Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

Yes. That's another of Oxy's sites. Kirk definitely does amazing work. I've purchased several of his products before. The new Frénay Feuille is awesome. But I find it hard to justify buying spoons other than antiques, since I don't use sugar anymore.

Don't need it. Many of us who've been drinking absinthe for a long time no longer use sugar. It truly depends on the tastes of the consumer. I find it too cloying anymore.

I still get quite good louches, as you can see from the pics I've posted in the past and on my flikr account. That has more to do with the temperature of the water, and the speed of the drip.

DarkAbsinthe asked: Anyone have this (authentic)films??

A number of us have bought the DVD of early films. There's no question of their authenticity (I'm not sure if that's what you meant), and I for one can vouch for their quality.

If you are an avid fan of the history of absinthe you owe it to yourself to buy a copy. It is fascinating viewing and a real treat. Sure, they're all anti-absinthe, but history has shown the drink wins in the end, right?

Why do you not use sugar? :shock:

It adds texture, but I never noticed an improvement in the louche, and it steps all over the more subtle flavors of an absinthe.

Why do you not use sugar? :shock:

Admittedly, it adds texture, but I never noticed an improvement in the louche, and it tends to step all over the more subtle flavors of an absinthe.

Not to rehash old arguments but it's all a matter of personal taste. I think the sugar opens up the herbal profile. Some disagree. For them, they are right. For me, I am absolutely right. :tongue:

I was the same way... I had to sugar my absinthe in the beginning, but I can't stand it now.

Eh, to each their own.

I would not like it, that misunderstand.

Not to borrow, or I wanted to copy the films, the concerned one, worthy one to be extremely fond?

Really from contemporary films there is a word? :unsure:

Gettin' right on that, Bill...

I have to maintain my girlish figure.

I thought you said you always let them make their escape...unless you're saving this one for your new starring character in Saw VI.

And, could you make sure they include a little absinthe drinking in that one, Mr. Lanfray? :devil:

I would not like it, that misunderstand.

DarkAbsinthe, I really appreciate your diligence and struggle with the language. :cheers:

I must say, converting your Wilde sig line to your language and then back to English makes it the most interesting poetry.

"You regard the things as like that after the first glass, the kind,

You regard them as the kind after the second glass,

You regard them as like that after the third glass, the kind effectively,

And this most terrible thing on the world..."

Right on. :wave2:

In the episode "For Evil's Sake", Duncan purchases a bottle of "clandestine" absinthe (which appeared to be a pre-louched sickly, milky green), and later both he, and his immortal adversary partake of it.

What's interesting here, is that this episode dated from 1992, and there was no flaming involved, since Uncle Radomil hadn't yet perpetrated the time-honored legend of the the traditional Czech way to enjoy absinthe, which as we all know dates back to immediate post-WW1. :rolleyes:

You can go here to see the screengrabs I posted from this episode in the "Absinthe in Film" thread this past April.

This was my first exposure to Absinthe back in High School. Technically I might have already seen Dracula at that point, but this episode made a greater impression on me (as far as absinthe goes anyway). :pirate:

Same year as Bram Stoker's Dracula, with it's accurate absinthe scene—except for the upside-down spoon.

edit: Retro posted while I was looking for screen-grabs of the spoon.

edit 2: merged with previous Absinthe in Films topic.

In the episode "For Evil's Sake", Duncan purchases a bottle of "clandestine" absinthe (which appeared to be a pre-louched sickly, milky green), and later both he, and his immortal adversary partake of it.

Er, I also saw that rerun. Such compelling writing! I thought it was hilarious it came "pre-louched"!

But I only saw the bad guy (best assassin evar!) buy it, cos I tuned in later on.

Same year as Bram Stoker's Dracula, with it's accurate absinthe scene—except for the upside-down spoon.

But only upside down in one of the two shots! In the wide shot with the two actors, the spoon is correct, but in the closeup shot of the dripping water it is upside down. My guess is that Francis Ford Coppola knew what he was doing, and whoever was shooting second unit (i.e. closeups etc.) didn't.

I saw Benjamin Button as well, and nudged my wife every time they drank Sazeracs. Given the timeframe they would probably have been made with Herbsaint instead of absinthe, but it's all good!

I don't consider this a good movie by any stretch, but in the opening scene of the first Hellraiser movie there is a glass of a green liquid. It's not any kind of glass one would normally use to drink absinthe. There is no dripping of water. The person drinking it, though, drops a sugar cube in it. Given that there wasn't a lot of information about absinthe going around in the 80s, I've always wondered if that drink was meant to be absinthe.

Also, the band Coil was friends with Clive Barker and recorded a soundtrack for the film which he didn't use. The two main members of Coil were Jhonn Balance (Duplais Balance was named after him), and Peter Christopherson (who designed the Duplais Balance label). I have no idea if any of them knew or cared about absinthe back then, but it still makes me wonder.

I just saw that that show Carnivale has an Episode called 'Alamogordo NM.' Considering it's where I lived for 4 years I think I need to check this show out :)

I don't consider this a good movie by any stretch, but in the opening scene of the first Hellraiser movie there is a glass of a green liquid. It's not any kind of glass one would normally use to drink absinthe. There is no dripping of water. The person drinking it, though, drops a sugar cube in it.

I love the cult horrors and b horrors. The Hellraiser series is one of my favorites. I'm surprised that I never noticed the glasses in the beginning. I'm watching it now. Interesting!

Film geek that I am (my dvd collection is alphabetized by director), I watched it with the commentary, but there was no mention of it at all. I was kind of disappointed that the situation with Coil's soundtrack wasn't brought up.

I just watched the second one for the first time a few days ago. To be honest, I never really gave the horror films from the 80s much of a chance (I'm more into stuff like early Argento), so I'm just now catching up.