Absinthe in Films

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#31 Conju

Conju

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:48 PM

Oh, and that August and Strindberg short.
It works! It works! I don't exist!

#32 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:50 PM

The CSI thing had my mother up my backside.
"How come you drink that Absinthe stuff?
Don't you know how poisonous it is? It's killing people!"

#33 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:52 AM

An interesting absinthe segment is in The Affairs of Anatol, circa 1921.

There is a hand colored absinthe segement, (I'll have to dig up the frame grabs) that shows a 1921 Gothic inspired absinthe set up.

Also there are several silent and sound versions of the film Madame X, which absinthe figures in the plot.

I know of a Max Linder silent film from France, and I caught an old Joel McRae film (the title escapes me)......(1930's or 1940's) that I believe was set in S.F. where his character was having a glass in an elaborate S.F. Saloon.

The Bank Dick was an old lobby card that was my first Photoshop attempt, I've got the original around somewhere.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#34 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

From The Affairs of Anatol, Madame Satan Synne's Absinthe den.

Attached Files

At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.

#35 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:22 PM

The putting the sugar cubes on the spoons

Attached Files

#36 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:25 PM

Hanging the bottle of Pernod.

Attached Files

#37 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

The absinthe set.

Attached Files

#38 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Smoking purple cigarettes & drinking absinthe, perfect 1920's decadence.

Attached Files

#39 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:31 PM

The fate that awaits all absinthe drinkers.

Attached Files

#40 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:35 PM

Pernod label. "The Devils Sleeping Potion".

Attached Files

#41 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for posting these! Do you own that movie? Is it on DVD?
I see absinthe sensationalism wasn't any more well-informed in the'20s.
Hanging the bottle? What is that, a hanging wine decanter?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#42 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I have the DVD......It's available as far as I know.

Being a DeMille film, I'm sure he used real Pernod during the shooting.

I just wish I could see what pattern the absinthe spoons were.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011909/

#43 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:07 PM

I would expect that a water bottle might be suspended upside down. That would actually be pretty cool, if less practical than a regular fountain.
If it's legal is it as fun?

#44 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

Thanks greenimp!

Just added The Affairs of Anatol to my Netflix list.
I'm gonna meet pierreverte!

#45 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:47 AM

I would expect that a water bottle might be suspended upside down.  That would actually be pretty cool, if less practical than a regular fountain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We were just watching Withnail and I last night and there's a scene in a northern England country pub where the liquor bottles are suspended from a rack of some sort, but are fitted with spigots for dispensing booze. I wonder if they can be had?

www.absinthemarteau.com

#46 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:49 AM

I've seen them on ebay (Like everything else)..........I remember seeing some for the modern Pernod.

#47 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:30 PM

Here's a film/TV absinthe sighting I wasn't expecting:

A Very Merry Muppet Christmas

Kermit and Miss Piggy return for a new (or at least recent) holiday special.

Among the many movie and pop-culture references is a 5-minute parody of the film Moulin Rogue, during which Kermit is served a green beer-style mug. "Let me drink some of this strange green root beer!" Kermit says. As he takes a sip, the green mug lightes up and a little green muppet fairy rises out of it. "Look, it's the green fairy!" I'll add an extra point for no flames.

My wife, who grew up watching the Muppet Show in the late 1970s, had been trying to explain to me that the muppets weren't just for kids, as they did a lot of humor for the grown-ups that went over the little ones' heads. I had to admit she was right.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Now I'll pour a Jade and enjoy the Seinfeld special tonight.

Edited by MrGreenGenes, 25 November 2004 - 08:32 PM.

#48 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

I saw that; I just stood there with my mouth open. I almost posted about it here, but we were deep in T-day cooking mode. I think they used Mari Mayans.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#49 verbal_kraze

verbal_kraze

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:04 PM

From the Anatol pics, it looks like there is already chilled water in the glass, and they are slowly dripping the absinthe into the water. I guess that works. I have had to do something like that before when I snuck some into a bar, and could only get a glass of water.
-"My story: I was cutting through Ringer Park in Allston, a bunch of punks were having a party with a bonfire and my Absinthe buzz was just starting to kick in. So I mingled, then ever so slightly everyone started morphing into native americans (I mean Injins). I had this feeling we were on an ancient sacred Indian site and they were invading our souls (but in a friendly way). This was the only time I ever hallucinated on the stuff, it was fun and scary. "

#50 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:22 PM

I thought the reason for doing the water drip is because sugar doesn't disolve well into a high alcohol solution. If that's true, then driping straight absinthe onto a sugar cube wouldn't work at all.

#51 The Green Spirit

The Green Spirit

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:08 AM

Bonjour!

I found some pictures from the mentioned absinthe scene in Carnivále - I hope they'll broadcast that show on danish television soon, looks ripping.

Attached Files

Edited by Hiram, 30 September 2005 - 10:53 AM.

#52 The Green Spirit

The Green Spirit

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:10 AM

The label looks like something out of a home printer, but what the hell, atleast they didn't burn it.

Attached Files

#53 The Green Spirit

The Green Spirit

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:11 AM

Attached Files

#54 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:26 AM

BTW, the first two episodes, from which the above images came from, are scheduled to be rerun on HBO in the USA Dec. 5 through 7.

They're worth a second look, and I'll pour a Jade myself and celebrade a toast with Lodz (the character pictured above).

#55 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:49 AM

Those shots are great; thanks for posting them! It looks like they're using real absinthe, too. Shame about the cheesy bottle though. Thank god they didn't burn it!

www.absinthemarteau.com

#56 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:37 AM

I thought the reason for doing the water drip is because sugar doesn't disolve well into a high alcohol solution. If that's true, then driping straight absinthe onto a sugar cube wouldn't work at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe not, but then while you waste time considering this those delicious natural oils that we love oh-so-dearly will not come out of suspension by themselves. The sugar that gets knocked off the cube would be enough for me anyhow. (By the way, I found out just how the durability of those essential oils is greatly compromised when kept below a 40% vol. (alcohol) - if you're doubtful, you too can try an aged sample of Pernod Light...bleh.)
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#57 Conju

Conju

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:49 PM

Those shots are great; thanks for posting them!  It looks like they're using real absinthe, too.  Shame about the cheesy bottle though.  Thank god they didn't burn it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's to be expected though. They wanted focus on the absinthe. So they made sure everyone knew exactly what he was drinking. Hence the 72 point font on the bottle. Why they used a cheap clear glass replica for the bottle however, is beyond me. Maybe it was just to compliment the antiquated effect they were shooting for.
It works! It works! I don't exist!

#58 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

Absinthe in fims is a good discussion topic as it was the way I was introduced to it as I am sure were many of you. I remember most vividly the Dracula, Moulin Rouge (did you know that Ozzy Osbourne was the voice of the Kyle Minouge (I can't spell for crap) green fairy?) and the From Hell depictions already mentioned. BTW there is a little mini documentary on the bonus materials disk of From Hell called "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder." I found it interesting but only from a newbie perspective.

I was dissappointed in Total Eclipse in general. I found the Absinthe imbibing to be frequent but incidental and not treated with much respect or interest. I was expecting more beauty from the film in general and found that many of the film's issues were not justified within the film itsself. I do not generally need everything spelled out for me but I wanted to know more about why people felt so strongly about certain things and what motivated them to make the remarkable decisions they made. Oh well, I guess that is the psychologist in me. I also thought LDC was a horrible actor in the film. My wife, of course, dissagrees.

The soundtract from Total Eclipse, on the other hand, is fantastic and makes for great background music to experience Absinthe to. Also, may I suggest taking a look at What Dreams May Come the next time the green fairy visits. There is no Absinthe in the film but parts of it sure are beautiful to look at.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#59 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

Could that be a tray of well louched absinthe I saw them serving in "Cold Mountain?" It was was set in the late 1800's. It was probably lemonade in weird lighting.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#60 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:11 PM

"Yes... Definitely. YOu have such keen eyesight. I reccommend watching Dodgeball. There is a scene in that movie. That is CRAZY! THey are louching some Jade. It's sooo cooool. Absinthe is making it's ways to America finally! I can't wait for the day it's legal. I LOVE ABSINTHE. It's my homie in a bottle. Me, being a minority (a mexican) it's hard to find the funds for absinthe. This Absinthe community has accepted me as thier own. With open rectums. I'd loved to give a shout out to you guys.
You guys are so great."
McAbsinthe decided to hop on and add this in my stead, while I was away from my computer... he didn't have the guts to add the reply, but I liked it. So there.
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association