaken. It was at Harvey Nichols. And as a funny footnote, it costs more than a bottle of fine absinthe.

Just wondering what everyone does with their empty bottles.

The design on the Taboo bottle is glow-in-the-dark, I keep one empty in my bedroom for the nightlight effect after I turn off the lights. It entertains me for a few seconds.

I like to keep one of each brand that I've purchased and drank. The pack rat in me has also managed to amass a few empties that sit in my closet and collect dust. I tell myself that they're backups in case one on my bookcase breaks. I'll throw them out one of these days...

I generally like to keep one full bottle of the same brand of absinthe behind each open bottle in my absinthe cabinet. That way I can appreciate the next one and the next one and the next one.

I like to recycle. I'm Green and sometimes, so is my absinthe (naturally, unless it's clear like Kübler, Clandestine, etc...)

Until they come out with a really cool looking hand made bottle I see no need to keep the empties.

I'd rather collect more absinthe glasses and save more room in the cabinet for more absinthe.

Pack rat here. I keep one of each, usually, though I've kept two Leopold's because the differences between the two batches were distinct and there's still some sniffin' to be had. I should go do a compare and contrast right now!

I'm like the other folks that try to save one bottle of each brand they've purchased. I've got 'em on display, but the collection is piling up and I'm running out of room hehe.