I got a bottle of K53, and gave it a whack of Sprite. It louches up quick like a Spy Hunter smoke screen, and goes down like a Heineken. (not a bad thing BTW...)

It's not a Verte, the taste isn't as complex as my last bottle of Mansinthe, or Duplais. But hey, lets get drunk! I'm bartender. :cheers:

You can't beat the value of K53 when you get a Liter bottle, and the Absinthe taste for the money spent.

Kübler gets better after it sits for a while.

People talk about it having no wormwood flavour but my experience was that the wormwood became downright dominating after a couple months of sitting.

I agree with Peridot to some extent. I don't find the A.a. dominating in my 8 month old bottle (probably my 3rd or 4th Kübler purchase), but there's definitely more wormwood than when it was fresh. It's also a little cleaner. Not quite CLB level of quality, but not as milquetoast as when it first gets opened either.

I like to add Peychaud's bitters to it sometimes to ad more flavor and I can pretend it's a rouge.

I keep a bottle somewhere because I need to go back and refresh my memory of some of the basics. It will always have a place in my house.

Now that I've had a few days to compare, overall I'm liking the K53 compared to my PD Vieux Carre.

The K53 louches instantly. Unfortunately I cannot get the VC to Louche whatsoever. Maybe it's the batch, but I kinda expect my Absinthe to cloud upon mix.

Edited by leadfootdriver

Unfortunately I cannot get the VC to Louche whatsoever. Maybe it's the batch, but I kinda expect my Absinthe to cloud upon mix.

Are you still using Sprite?

Yes sir. However, it will be a great day when I finally get an authentic Absinthe dripper. I'll convert all newbies in my circle with the mystique, potency, and taste of the green fairy.

I'm ranting... :cheers:

Err, M'am.

The difficulties I've had with the Vieux Carre's louche is my only real complaint. I can get a nice a louche with a fountain, but not with pouring water. I've had this experience with two different batches. I still like it though, and the price is nice.

:cheers:

I've never had a louching issue with the V.C.

I have used a water bottle, brouilleur, and the balancier.

Maybe a different louche with each, but it always louches.

Anyway.......

I have to ask about this Sprite thing though.

How come Sprite and not water?

I have some lemoncello right now and I've never thought to try combining it with absinthe. I suppose I'll have to get right on that.

I've never tried it, I thought about it last night though.

I think I did try lemoncello and sprite once though. It wasn't half bad, but it was a little sweet.

I experimented with some limoncello and absinthe (got some minis from a friend who went to Italy) last winter but never got the balance right. There must be a way...

Err, M'am.

The difficulties I've had with the Vieux Carre's louche is my only real complaint. I can get a nice a louche with a fountain, but not with pouring water. I've had this experience with two different batches. I still like it though, and the price is nice.

:cheers:

Ahem, sorry Madam... :laugh:

It's been a couple of weeks since I've had the VC. Now that the weekend is here, I'm finding that the 2 weeks ownership has enhanced the tast of my VC. I wonder if it's the time, and or the fact that I've exposed it to the open air.

Either way, it tastes better than it did 2 weeks ago. But it still doesn't louce. :thumbdown: But rerally that's a minor point, because it's all about the taste; and it does taste better than my K53.

It's sweeter than club soda?
:devil:

I wonder if it's the time, and or the fact that I've exposed it to the open air.

But it still doesn't louce.

No worries. :cheers:

Yes.

Are you using a slow pour? Or power louching?

We have had spirited debates on how a slow pour vs. a power louche will affect the outcome of the louche.

It's sweeter than club soda?
:devil:

I wonder if it's the time, and or the fact that I've exposed it to the open air.

But it still doesn't louce.

No worries. :cheers:

Yes.

Are you using a slow pour? Or power louching?

We have had spirited debates on how a slow pour vs. a power louche will affect the outcome of the louche.

Sorry that I've been away, But I'm back on the boards as the weekends are for leisure!

But for a Sprite mix, the K53 smokes right up with a caveman pour! :cheers: