Wild Bill Turkey

Bleak Tidings

That's shocking to me.

It's shocking to everyone until they've participated in a formal blind tasting. ;)

All this is doing is making me question the usefulness of blind tastings.

Blind tastings are extremely useful. It really helps to show people that personal biases (including what you expect to taste) play a huge part in the enjoyment of any beverage.

If used properly, it can teach people to set aside such biases in order to do formal reviews.

The first few times I did them, it was an extremely humbling experience...

I'd say, there is tremendous truth in all of the above.

I've seen people who think they're elite and cool talk shit about absinthes to look elite and cool. That's different.

I don't know if people's tastes are being influenced by conventional wisdom.

I will say that I have had difficulty tasting something until someone has brought it to my attention, but that's different. I couldn't actually taste wormwood in absinthe until I knew how it smelled and tasted. It wasn't even a "I don't know what this is" thing, but a complete absence of the experience of it.

Tons of star anise and very little wormwood will do that. ;)

Why is that? Has anybody asked him directly? The man must have some distilling ability after all, it seems that a little bit of candid but respectful conversation by somebody who knows more than I do about distilling might yield tremendous dividends for those of us currently engaged in this little controversy.

Wait, are you asking why tons of star anise (in the place of green anise) and little wormwood will make an absinthe taste like it's missing something? Isn't it obvious?

I think maybe he's asking why Lance chose to go that route. I'll answer by saying that Lance marches to the beat of his own drum. He doesn't care about tradition in that sense. He prefers to be 'revolutionary'.

I don't know if people's tastes are being influenced by conventional wisdom.

Come to the next tasting event. Heck, stop by my house if you're ever on the way through the area. I'll hold an impromptu one for you.

Doing one this weekend for a few friends as well.

Thanks, enjoy it while you can; I'll only be wearing it for a week. :)

I think a blind tasting would be kinda useless for me. If I've had it I am very likely to remember it. And sometimes some things can be explained by different batches. For example, I really hated the first run of Lucid, but a bottle I got a year ago was very different and, though not a great absinthe, drinkable by my standards. I still had enough left of my sample of the first batch to compare to.

I think maybe he's asking why Lance chose to go that route. I'll answer by saying that Lance marches to the beat of his own drum. He doesn't care about tradition in that sense. He prefers to be 'revolutionary'.

Yes, indeed.

If I've had it I am very likely to remember it.

Famous last words. ;)

Indeed!™ I thought my bottle of Absinthe Duplais was sharp, harsh and remarkably unintegrated. (FWIW, I do like other Matter offerings.) At the blind tasting I scored it higher than other absinthes I like more. Could be any number of reasons this occurred, but I know that it wasn't a bad bottle due to others enjoying samples of it I traded away.

The focus of the OC tasting was to rate them as absinthes, not necessarily as which we liked better. It was useful to not try and guess which one it was, and just rate what was in front of me.

All of this is anecdotal, of course, but fascinating and unsettling both!

enless the people tasting never tasted it before. It is very distinguishable.

Some of the people that I've done blind tastings with are extremely well versed in tastings, including people from this forum, the FV and TARN.

Try doing a formal blind tasting. You'll be surprised at how much your mind tells you what to taste. When you don't know what you're drinking, it changes the game. Many people find themselves second-guessing everything.

That's why blind tastings turn into guessing games: "If I can just guess which brand I'm drinking, I'll know how I should score it." It saves the embarrassment of giving high scores to something you "should" hate, or low scores to something everyone loves.

Unfortunately it's still true in the core absinthe community that the popularity of a brand depends on who made it and what other people say about it more than the merits of the product itself.

But lets not forget that nowhere on the bottle does it say "absinthe traditional" so they are not lying about what it is. So until the laws change on what an absinthe is you can not say it is not absinthe...

There are no such laws. In the US there is no standard of identity for absinthe. One could literally label purple vodka as "absinthe" and that's why every absinthe product sold here also has a "truthful and adequate statement of composition" following the brand and/or "fanciful" name:

Class and type. (a) Designation of product. The class and type of distilled spirits shall be stated in conformity with §5.22 if defined therein. In all other instances the product shall be designated in accordance with trade and consumer understanding thereof, or, if no such understanding exists, by a distinctive or fanciful name, and in either case (except as provided in paragraph ( b ) (2) of this section) followed by a truthful and adequate statement of composition.

Damn right, oops!

Don't insult mouthwash that way. ;)

Over the years, many people have compared minty fresh Scope to Hills, but mainly, they were referring to the color. The taste of Scope is much more pleasant. I'd say it also edges out LTV .

Fair enough, it does respect for all the hard work it does killing 99.9 percent of microorganisms that cause gingavitis, and its wonderfully great taste that should never be compared to LTV.