Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

Just watched 'Americano', starring Joshua Jackson, and a gorgeous Spanish actress, Leonor Varela...

It's basically a romantic drama, but I was waiting for the obligatory absenta scene, and sure enough, there it was... The two leads are sitting in a bar in Pamplona, after Jackson, et al participate in the running of the bulls, and they celebrate with "un absenta, por favor"...the stuff is a beauteous green, and I was waiting for the louching scene...but nooooo...horror of horrors, out comes the absinthe spoon topped with the absenta drenched sugar cube, which is then lit, and over which the absenta is poured directly, with no water added, hence no louche at all! What a waste, given absenta's traditional propensity to louche like one badass muthafuckah...not to mention the totally unwanted Czech ritual, which in this movie is even more out of place than usual.

Bottom line...the flick was very watchable, but the absenta scene blew egregious green chunks. :thumbdown:

No absinthe in the film but I want
And I want to sit on my deck, have a glass of absinthe and laugh at squirrels. :dev-cheers:

I MUST have this! It'll drive my animals NUTS! :laf:

You know, I never thought of Arizona not having squirrels but come to think of it, sure makes sense as to why, right?

Damn. He ain't even here to defend himself but I like the way you think. ;)

I used to drink this 11% abv Belgian pumpkin ale that had a similar effect on me, until I learned to stay away from trees while enjoying it. :twitchsmile:

Someone mentioned Louise Brooks. What a stunning woman. She worked in films in the 1920's and 1930's, but her looks and style are remarkably contemporary.

For the Louise Brooks fans, see the following link to a Wired online article about Amy Crehore's nod to Louise in one of her paintings... If she only used a "flying monkey" motif, the circle would tighten considerably.

Louise Brooks inspired painting by Amy Crehore

Absinthe is featured in the film "The Rules of Attraction."

They do a quick run through of this guys trip to Europe,

he states while in Amsterdamn "I drank absinthe in a bar called Absinthe."

meanwhile, they show a bottle of KING OF SPIRITS

=(

Manon of the Spring has an absinthe scene in the film, plus you can drool over Emmanuelle Beart

She mm-mm-nummy.

We just watched this yesterday, preceded by Jean de Florette. Both have very authentic absinthe scenes and are really great movies. And yes, Emmanuelle Beart (Manon) is a beautiful girl.......worthy of drooling. :dribble:

Highly recommend both movies (they are actually meant to be seen together, Jean... first)!

Manon of the Spring has an absinthe scene in the film, plus you can drool over Emmanuelle Beart

She mm-mm-nummy.

We just watched this yesterday, preceded by Jean de Florette. Both have very authentic absinthe scenes and are really great movies. And yes, Emmanuelle Beart (Manon) is a beautiful girl.......worthy of drooling. :dribble:

Highly recommend both movies (they are actually meant to be seen together, Jean... first)!

It's not an absinthe scene, at least not in "Manon des sources". Jean de Florette plays at the beginning of the 20th century, so that could very well be an absinthe scene there (I've gotta watch that one again), but Manon is the _grandchild_ of Le Papet, they call the drink simply "Pernod" (ambivalent) and the drink clearly looks like modern Pernod, they also talk about Pastis. (All of this in the French original, I have no idea whether they correctly translated it.)

But I agree: Who cares, Emanuelle Béart... :heart:

Edited by fryke

I am just downloading both, so in which shall I pay attention to an absinthe scene, and where to Pernod anis?

Manon de sources - Pernod, or pastis

Jean de Florette - extrait

That way? Does it mean that JdF is the first part and MdS - second?

In Jean de Florette, it seems to be absinthe, although they probably used Ricard for the film from the look of it. ;) It's about 18-19 minutes into the film...

But I guess I was wrong about the time apart between the films. Hadn't seen JdF for a long time. I guess it only played about 10 years before Manon. Hm. Now I definitely have to watch both again in the right order. ;)

Edited by fryke

Hm. Later in JdF, I very clearly see a Pernod Fils Pastis bottle (with the big red Pernod type above the label) along with Pastis glasses (I have a couple of those with Pernod's logo).

post-1473-1189953360.jpg

Edited by fryke

I have 89% of JdF downloaded, so soon start watching and picking out what in reality they were sipping. Anyway, thanks for all the hints once again.

Scanned the movie, 4 drinking-sequences:

06:44 (red wine),

18:26 (anis and three pastis (Ricard?)),

31:21 (2 white wines-Depardieu is pouring),

01:19:53 (white wine in a bar but drunk in the same glasses pastis was drunk).

I will watch the film thoroughly tomorrow, it seems to have very nice landscape shots as well. Manon des sources is 39%, very slow.

I just saw Silk last night (Stop laughing!) and there is a brief scene in the main character's village pub where there is a bottle of what looks like a Jade in the front of the shot (though is probably whatever meant to be whatever vintage distiller that Jade's bottles are made to look like) with a nice glass of it next to it.

Nobody ever says the word "absinthe" though.

The movie takes place in the 1860s if I remember correctly.

Watching Catacombs right now. Looks to be a decent horror film, but there's a scene where the lead drinks absinthe straight. Flaming sugar. Hallucinations. And so forth.