Alexander Dunn

Edward III anyone?

The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature.

Yes, we seem to be developing some sort of "hive mind".....and i confess it feels rather creepy.

I think it's your duty to at least try a pre ban if you're going to be producing it. I really do.

I have to agree. You can't make absinthe if you haven't had absinthe.

I couldn't imagine making absinthe without first sipping some pre-ban. I do admire a couple guys jumping out in the cold heartless world and giving it a shot though.

I'm sorry, I just can't go along with this. We all know vintage absinthe will only be around so long. What will you tell the new producers in 10 or 20 years that may not be able to obtain a sample? "Despite a quality product, you're not qualified to be an absinthe producer"?

Though for the record, I think Bill is probably being the most fair about this given his follow-up statement.

Edited by Absinthe Ben

But there IS pre-ban available right now, and in the future one might hope that there is sufficient stocks of absinthe made in the first decade of the 21st century that others think highly of, or that resembles pre-ban, or that is widely thought to be just plain great, that it would serve as a substitute.

My point wasn't so specific though, but rather that you really need to try a whole bunch of absinthes period, before you go foisting your vision on the world. Just my two cents, really.

And as for the Swiss, they've got the next best thing, i.e. a hundred years of nearly continuous production tradition.

Edited by speedle

My point wasn't so specific though, but rather that you really need to try a whole bunch of absinthes period, before you go foisting your vision on the world.

What, real experience? That's just crazy talk; that could take years! We need to ride this wave now.

I'm sorry, I just can't go along with this. We all know vintage absinthe will only be around so long. What will you tell the new producers in 10 or 20 years that may not be able to obtain a sample? "Despite a quality product, you're not qualified to be an absinthe producer"?

I don't think anyone here would suggest it should be a non-negotiable pre-requisite.

However, as long as there's pre-ban available, I think anyone who wants to make absinthe owes it to themselves to at least know what the goal is. Otherwise, they're playing darts blindfolded.

Would you buy a guitar made by someone who had only ever heard a ukulele? How about a copy of the Mona Lisa by someone who had only ever heard it described?

Let's put it this way: can you imagine someone making whisky without ever having tasting any??

That's why so many inexperienced, uninformed/misinformed producers come up with such weird-assed ideas. They don't know what absinthe tasted like, some assume no one really knows, or that other producers are probably just guessing too, and then they assume that anything they want to do should be equally valid.

Or they use the universal excuse born of fear-of-failure: "I meant to do it that way. I wanted to do my own unique expression of absinthe; create my own style."

When there are more modern brands of absinthe that are universally accepted as exemplary of pre-ban absinthe by those who know pre-ban, those can be used as gold standards, but until then the benchmark will be the best examples of pre-ban that we have.

Yea, I mean, I'm sure there's quite a few Suisse La Bleue producers who've never had any pre-ban.

And for a number of them, it shows.

Yes, so long as we all understand it should not be a concrete pre-requisite for all generations to come I think we're on the same page.

Speedle's suggestion of having an extensive background of tasting experience will of course play an important role in determining the style of absinthe as well.

As another note, I just read through the forums at Fee Verte regarding Edward III. I suggest you all do the same, as you're not getting the whole story until you do...

Yes, so long as we all understand it should not be a concrete pre-requisite for all generations to come I think we're on the same page.

Well of course not. But the thing is, how many absinthes today really get to the meat of what preban absinthe was? Not a question of if they're as good but a question of being the same animal? One thing people keep forgetting is that the new wave of quality absinthe is really, really recent. Looks like a lot of brands are on the market? No, not really, not compared to other spirits, even if you include all the garbage brands, knock-offs, and fakes. There are only a relative handful of excellent absinthes available. In my opinion that selection is not enough to form a picture of what absinthe really is and was.

As another note, I just read through the forums at Fee Verte regarding Edward III. I suggest you all do the same, as you're not getting the whole story until you do...

Well, if you read the posts from my beginning, you'd discover a lot of stupid shit, too. Hopefully, we learn from our mistakes and shouldn't be held too terribly accountable for those first faltering steps.

Be not the slave of your own past.*

I'm sure if we looked into your past posts we might find a few embarrassing items, too, eh? ;)

Edward is trying to be a solid contributing member and he has a support of a good distillery. Let's hope for the best and not purposefully muddy the water.

*I love to start my day with a little Ralph Waldo! B)

Do we also have little dances that we do to show each other where the good absinthe is? :twitchsmile:

Yes, now where did those Oompa Loompas get to, anyway. :tongue:

I would personally love it if we turned the page and that Fee Verte thread disappeared down the memory hole forever. It certainly didn't help answer my technical questions at the time and now it's just a thorn in our side. That's one problem with the internet: it's a big echo chamber and stuff just sticks around forever, whether it's relevant, or no longer representative of a person's views in the present. It's a real bitch!

Let's say our first production batch turns out exceptional (and believe me we are doing everything possible to strive for that result) what difference will that regrettable Fee Verte thread make?

How does that thread influence you, Ben? Are you suggesting it lowers your confidence in the brand or are you suggesting something else?

With the distillation taking place tomorrow my sights are firmly set on the future, and hopefully that future is bright. Our distiller at Tuthilltown and I spoke for an hour yesterday about technical minutiae and subtle adjustments we're going to make in the process compared with our last scaled-up run. Specifically, lowering the distillation temperature, increasing the maceration time, dialing back the ratio of one of the herbs, modifying the water to GNS ratio in the still, experimenting with aerating a certain quantity to accelerate the aging process, and a few more things.

I made some posts months and months ago on Fee Verte asking some questions, but there are other people involved in this besides myself who are also experts in their craft and who are heavily researching the art of absinthe distillation, so IMO the Fee Verte thread helps nothing. It's past history.

I too will be PMing.

...That's one problem with the internet: it's a big echo chamber and stuff just sticks around forever, whether it's relevant, or no longer representative of a person's views in the present. It's a real bitch!

Tell me about it:

... I could give a shit less about thujone, but if I can expect no "absinthe effect" [...] then I'll be god-damned if I'm going to spend $100 for a bottle of booze unless it's damned fine single malt scotch. When I want an anise flavored liqueur, I'll buy a pastis for $30. I don't care if the effect comes from thujones or from Tom Jones, or a combination of other herbs, but that's why I pay exorbitant shipping rates. That, and I'm a die-hard romantic who loves the ritual of it all.

The question we are again facing, and whose answer keeps changing, is: what are the criteria for a drink to be considered genuine absinthe?

Ouch.

Yeah, I've said quite a few stupid things myself, during my tenure with absinthe. Most notably on FV. That's why I'm purposely going to avoid the thread in mention here. We've all made mistakes before. Forget about them.

If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet.

That obvious, huh?

Question: I had a Q and A with two master distillers, one from a Vermouth brand and one from an Italian Bitters, and both suggested to macerate herbs and bitters in water first to soak out the most for two days, then macerate in water.

Can anyone speak from experience or suggest that this would work in Absinthe without having to change or scale up a formula?

Gentleman, we have an update!

To anyone reading this who pre-ordered a long time ago from Drink Up NY and canceled their order because it was taking too long, we sincerely apologize for the delay. I believe about 6 or 7 orders were canceled out of a few cases total. The good news is that some of the first run is bottled, and we have been told the entire batch will be bottled by this coming Monday, at which time I will personally be driving up to the distillery for pick up and delivery.

If anyone has been holding out for more news before ordering from DUNY, I can assure you that if you do so this week it will help because we will know exactly how many cases to pick up to meet that demand.

Stay tuned ;)