Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

In the 1975 film Legend of the Werewolf, a movie set in France, Peter Cushing's character orders Pernod. Another character remarks that a police surgeon could afford Pernod, and two straight, cylindrical glass tumblers are brought out by the waiter. The waiter pours about an ounce into each tumbler, which is a dark brown color, and Peter Cushing's character and the other character add about an ounce of water from a carafe. It louches, but looks more like a pastis than absinthe. The character Peter is interviewing makes several facial expressions that the Pernod is not a pleasant drink to ingest.

Just watched a movie on Turner Classic Movies called 'French Cancan' by Jean Renoir with Jean Gabin and a cameo by Edith Piaf. Gabin was sitting outside a bistro and a waiter brings a small tray with a glass of absinthe topped by a spoon and large cube of sugar. Gabin pours water over the sugar out of a carafe and the waiter says: 'don't drown your absinthe.' The absinthe was quite yellow - but you probably can't trust old color films, and was completely louched rather quickly - at less than 1:1 He kept adding water. It probably ended up between 1:1 and 2:2 water to absinthe and looked pretty tasty. My mouth began to water. I think I'll pour myself one..

Bump: Four years later but kudos to everyone on this thread talking about Carnivale, I've watched season 1 now and I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm loving it, so different to other television series.  No doubt there is a maybe a heap of newer stuff emerged in the last four years that could be discussed.