78 replies to this topic

#61 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

But I'm sure you've seen plenty of examples that reinforce what I said.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#62 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

That's shocking to me.

It's shocking to everyone until they've participated in a formal blind tasting. ;)

All this is doing is making me question the usefulness of blind tastings.

Blind tastings are extremely useful. It really helps to show people that personal biases (including what you expect to taste) play a huge part in the enjoyment of any beverage.

If used properly, it can teach people to set aside such biases in order to do formal reviews.

The first few times I did them, it was an extremely humbling experience...

I'd say, there is tremendous truth in all of the above.

#63 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

I've seen people who think they're elite and cool talk shit about absinthes to look elite and cool. That's different.

I don't know if people's tastes are being influenced by conventional wisdom.

I will say that I have had difficulty tasting something until someone has brought it to my attention, but that's different. I couldn't actually taste wormwood in absinthe until I knew how it smelled and tasted. It wasn't even a "I don't know what this is" thing, but a complete absence of the experience of it.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#64 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Tons of star anise and very little wormwood will do that. ;)

Why is that? Has anybody asked him directly? The man must have some distilling ability after all, it seems that a little bit of candid but respectful conversation by somebody who knows more than I do about distilling might yield tremendous dividends for those of us currently engaged in this little controversy.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#65 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Wait, are you asking why tons of star anise (in the place of green anise) and little wormwood will make an absinthe taste like it's missing something? Isn't it obvious?

My stupid facebutt page.

#66 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

I think maybe he's asking why Lance chose to go that route. I'll answer by saying that Lance marches to the beat of his own drum. He doesn't care about tradition in that sense. He prefers to be 'revolutionary'.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#67 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

I don't know if people's tastes are being influenced by conventional wisdom.

Come to the next tasting event. Heck, stop by my house if you're ever on the way through the area. I'll hold an impromptu one for you.

Doing one this weekend for a few friends as well.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#68 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,343 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Love the new avatar, Peridot! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#69 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Thanks, enjoy it while you can; I'll only be wearing it for a week. :)

I think a blind tasting would be kinda useless for me. If I've had it I am very likely to remember it. And sometimes some things can be explained by different batches. For example, I really hated the first run of Lucid, but a bottle I got a year ago was very different and, though not a great absinthe, drinkable by my standards. I still had enough left of my sample of the first batch to compare to.

My stupid facebutt page.

#70 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

If I've had it I am very likely to remember it.

Famous last words. ;)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#71 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

I think maybe he's asking why Lance chose to go that route. I'll answer by saying that Lance marches to the beat of his own drum. He doesn't care about tradition in that sense. He prefers to be 'revolutionary'.

Yes, indeed.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#72 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

If I've had it I am very likely to remember it.

Famous last words. ;)

Indeed!™ I thought my bottle of Absinthe Duplais was sharp, harsh and remarkably unintegrated. (FWIW, I do like other Matter offerings.) At the blind tasting I scored it higher than other absinthes I like more. Could be any number of reasons this occurred, but I know that it wasn't a bad bottle due to others enjoying samples of it I traded away.

The focus of the OC tasting was to rate them as absinthes, not necessarily as which we liked better. It was useful to not try and guess which one it was, and just rate what was in front of me.

All of this is anecdotal, of course, but fascinating and unsettling both!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#73 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

enless the people tasting never tasted it before. It is very distinguishable.

Some of the people that I've done blind tastings with are extremely well versed in tastings, including people from this forum, the FV and TARN.

Try doing a formal blind tasting. You'll be surprised at how much your mind tells you what to taste. When you don't know what you're drinking, it changes the game. Many people find themselves second-guessing everything.

That's why blind tastings turn into guessing games: "If I can just guess which brand I'm drinking, I'll know how I should score it." It saves the embarrassment of giving high scores to something you "should" hate, or low scores to something everyone loves.

Unfortunately it's still true in the core absinthe community that the popularity of a brand depends on who made it and what other people say about it more than the merits of the product itself.

But lets not forget that nowhere on the bottle does it say "absinthe traditional" so they are not lying about what it is. So until the laws change on what an absinthe is you can not say it is not absinthe...

There are no such laws. In the US there is no standard of identity for absinthe. One could literally label purple vodka as "absinthe" and that's why every absinthe product sold here also has a "truthful and adequate statement of composition" following the brand and/or "fanciful" name:

Class and type. (a) Designation of product. The class and type of distilled spirits shall be stated in conformity with §5.22 if defined therein. In all other instances the product shall be designated in accordance with trade and consumer understanding thereof, or, if no such understanding exists, by a distinctive or fanciful name, and in either case (except as provided in paragraph ( b ) (2) of this section) followed by a truthful and adequate statement of composition.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#74 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

And that's why the WS's mission is so critical at this juncture. Educating the public so they don't pick up that purple vodka is a huge deal.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#75 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

And think about those who went shopping for purple vodka and didn't think to look in the absinthe section.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#76 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

HA! Good point. And what about all the folks looking for alcoholic mouthwash?
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#77 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

:laf: Mouthwash! "What were you expecting? Some kind of fairy?" :laf: hope im not being too obvious. I really hate trash talking. LTV = mouthwash! oops :tongue:
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#78 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Damn right, oops!

Don't insult mouthwash that way. ;)

Over the years, many people have compared minty fresh Scope to Hills, but mainly, they were referring to the color. The taste of Scope is much more pleasant. I'd say it also edges out LTV .

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#79 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Fair enough, it does respect for all the hard work it does killing 99.9 percent of microorganisms that cause gingavitis, and its wonderfully great taste that should never be compared to LTV.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association