Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've toyed with the thought of collecting every absinthe scene I can get my hands on (possibly doing an anthology at some point).

We all know the current Unholy Trinity (sorry Mrs. Hiram, nothing personal):

Moulin Rouge

Bram Stoker's Dracula (misnomer; should be Francis Coppola's Dracula)

From Hell

There's also:

Deceiver

Eurotrip

The Perfect Drug video from NIN.

Total Eclipse

Pretty Baby

Salome's Last Dance

Wilde (about Oscar)

and apparently a W.C. Fields movie, but I don't know which.

Any others you guys can come up with?

Hey Guys, what about HBO Carnavale....I can't remember his name, but he was a blind psychic,seer..who imbibed of the green fairy frequently. Now I guess it is a serial and not a movie, but TV is sort of related. Dawn.

xXx with dickwhad Vin Petrol... No Diesel, sorry.

In a club there's one of the "bad guys" - a czech or other form of easter euro-pee-on Boris guy - shooting absinth.

Thanks for the link (and the films), Dawn. We all read many threads like that in other forums. Alas, few of us have the energy to go into each one and straighten them out (there are alway members who resist any new information). But it looks like a few people on there know their stuff.

If you post in the forum, feel free to point them to our FAQ.

I'm glad you like the avatar.

Thanks, Hiram I will point them, if not unlike the others, I can find time! Your society is the only forum I have ever joined. It is worthy.

I also highly recommend FeeVerte.net. Most of us are members there as well and it's a much bigger forum with many, many more members. It may take a while to get used to the sarcasm and mutual abuse, but it's a lot of fun. It's also international. You may wind up bumping into someone from TX.

Well, I'd lurk for a while and read a lot of the threads over there. Keep up with them on a daily basis to get a sense of the atmosphere. It's a bit more rowdy there but it's a lot of fun. Newbies tend to get hazed as a matter of reflex, so don't take it personally if some jackass flames you for no apparent reason. Although that has settled down a bit recently.

Definitely read their FAQ before posting or asking questions. The biggest taboo there (here too, for that matter) is asking a question that has been clearly answered in the FAQ. I hope we see you over there!

And you'll need a smaller icon:

dawn_100.jpg

On topic for a sec...

All of the following reviews are from LaFeeAbsinthe.com:

Lust For Life with Kirk Douglas as Van Gough and Anthony Quinn as Gaugin contain many scenes of absinthe drinking, and many of the locations used for filming were the actual locations Vincent Van Gogh visited in his life.

New 'Alfie' film features absinthe sex scene

Alfie is a calculating womaniser - among his conquests are the best friend's girlfriend, various married clients and a sexually voracious older woman (Susan Sarandon), who introduces him to absinthe and heartache in quick succession.

Bright Young Things

This movie - set in glamorous 1930s London - follows a group of socialites whose lives consist of drinking absinthe, snorting drugs and creating slanderous fodder for the gossip columns.

Carry on...

Dawn mentioned Carnival above. In this HBO series about a traveling circus in the 1930s, there is a blind absinthe-drinking character named Lodes who is a mentalist - one of those performers that handles objects such a watches, jewellry, peices of clothing, etc, and starts picking up personal information about the owner.

It's a rather dark story with fascinating characters who have some sort of mystical relationship with eath other that hasn't yet been clearly explained in the series. My opinion is that the sort of people who tend to be attracted to absinthe are also the people who would enjoy this series.

Carnival is currently being rerun on HBO and a 2nd season starts in March. Unfortunately, the best absinthe shots (water poured over a sugar cube on a spoon set over the glass, next to a bottle clearly labled "Absinthe") are in the first few episodes, and they are currently showing the later episodes.

I'll watch my TiVo schedule for the early episodes, and if they show up again I'll give you all a heads up on this board.

There was also an episode of Nip/Tuck where Julia is drinking apple martini's at a bar. She tells a guy that she just likes green drinks. He tells her that she'd really like absinthe. She asks about it, and all he tells her that it is illegal in the states and makes you horny as hell.