Alexander Dunn

Edward III anyone?

Edward learns from research and reading, not so much from raw experience more academic than field experience

I have some elves here, mutual friends of Terence McKenna's, who would happily argue otherwise, my friend. See that guitar over there? It wants to kill your momma, too.

Now you get it....I love the humour...you got my point! I am just trying to show We all can take ourselves too seriously at times. I am going to keep reading and learning as much as I can..

People threatening to ban me or not buy my product because board authorities do not like my opinions and ways of posting. I am not trying to harm anyone. I praise Ms. Walton Waters and Brian you assumed I was mocking her and belittling her..

It just goes to show the internet does not show human emotion and intension which is why you can't judge that I am an Obnoxious prick...my only point is that no matter how much knowledge we have..we always are learning...great real fucking profound Mark right? Luscious Oily Lesbians!

I am not trying to be a troll just challenge the powers that be. Is there anything wrong with that?

I can't argue with that Brian. I do not see any positive reason for me to be here any longer. I think I am not clear with my points. I am not criticizing anyone, I am just saying if the Fed does not recognize it as a class, what we say in a legal sense is here say.

Brian I like you a lot too. The strange thing was I was not claiming to know more than anyone, I was just asking everyone to stop taking themselves so seriously when until The Fed recognizes ABsinthe as a class its all here say.

I do appreciate all your efforts to helping the cause. It seems I need to transform and transmute ate my anger and intolerance into positivity.

Edward and myself INVENTED NEW YORK ABSINTHE
Well, technically you invented YOUR BRAND and called it New York Absinthe. My presumption is that people were producing absinthe in NY before the ban, and Cheryl was making absinthe in New York before you were.

Anyone who tells you they have made the real absinthe is full of shit.
Please explain. I really want to hear what you mean by this.

The first absinthes were Swiss La Bleue's, do u know why? Because if you know anything about distilling..nearly every distilled spirit is CLEAR after distillation...
No offense Mark, but you know a lot less about distilling (and absinthe) than most of us here. Swiss style absinthes ARE NOT just uncolored vertes. They have different recipes. Someone making a verte based on a historic recipe can't make their run and then say the clear distillate is a Swiss Blanche. It's simply an uncolored verte at that point.

And if you've been reading at all on this forum over the past few days, you should have seen this discussion about some absinthe distillates being tinged. Please make sure to at least read down to post #119.

People should not judge Edward III and focus their energy on whether "its real or not"
WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THIS??? I haven't seen one person on this forum state that your brand isn't real, or even postulate that it might not be.

Maybe we can band together and get it listed as a class distinction.
This shows me how 'in the dark' you really are. You're several years behind the curve here. We've been working on a Federal definition for years. There have been legal classifications of absinthe in the past, and there are some in Switzerland right now. It would behoove you to do some research and become familiar with them, since many of our discussions use these as baselines to start with now.

I am sorry if I gave some of you the wrong idea about my seriousness of the project but really I just found it amusing how devout of an opinion people had of everything based on their own opinions.
Stop being condescending. Most of our opinions are significantly more informed than yours, and ours are based in historical fact. Judging by the video you made with Samantha, yours is based more on Czechsinthe dogma and thujone madness. Do some research.

Seriously. It would be in your best interest to let Edward talk while you do a LOT more historical research. You're not helping your cause at all. You're making it worse with your ignorance and condescending attitude.

I like you as a person, Mark. That's the only reason we're giving you so many chances to redeem yourself. Many people would have been booted by now and labelled a shill. You would have had a lot more cancelled orders. But we're SO depserately trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quit digging yourself deeper and deeper holes with your uninformed absolute statements. You'd be doing yourself and more importantly, your brand, a favor.

You need to realize you already have allies here, but you're alienating them more and more with practically every post you make.

Oh, and by the way:

I do not see why he must insist on putting on the forum that its his label and formula design. There isn't a distinction. It is property of Edward III LLC. What I see in this statement is a: he either wants credit for everything....or b. he wants to be respected by the so call "authorities" of the board.

My guess is: c. he's trying to salvage the reputation of your brand here.

Just a fun fact.

Oh, and by the way:

I do not see why he must insist on putting on the forum that its his label and formula design. There isn't a distinction. It is property of Edward III LLC. What I see in this statement is a: he either wants credit for everything....or b. he wants to be respected by the so call "authorities" of the board.

My guess is: c. he's trying to salvage the reputation of your brand here.

Just a fun fact.

ok i agree did not see it this way. These are all things that happen in a new business. The frustration with getting it out. Finances. Control, loose cannon behvaior, jealousy, and the hard final truth of turning all that into better communication.

We are working through that.

Anyone who tells you they have made the real absinthe is full of shit.
Please explain. I really want to hear what you mean by this.

I wasn't going to egg him on.

This partnership looks to have the viability of the average Hollywood romance.

blah blah. i'm dron k and sorry for if i saound fucked. but mark needs to cease an d desist. edward makes me want to try edward III, and mark wmakes me wan tto ikill myself. ps. amost home.

Indeed. After all this bickering, I think when I want a bottle of "New York" absinthe, I'll just get something from Delaware Phoenix.

blah blah. i'm dron k and sorry for if i saound fucked. but mark needs to cease an d desist. edward makes me want to try edward III, and mark wmakes me wan tto ikill myself. ps. amost home.

Indeed. After all this bickering, I think when I want a bottle of "New York" absinthe, I'll just get something from Delaware Phoenix.

:thumbup:

That would be my choice..

Yah, i'm afraid i will try it, love it and them be denied it evermore when the company disappears due to infighting amongst the proprietors.

These are all things that happen in a new business. The frustration with getting it out. Finances. Control, loose cannon behvaior, jealousy, and the hard final truth of turning all that into better communication.

We are working through that.

Lots of members here have gone through the same situation while at the same time strengthening ties with the rest of the absinthe community and not acting like jerks.

With you, on the other hand, it seems like just a bunch of excuses.

You act like you're the only ones here who have started up an absinthe brand. Take a fucking number. Oh, and most of the others not only do all of the development and marketing, but they also PRODUCE.

not post until I can contribute to the conversation instead of making false/uninformed inflammatory statements.

There. Fixed that for ya. ;)

I am not trying to be a troll just challenge the powers that be. Is there anything wrong with that?

Can you please tell me how you intend to challenge the powers that be when:

1) You don't have a firm enough grasp on the topic

2) You don't know how to comport yourself in this environment

3) You don't even know who the powers that be are (as referenced by the 'guy with the white hat' comment

Wow, Brian, reading that last post of yours was like reading one of my own. Good job. :)

I think when I want a bottle of "New York" absinthe, I'll just get something from Delaware Phoenix.

I tried to avoid this obvious point earlier but it would appear that Cheryl beat them to the punch on the first New York absinthe.

Hiya Edward J! Thanks for posting; it was a breath of fresh air, just as I hope your absinthe's aroma will be! Well, I didn't word that quite right, but you get the drift. :)

Mark, PTFA. You're posting on the messageboard associated with an absinthe education organization. Others have covered the specifics well enough, so until there's more attention TF paid, I'll follow Absomphe's lead and call you Paul. :devil:

Shit, Ron, we need to hang. If I drunk-posted on this thread, I'd be super-anal-retentive about my spelling and grammar in the service of my incredibly vitriolic and eviscerating diatribe. You were laid-back about spelling, and yet IMNSHO came across as classy. Do you teach classes?

Edited by scuto

I tried to avoid this obvious point earlier but it would appear that Cheryl beat them to the punch on the first New York absinthe.

As well as the second.

Edit to add......BTW, I know the Erenzo's enough to know that this kind of behavior is a good way of finding yourself unwelcome in their distillery.

Edited by leopold

Mark has his own "opinion" about this, but here's my opinion for the record:

OK, so the "The Fed" doesn't currently recognize absinthe as a "class distinction." That is correct and we learned that very quickly during the label approval process. However, if the Wormwood Society recognizes absinthe as a "class" and has collectively agreed on the criteria for that class, then that carries a heck of a lot more weight with me than what "The Fed" thinks.

When absinthe is finally recognized as a class, I assume the Fed will take it's cue from the Wormwood Society and other experts on the topic, including absinthe historians and the producers themselves.

We're working on it. We've worked up a definition for both Class and Types.

if the Wormwood Society recognizes absinthe as a "class" and has collectively agreed on the criteria for that class

Just so you know, and I'm not saying that you're suggesting this, WS didn't just arbitrarily come up with criteria. The definition we're looking at is based on much study of contemporary evidence, literature, art, and modern scientific analysis of the actual 19th century products. Also, many of us here have tasted multiple samples of pre-ban absinthe, so we do know precisely what absinthe was.

We're not seeking to define absinthe according to our ideas of what we want it to be, but according to what it really was.

I definitely wasn't suggesting that members here were arbitrarily defining absinthe. This just seems to be the place where the most historical data has been compiled, discussed, and tossed into the pot.

I get the Oxygenee newsletter and have wished I had the funds available to buy some of the pre-ban absinthe sample vials offered for sale, but it's just been too tight money-wise with starting this business. I hope in the coming months forces align and I haven't already missed my chance. Any suggestions for other ways I might be able to taste something pre-ban, bearing in mind that I reside in NYC?

I'm sure something will come up one of these days.

Here's some of what we're talking about with a definition, from this thread.

This table shows what an absinthe definition might look like after being added to the Beverage Alcohol Manual. Several changes have been made since this was posted here in early 2008, but you get the sense of it.

CLASS

GENERAL CLASS

DEFINITION

TYPE

GENERAL TYPE

DEFINITION

ABSINTHE1 Spirits with a main characteristic flavor derived from aniseed and Artemisia absinthium wormwood, produced by mixing or redistilling of spirits with or over plants or extracts derived from infusions, percolation or maceration of such materials and bottled at not less than 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). DISTILLED ABSINTHE Absinthe produced by redistillation of distilled neutral spirits with or over aniseed and Artemisia absinthium wormwood and other plants.
COMPOUNDED ABSINTHE Absinthe produced by mixing neutral spirits with anise and Artemisia absinthium wormwood essences or flavors and (optionally) other essences and flavors.
1 Sufficient as Class/Type designation

USE OF HARMLESS COLORING/FLAVORING/BLENDING MATERIALS

CLASS/TYPE

HCFBM ALLOWED

CFA

LABEL DISCLOSURE REQUIRED

QUALIFICATION

YES

NTE

2 1/2%

YES

ME

2 1/2%

NO

YES

NO

CM

FM

BM

ABSINTHE, DISTILLED

X

x

HCFBM must be natural plants.

ABSINTHE, COMPOUNDED

X

x

x

Hi, This is Edward, developer of the recipe/formula of Edward III New York Absinthe and designer of the label. I can see that the Wormwood Society forums are a much more civil place than the Fee Verte forums, and at the suggestion of Brian Robinson I thought I would finally introduce myself here. I am not expecting a repeat of the disaster that followed when I attempted to discuss the brand over at FV before we were approved (IMO the timing of that post was extremely pre-mature, and only invited skepticism).

I don't mean to sow any discord within my own company, but I did not approve nor do I agree with the posts Mark made under the display name "EdwardIIINYAbsinthe" (or his recent posts either for that matter). I think it was highly irresponsible of him to act as if he were representing the views of the company without discussing it with me, especially since he had very little role in the actual formula or the research that lead to it (it should be noted that he was there at every step of the way, and tasted and approved it at every stage).

Neither Mark nor I are Absinthe historians and I personally would never claim to be. There is a big difference between being a historian of Absinthe and putting in the time and research required to produce and launch a Swiss Blanche, just one type of Absinthe out of many, many variations.

So.... Hello! I'm a nice guy and I do have a sense of humor, contrary to some of the opinions at FV. In fact, I laughed my ass off at a lot that was posted over there even when the joke was on us.

Welcome Edward. Unlike Mark, all of the conversations I've had with you in particular have proved to me that you are a good, honest fellow that has never claimed to be a grand master of absinthe production.

I sincerely wish I could say the same about your business partner.

Contrary to popular belief I founded the company and named it after Edward.

This makes me very sad. If you were not the founder and only a top position in the company I'd have suggested to Edward that he fire you immediately.

Ill just read for a while now and not post until I can contribute to the conversation instead of making points.

That would be a very, very good idea. Realize that all the bridges that have been burned by your carelessness you are not just hurting yourself, but are equally crippling and alienating your business partners (who, as far as I can tell, have a much different agenda than you).

If I were Edward, I would be on the lookout to join a new company. If I were your partners doing the actual production I'd be looking over the contract searching for any loophole to get out of it.

I think FPB put it very well:

This partnership looks to have the viability of the average Hollywood romance.
Edited by Absinthe Ben

I can't hold my tongue any longer; I think these two have been indulged enough. Mark alone has received more responses and views that most new members. The combination of ravings and good cop/bad cop act and the made up stories are insulting. I am not fooled by this smooth talking Edward and I don't buy the lack of funds bit either.

The more I read, the more this duo's carryings on sickens me. I for one only will not be having any association with Edward III Absinthe. After all their shenanigans I gainsay there is much benefit in what they may produce under any guise, regardless I will not support such unprofessional behavior.

So I wish good luck to them on delivering their goods and collecting after months long pre-sell :)

P.S. I have had not one inquiry on Edward III Absinthe...

I don't go to any other absinthe forums anymore, so I don't know what's gone on previously.

I can't hold my tongue any longer; I think these two have been indulged enough.

I appreciate your opinion and I understand. This Forum is a little bit different than others. Our mission is to educate and we try (some times desperately) to be patient to a fault. There are a few members floating around that would make Mark look like a breeze. They eventually took some wonderful lessons from The Wormwood Society and became outstanding contributing members. Mark and Edward are in a position (if they don't blow it) to bring the gospel to many new consumers in NYC.

I placed Mark on Mod Approval to give him a chance to do a little reflection. Hopefully, this nasty little wreck will fade from memory and the absinthe community will be better for it. I am an incorrigible optimist. ;)

Shit, Ron, we need to hang. If I drunk-posted on this thread, I'd be super-anal-retentive about my spelling and grammar in the service of my incredibly vitriolic and eviscerating diatribe. You were laid-back about spelling, and yet IMNSHO came across as classy. Do you teach classes?

I'm not sure I could get a class past the first step and still be able to teach! But I do feel bad. I've been checking my facebook, twitter and WS to see if I need to call a lawyer! To be honest, I think this was the worst of my drunk posts, and I didn't mean to be rude. Well, not too rude. I do like Edward's posts better.

Ron, I hear my own words echoing in yours.... "cease and desist! cease and desist!" Mark,

"desist" should be your new secret word, a la Pee Wee's Playhouse.

New thread title: "Hari-Kari anyone?"

Hahaha. Brian would definitely need a lawyer. The resurgent temperance folks might use a thread like that to show how absinthe folks get together and plan mass suicide on message boards!

Bring on the kool-aid!

I'm looking forward to trying, and reviewing, my bottle when I get the first opportunity.

I can't hold my tongue any longer; I think these two have been indulged enough. Mark alone has received more responses and views that most new members. The combination of ravings and good cop/bad cop act and the made up stories are insulting. I am not fooled by this smooth talking Edward and I don't buy the lack of funds bit either.

The more I read, the more this duo's carryings on sickens me. I for one only will not be having any association with Edward III Absinthe. After all their shenanigans I gainsay there is much benefit in what they may produce under any guise, regardless I will not support such unprofessional behavior.

So I wish good luck to them on delivering their goods and collecting after months long pre-sell :)

P.S. I have had not one inquiry on Edward III Absinthe...

I don't appreciate your accusatory post, and the "good luck" wish at the end doesn't negate your true message. This has been the most difficult week in the life of this business for me, watching my own business partner stain the reputation of a brand that bears my name just a couple of weeks before we finally release. You see the number of page views and somewhat audaciously suggest that this is a calculated "good cop/bad cop" PR strategy, which could not be further from the truth. Then you call me "smooth talking" and accuse us of lying about "lack of funds" when you have no evidence for either. Take a look at the New York unemployment statistics and the economy before making such presumptuous statements. I feel as though salt has been thrown in my wounds.

Revealingly, the website for your shop has a photo of our only NY competitor on the front page with gushing praise about it (which i'm sure is well deserved).

I came to the Fee Verte forums originally to ask a very specific question about the distillation process. It didn't go well because of the overall tone of those forums and my low tolerance for their "hazing process" of "newbies." Not to mention, we were not even federally label approved at that point and I was hesitant about jinxing it by even revealing our brand name.

I had planned to come here for a fresh start after our launch at Brian's suggestion, but unfortunately my partner pre-empted me and made it appear that we wanted to blow it here too. For that I sincerely apologize. I'm glad all of this happened at such an early stage of the company because things are going to be changing starting this week.