Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

There's nothing wrong with Argento. I have been a horror buff for years and saw Hellraiser when it came out at the theaters. Even if it was only like three of them! I have the whole collection. It looks like time to do some research. I'm glad you brought this film up.

I just saw this movie again, Vincent & Theo, by Robert Altman (1990) on the tragic life of Vincent Van Gogh. What's special about this movie is that it also puts a perspective on his relation to his brother Theo, and tells us about Theo's life and how he feels towards his brother. An underestimated masterpiece if you ask me.

There are two scenes where there's some liquid in the actors' glasses that can only be... Well you know what. The color in these pictures I took is a bit faded, but the original color is a bit greener:

vincentheo1.jpg

vincentheo2.jpg

It's been years since I've seen this one , but I remember that some of the cinematography really put me into Vincents head and made me see the paintings the way I think he did. I've been saying for a while that I need to see this again! Where's that Netflix offer?

Thanks for the pix Mr. Absinthia! I'd missed this one somehow, but now I'm gonna track it down. I'm a big Tim Roth fan to boot, so this should be a treat.

As for the Hellraiser connection, I rewatched that scene and I have my doubts. The glass looks more like it has a very green tea in it. And people do put sugar cubes in their tea... It would be cooler if the old Asian dude was drinking absinthe, but unless Clive Barker chimes in I'll remain skeptical.

Return of the Jedi

jabba_the_hutt_thumb.jpg

Alright this probably belongs in the hookah thread, but could of fooled me last night while falling asleep.

:laf:

Good one, man.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've toyed with the thought of collecting every absinthe scene I can get my hands on (possibly doing an anthology at some point).

We all know the current Unholy Trinity (sorry Mrs. Hiram, nothing personal):

Moulin Rouge

Bram Stoker's Dracula (misnomer; should be Francis Coppola's Dracula)

From Hell

There's also:

Deceiver

Eurotrip

The Perfect Drug video from NIN.

Total Eclipse

Pretty Baby

Salome's Last Dance

Wilde (about Oscar)

and apparently a W.C. Fields movie, but I don't know which.

Any others you guys can come up with?

What about "Absinthe of Malice"? Oh man, I'm sorry about that....ouch.

Fitzcarraldo.

About 22 minutes into the movie at the poker table.

img1433dn.jpg

Looks like a vintage, yellowish tint, hint of green. Can’t ID the glass but looks like a Cordon, East glass, or even an Egg glass since the etchings are rather different. When he drinks from it, it gives more of a green hue. What do you think?

That's a damn fine film and it's about time I saw it again.

Snows of Kilimanjaro, with Gregory Peck. There's a scene when he's in a cafe in France and drinking out of a glass similar to what wikipedia calls a "wheat beer" glass, and Joe said the internet is always right. Looks like a decent louche too, but I don't know anything about color in 1952 films.

So, I'm watching The Sun Also Rises, and there's Tyrone Power sitting with a French damsel in a Parisian cafe, and sipping a louched glass of absinthe. In the middle of a conversation they get up and leave, Tyrone abandoning his barely touched glass. "What the fuck is wrong with you!", I grumble at the unresponsive idiot box, "That's a perfectly wonderful glass of pre-ban you're walking away from!"

Of course, then I remembered that this was filmed in 1957, and it was almost certainly a mediocre glass of pastis, so I decided to forgive him. :)

I'm still angry. If he wasn't going to drink it, he shouldn't have had it poured. This way the bottle could have remained sealed and potentially reached my lips at some point in time. D-nozzle.

The 2009 Dorian Gray features a nice looking verte being louched, with sugar, during the scene where Basil is painting Dorian.

Well, the fella who consulted for the film on all matters related to historical absinthe drinking loaned them the glass from his personal collection. Then I mugged him last month.