Sign in to follow this  
E Bien

Absinthe for a Special Occasion

Since this is my first new thread here since posting an introduction, apologies if it's in the wrong place or the topic already discussed to death in a thread I haven't found.

I recently learned that my oldest step-son and his wife are expecting their first child sometime in late May. :yahoo:

Since Grandma & Grandpa have become devoted absinthe drinkers to the virtual exclusion of all other strong beverages, and the kids have enjoyed it with us as well, I can't think of a better way to salute the new arrival than louching up some ultra-premium absinthe.

While I know the obvious answer would probably start with "pre-ban," unfortunately my budget for this brainstorm might stretch to the mid-hundreds, but never to the mid-thousands of dollars (I have camcorder tapes to buy and grandchildren to spoil).

To give you some idea of what we like, at the moment our preferred "everyday" brands are Obsello and Kübler, pretty much in that order, while Meadow of Love is probably the no-holds-barred favorite, and neither of us seems in any hurry to polish off the Lucid. What can you learned folk recommend to mark a milestone without maxing out a credit card?

Actually, you can pick up a glass or two of pre-ban for a "few hundred" or even a bottle of vintage (1950ish) for just a few hundred more (it seems Oxy had a couple of bottles going for around $850, as I recall).

We managed a nice big glass of 1910 Pernod Fils to toast our grandson. It was great but camcorder tapes are more important. :cheers:

Well, first of all, congratulations! :cheers:

If you can flag down any of the following, I would recommend these as top notch, celebratory absinthes:

1. Duplais Verte (readily available)

2. Brevens (EU score and worth every dime)

3. Jade Edouard (not sure on the availability...haven't checked in a while, but wow)

4. L'Artisanal (limited run absinthe and basically the best CO you can currently obtain, though no longer produced)

5. Several HG's which unfortunately are extremely hard to come by unless you're a friend of a friend...

The first four are excellent, in my opinion, and certainly worthy of a toast to a new life.

Ditto what Joe said, a few hundred will louche up a couple glasses of the finest pre-ban. And just under a grand (exchange has increased slightly since Oxy posted) will get you a whole bottle of the Tarragona Pernod Fils from the 50's.

Marcus Lion's newsletter indicates three or four Jade products to be back in stock in about three weeks.

A friend and I did a side by side of Jade Edouard and some pre-ban edouard a week or so ago and it was a good thing. I still get all nipply when I think about it.

Congrats on the upcoming arrival. :cheers:

Suisse La Bleue..

Produced by farmers in the Val-de-Travers in Switzerland prior to legislative change. l rarely see the real thing outside of Switzerland.

The liter bottle was both corked and capped and was crystal clear (no green colour).

Really excellent...

Thanks all for your suggestions! The vintage options, while tempting, unfortunately don't quite match my purpose and pocketbook: think large-ish blended/extended families with few teetotalers on either side. One or more full bottles will probably be required for all interested parties to be able to raise even a smallish a glass.

precenphix, on the strength of your recommendation I ordered us up some Duplais Verte, and it's become an instant favorite (just got a second bottle this week, along with replenishing our supply of MoL and WW). Since that was such a hit, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Jade Edouard (assuming I can score some when it reappears) for the big day sounds extra-special, but still affordable enough I can pass it out like cigars, with maybe even a bottle to reserve for the squidling's twenty-first birthday.