Ron

Jade line available end of November

I have a bottle of PF 1901 arriving soon. It's the only one in the line I haven't tried before and I'm looking forward to it. Before I ordered it I read the various reviews. For the most part people seem quite pleased with it and the rest of the Jade line. Those who are unimpressed stand out but they seem to be in the minority.

When someone scores an absinthe as low as they do in comparison with other absintheurs it seems to make their review suspect. That's just my opinion.

Critics serve a purpose and an honest critique is most appreciated.

I tried an absinthe that others rated quite high and yet had the hardest time finishing the bottle (although I did). I promised myself, however, I'd never buy another one of those.

But with all respect to Ted I must admit that last batch is quite off. I am not making blanket statements, I just wrote my point of view.

As far as blanket statements, I was actually talking about "the Jades have gone from worse to worse" and the like. Opinions are more than welcome, especially ones which talk about which aspects of the booze were unappealing to you, which flavors or aromas you found offensive, et cetera. "Stefano poured it down the sink" doesn't do anyone any justice, and coming from another producer, it could even sound like disparagement. I'm not insinuating that was your intent, but you must be aware of how others may read your opinions. That kind of goes along with what Todd mentioned.

As far as your opinion on the last batch being off, it's quite possible you are one of the absintheurs that picks up the Jade "funk" that has sometimes been referenced. I'm not one of those people. I've never tasted that. But I don't deny that others do taste it.

EP's repost of the PM he received from Ted offers an interesting insight into the recent bottling of at least the Verte Suisse, namely that it was a much older distillate than the original release, which people loved.

I can only speak for myself, but I just had a glass of Edouard in Breckenridge two weeks ago. It was every bit the world class spirit that it was the first time I had the pleasure to try it.

I beat the hell out of a couple bottles of the '09 Edouard and PF 1901, and found them both to be similarly fantastic as well. I haven't opened my '09 bottles of the VS or NO.

I once had a bottle of Obsello that tasted off. Really off. But the previous and subsequent bottlings were quite consistent.

As Brian says I always been in the anti-jade bandwagon anti-jade bandwagon proof

I don't believe I ever said that you've ALWAYS been anti-Jade. I knew you weren't. In fact, Ted himself pointed me to the specific time when your opinion seemed to have changed.

So please, don't try to twist my words.

Nope, no package from you.

That kills me. Same thing happened with my last package to Boggy. At least that one got returned to me so I could send it again. I'll send another on Monday.

There's no question in my mind, anyway, that the bottle of PF1901 from Sep 2007 sitting on the shelf in my basement is better than the bottle from Sep. 2009 sitting next to it.
I wonder how that 2009 bottle will taste in two more years? Tasting the same absinthe that are not the same age is not tasting the same absinthe. I'm not disagreeing with you, AiO but just pointing out that a little age can have a dramatic effect on absinthe.

Your point is well taken, Joe. That's why I waited over six months before commenting here on the differences I perceive between the batches of PF1901 in question. My Sep. 09 bottle has now been opened almost nine months, versus the almost two years my Sep. 07 bottle has been opened. That's a not inconsiderable difference in breathing time, but I find that if the aroma and flavor of an absinthe are going to undergo a dramatic change after it's been opened, it tends to happen within 6 months to a year of breathing. After that, I notice a sort plateauing effect. It may not be totally fair to compare two bottles of the same booze at different stages of breathing, then, but I don't think it's a question of apples and oranges either--if both are past that initial stage.

I should say that by no means do I consider the 09 PF1901 to be terrible or sink-worthy. It just doesn't measure up to past batches IMO. I should also say that I have the 09 bottling of VS too and find it to be more consistent with the samples of past bottlings I've tried (though still with a hint of that odd briny undertow that I never detected before). Haven't tried the Edouard or NO from 2009. I'm glad Ron and others haven't perceived the same differences between batches that I and others have. Like I said before, my slight disappointment with this latest run of PF1901 won't stop me from buying another bottle once a new batch becomes available stateside.

Fair enough, AiO. My point is fairly skewed anyway if EP's remarks are accurate (not questioning your veracity, EP) about the production/bottling dates. :cheers:

For what it's worth, and it's not much, since I have a VERY limited experience with absinthe, I have a 2009 bottling of NO, which I opened in May of this year. On my first glass I though that it was good, but maybe not worth the $100. After being open for 3 months the taste has definitely changed, and I think the price is much more reasonable. The spices have really opened up, and there's certainly no "funk". I would be really interested to see any proof that my bottle is in any way inferior, as I really think it's a pretty amazing spirit. As it is, I'll watch this space 'cause of the interesting debate, but I'll probably be acquiring the rest of the Jade line ASAP. :)

EP's repost of the PM he received from Ted offers an interesting insight into the recent bottling of at least the Verte Suisse, namely that it was a much older distillate than the original release, which people loved.

Yes I tought that it is not a really bad thing to the whole WS to know that the distillate were older and doesn't make the product more unappelling . So to my part , ( god constructive review) the wine base quality isn't good enough and hide the herbs witch it make it un-appeling.

When I did The SAQ tasting to bring the absinthe to Québec I was one of the 12 taster,in the jade league we got Lucid( witch it's don't taste the same I had the first release batch) witch I tough that is jade edouard 08 next was taboo witch I tought that it was a jade ( I never had Taboo before)... I tough that Eddy was wrong even back then ... but I didn't complain because I tough that my palate have change . There was also Blanchette at the tasting witch I recognise . The smell I write was moonshine the other taster write manure witch is not appealing for a consumer . when I get back home I write to combier to ask what it has happened and this is sad that blanchette taste not the same in a bad way I was used to write to Franck choisine . I don't get any answer that time . I send email to fabian bourgeois about the batch of edouard ... he litteraly say that I was crazy and the recipe doesn't change ...

Yes I did ... when I was to pontarlier ... Sapin is a more correct word ... but Pine remind me that industrial floor cleaning sound less appealing

Hey, fogeddaboutit... we's can't helps it if our native lingo don't sounds whatcha call too romantical like. :twitchsmile:

True in english but not in french :harhar:

in french they called it La famille des Pinacées instead of la famille des Pins

all right pine is OK ... back on the jaded topic ?

and Why sapin isn't good ? ( edited to match brian's next post)

Edited by EdouardPerneau

Who says there's anything wrong with using Sapin?

Point is, both of the trees you've mentioned are subsets of the same family (pine). So why do you have a problem with the name? No one else seems to.

You have an uncanny ability to shift focus from the subject at hand (originally Peroquette, then Jade, now Sapin). Should we split the topic again??? :twitchsmile:

(parentesis again )I wanted to study to become luthier why I nitpick on the tree name

Pierre verte did continue and the last time was just to answer to Absomphe

i can't resist to answer why it had taken too much room already ...

Edited by EdouardPerneau

Who says there's anything wrong with using Sapin?

Nobody, just as long as you wash thoroughly after wards. I hate sticky fingers.