• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#61 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:16 PM

And yes, Shai, my wife showed me that scene. If'en it's the "bad" guy's drink of choice, I wonder who was the source of inspiration for adding that scene.
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#62 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:41 AM

Manon of the Spring has an absinthe scene in the film, plus you can drool over Emmanuelle Beart

Attached Files

At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#63 The Green Spirit

The Green Spirit

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:31 AM

Arrhh shite! That movie was on last night and I missed it. <_<

#64 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

For those of you who don't blow an extra $12 for HBO, I just learned today that the first season of Carnaval is out on DVD.

The screen shots you see higher up on this thread are from the first episode, which would be on disk 1. The 2nd episode, also on disk 1, has a decent shot of Lodz pouring warter over a quickly disolving sugar cube into the louche below (a saw a few bubbles on the louche, so I don;t think it is real absinthe).

The remaining episodes don't more than a few fleeting glimpses of absinthe, but if disk 1 grabs you, you'll want to see the rest.
If it's legal is it as fun?

#65 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:09 AM

I was dissappointed in Total Eclipse in general.  I found the Absinthe imbibing to be frequent but incidental and not treated with much respect or interest. 

As far as I remember it, they pour water over the sugar cube really fast, so that the sugar doesn't dissolve at all.

I also think that in the scene in the beginning, where the old Verlaine has an absinthe in a caf, there's a fountain on the bar - but he is still pouring water from a carafe.
+

#66 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:57 PM

On the season premeir of Carnaval, one of the characters asks about the whereabouts of the absinthe-imbibing Lodz, and is told:

He's probably sleeping off a bellyful of that frogger juice in some gutter somewhere.

Now now, at least 3 of 4 absinthe drinking sessions DO result in passing out in a gutter. :harhar:

Edited by MrGreenGenes, 10 January 2005 - 12:58 PM.

#67 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:51 PM

I have since become a big fan of Carnivale. The missus and I are almost done with the first season (DVD). Lodz rocks.

In other news, there has been talk in the past about the absinthe bottle used in From Hell. I saw a pic posted the other day and it occurred to me why it looked so familiar, yet not. The label is one that's been kicking around for a while, but with the colors inverted in Photoshop. It's the same one used for Lodz's absinthe in Carnivále.

The bottle looks authentic, but I can't quite make out the seal on it. It looks close to the Pernod Fils seal - maybe, but maybe not quite. Anyone recognize it?

Attached File  from_hell_bottle.jpg   37.58KB   135 downloads

Attached File  from_hell_bottle2.jpg   27.8KB   115 downloads

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#68 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:14 PM

I knew you'd really like it, Hiram.

We're coming up on 3rd episode of season 2 on HBO. They're revealed a little more about the relationship between the carnies and Brother Justin, though they still haven't met (at least on the physical plain).

#69 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:19 PM

I hadn't counted on the word filter having unwanted effects. ;)

I inadvertantly saw last week's episode (with the tattoo) while at a friend's house. I tried not to watch.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#70 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:52 PM

I'm not interesting in buying or renting the whole set because I've seen all the episodes, but I would like to see the documentary. Which disk is it on?

Also, which episodes have commentaries? Any mention of absinthe in the commentary or the documentary?

#71 Conju

Conju

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:20 PM

I have since become a big fan of Carnivale.  The missus and I are almost done with the first season (DVD).  Lodz rocks.

In other news, there has been talk in the past about the absinthe bottle used in From Hell.  I saw a pic posted the other day and it occurred to me why it looked so familiar, yet not.  The label is one that's been kicking around for a while, but with the colors inverted in Photoshop.

The bottle looks authentic, but I can't quite make out the seal on it.  It looks close to the Pernod Fils seal - maybe, but maybe not quite.  Anyone recognize it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They actually did get an authentic pernod bottle for that shot. Wether or not it was filled with real pernod is beyond me. If I had a guess, I would say no.
It works! It works! I don't exist!

#72 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:56 PM

Not if it was that green.

I'm not convinced it is a Pernod bottle. The seal in the upper right is not from the movie; it's from a vintage bottle.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#73 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:45 PM

I think y'all spendin' way too much time worrying about this.

#74 Jack B

Jack B

• Canned
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

Yeah. It's a modern Oxygenee bottle with Oxygenee and a bit of Gertz essence added to make it greener...

#75 Auguru

Auguru

Naught the One...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

The chuckle I get out of the ongoing absinthe sighting in Carnivale (I'm a big fan), is that the bottle has been sitting in basically the same spot since it first showed up in the first or second episode. Especially now that Lodz is out of the way (at least in a physical sense), how the heck is that bottle sitting still in his trailer as the Carnivale crew roam the desert southwest? Plus, where in the world does/did Lodz get his ice water? From the look of things, everything is room temperature and probably about 95% dust... Still a newb, but should the absinthe form the louche if the water is tepid?
"If I can't drink, I don't want to be in your revolution ..."
-- Emma Goldman

"Beneath the stars there are the bars that serve the bitter drink..."
-- Be Bop Deluxe ("Life in the Air Age" from the "Sunburst Finish" album)

#76 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

I would have to say it depends upon the Absinthe.

#77 Conju

Conju

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

95% of them will louche with lukewarm water.

Why you would want to do that is beyond me.... :blink:
It works! It works! I don't exist!

#78 volpane

volpane

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

Definately a stretch but on a recent viewing of the old BBCs series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" I was amused to see in the Restaurant scene Trillium is drinking a decidedly green drink. Probably not absinthe, unless it was Hill's...perhaps it was absinth or just apple schnapps maybe...

#79 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:46 PM

The chuckle I get out of the ongoing absinthe sighting in Carnivale (I'm a big fan), is that the bottle has been sitting in basically the same spot since it first showed up in the first or second episode.  Especially now that Lodz is out of the way (at least in a physical sense), how the heck is that bottle sitting still in his trailer as the Carnivale crew roam the desert southwest?  Plus, where in the world does/did Lodz get his ice water?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering the same thing. Has the Canaval actually moved since the Professor's departure?

My wife thinks Lodz's bearded girlfriend may have put his absinthe set out in anticipation of his return.

#80 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

NO SPOILERS!!!
We haven't seen any of the second season yet.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#81 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

Quit reading this thread then!

#82 Jack B

Jack B

• Canned
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:10 PM

Good idea! :hyper:

#83 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

See, sometimes...

#84 Auguru

Auguru

Naught the One...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

If you've seen the first season through to the end and seen the teaser for the second season, then no spoilers in the thread so far.

As for the absinthe staying put, I like the idea about the bearded lady, she is surely devoted to ol' Lodz. The other option is that Lodz and Apollonia just ain't (sic) quite gone yet. (Sheesh, getting closer to spoiler territory).

Back to the lukewarm absinthe... When Lodz pours the water over the sugar cube, it sure dissolved fast. When I tried it the first time (newb alert), it hardly dissolved at all. In fact, I had to add a little finger pressure. I was beginning to think of that spoon as a "sugar grater." Anyway, how fast/easy should the sugar dissolve? I mean, most everyone does use ice water, so I expect it to be slow. Isn't that why the ice water is supposed to be delivered as a slow stream, if not a drip? Maybe I just got the cement-quality sugar cubes?
"If I can't drink, I don't want to be in your revolution ..."
-- Emma Goldman

"Beneath the stars there are the bars that serve the bitter drink..."
-- Be Bop Deluxe ("Life in the Air Age" from the "Sunburst Finish" album)

#85 AndrewT

AndrewT

Dances With Livers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

My sugar cubes usually dissolve fairly quickly. If for whatever reasons it's not dissolving fast enough, you can let it sit for a few seconds after wetting it. When you go to add more water it should crumble away.
-Andrew Thompson

#86 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

Enjoy the ritual with a deep exhalation between each drip. If it feels as though the process is taking much too long... imagine mountains wasting away under the influence of mother nature.

Keep that elbow high.
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#87 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

Lodz's sugar cube did disolve unnaturally fast. There are also some small bubbles in his glass. I've never seen bubbles in real absinthe, even in the cheap or swill brands.

My conclusion is that the sugar & absinthe used in the filming were not real. Having the camara on a realistic drip long enough for the non-absinthe knowlegable audience to realize what was happening would just take too long.

#88 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

I wasn't saying there had been spoilers, but I sensed a move in that direction.

I noticed in one episode that he's pouring from a bottle with a "real" Duval label. That was a step up from the Pier 1 Imports vinegar bottle with the Absinthe Suisse/From Hell label on it.

I noticed the fast sugar melt, too.

Posted Image

www.absinthemarteau.com

#89 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

I think my earlier question was lost in a flood of other posts:

I've seen the first season on TV, but I want to see the documentary and other special features on the DVDs. Which disks shoud I rent?

Do you know if absinthe is discussed in the documentary or an audio commentary track?

#90 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

I could have sworn I answered that. There are no special features on the discs we rented. The very short and disappointing documentary is on disc six. No mention of absinthe that caught my attention. As deep and interesting as Carnivale is, I would have expected more.

www.absinthemarteau.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association