Odd Alcohol Laws

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Azyanea

Azyanea

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

This was from 2000 so is a bit outdated...plus I'm sure many of these laws aren't still enforced, but just for laughs and giggles...

Quirky Alcohol Laws:

1. Remarkably, it still remains illegal to be drunk in a pub or club in the UK.

2. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

3. In Houston, Texas, somewhat confusingly, beer may not be purchased after midnight on Sunday, but can be purchased anytime on Monday!

4. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London. 5. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

6. In Scotland it is illegal to be drunk and in possession of a cow.

7. In Alaska it is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose.

8. In Texas it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer whilst standing.

9. The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is also banned in the Lone Star state, as it contains a formula for making beer at home.

10. In Switzerland, although it is illegal to produce, store, sell and trade absinth, it is legal to consume it.

11. In Nebraska it is illegal for bar owners to sell booze unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

12. At Dublin's Trinity College, students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.

13. In North Dakota beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

14. Although the French wine, "Fat Bastard," is freely available in 22 states in the US, both Texas and Ohio have banned its sale within their borders.

15. In the US the word "refreshing" is banned from use in adverts to describe any alcoholic drink.

16. In Pennsylvania, no man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.

17. Anyone under the age of 21 who takes out household rubbish containing even a single empty beer bottle can be charged with illegal possession of alcohol in Missouri.

18. It is illegal to sit on any street curb in St. Louis, Missouri, and drink beer from a bucket.

19. In 2008 an Iranian court sentenced a 22-year-old "hardened and incorrigible drinker" to death for breaking the country's ban on drinking alcohol for the fourth time.

20. In Iowa, a husband may not take more than three gulps of beer while lying in bed with his wife, or holding her hands. It's also illegal to start a tab at a bar.

#2 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Alabama is the only state that still restricts beer sales in stores to 16oz containers and smaller. And homebrewing is still technically illegal, though not enforced.

I know some other states have really screwy laws like high gravity beer only being sold in package stores in some places, etc.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#3 Azyanea

Azyanea

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

MS doesn't allow beer to be sold unless it's less than 6% alcohol...

#4 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, Mississippi is now the last state still doing that. Alabama got that changed only a few months ago, and now we can have beer up to 13.9%.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#5 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

It seems you're right, but I also found some other dumb laws for Pennsylvania

It is contrary to Pennsylvania law to discharge a gun, cannon, revolver or other explosive weapon at a wedding.

It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel.

It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.

A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.

You may not sing in the bathtub.

Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents.

A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass.

Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when either the bride or groom is drunk.

No more than two packages of beer at a time may be purchased, unless you are buying from an official “beer distributor”.

#6 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass.

Speaking as someone who does a bit of running and mountain biking on trails frequented by horses, that actually sounds like a pretty sensible law.

#7 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

I appreciate very much the sharing of these wonderful and wacky laws. Once again, thanks to Wormwood Society members, I will drive to work chuckling. :cheers:

By the way, the use of the above emoticon does not in any way imply that I will violate Manitoba provincial laws by drinking and driving. Have a great day, all.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#8 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

I wonder what percentage of these purported laws are in fact simple products of urban legend...I'd bet it's fairly high.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#9 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

Like this one?

"In Ventura County, California cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit."

Difficult to enforce!
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#10 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,663 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

And, of course, those permits cost money.

So...it's a requisite that the owners pay for their animals to have sex, but human prostitution is illegal.

Damn, I hate the hypocrisy of double standards. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#11 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

[replying to Alan]

To be sure!

I was thinking in particular of the claim that the Encyclopaedia Britannica is "banned" in Texas. Such a law would not stand up to a Constitutional legal case, of course, and I suspect it's something invented simply to mock Texans as a benighted people.

Many of the others seem unlikely to me as well...either wholly fabricated or at least reworded in a comic manner and thus distorted for humorous effect.

Of course, if this one is true...

"In Switzerland, although it is illegal to produce, store, sell and trade absinth, it is legal to consume it."

...you'll want to be careful!

[replying to Absomphe]

human prostitution is illegal.

...unless somebody videotapes it! (in California, at least....)
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#12 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,663 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

And in Nevada, of course.

But I don't think that state worries too much about its pet fornication, either.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#13 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

In California, no alcoholic beverages can be displayed within five feet of a cash register in any store that sells both motor oil and alcoholic beverages such as beer or wine.

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#14 Jen Dixon

Jen Dixon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

And in Britain...
  • It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
  • It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down
  • Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned
  • In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants
  • The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen
  • It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing
  • It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour
Source: BBC

[Edited to add the following]

And alcohol related: Source: Wikipedia
  • Children aged 5 and over may legally consume alcohol in their own home or someone else's as long as they are under the supervision of an adult
  • The legal age for the purchase of liqueur chocolates is 16.

I'm Jen, artist and dork. I used to run an absinthe shop. You can also find me at:
http://www.regularjen.com, Twitter @regularjen
http://jendixonarts.com, what I do for a living
http://www.flickr.co...tos/regularjen/, pics
http://absinthehour.com, Twitter @absinthehour

#15 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

In Texas, corrupt politicians have stopped me from buying alchohol from DUNY...and thats pretty fu**in odd.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#16 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

And in Britain...

• In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants
    of liqueur chocolates is 16.

That could get ugly.

#17 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when either the bride or groom is drunk.

I don't know, this one sounds pretty sensible to me... :drunk: :nono:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#18 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when neither the bride or groom is sober.
Now that makes sense!

#19 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:44 AM

Kind of added a letter didn't you? "Either", not neither. That's OK, I've had problems reading some things myself lately. :poke:

#20 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

Oooh! A very subtle grammar faux pas, and yet still it was spotted! Adding the "n" made it the same law as previously posted.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#21 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

Damn. That's what I get for posting before the first cup of coffee kicks in.
Turn-of-phrase-humor? Fail.

#22 Jazper

Jazper

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

Good thing I didn't get married in Pennsylvania. Heck I'm fairly confident my "minister," (tee-hee Minister Legate :laf: ) wasn't entirely sober. Wonder if its legal in Pennsylvania for your "minister," to hand you your first drink when you arrive at the reception? Sure glad I got married in :drunk: Montana!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

#23 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,722 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

We got La Fee liqueur before Obsello, Jade NO, Vieux Carre, Pacifique, Meadow of Love, Walton Waters, Marteau, and any of those other goodies. That's odd if you ask me.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#24 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down

Haha, A LOT of people do that in Quebec (which is always, in law, under the rule of Britain monarchy) on purpose!

#25 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Id like to see a moose drunk
And how do you get a fish drunk, it would die
Props For Buddha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association