dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

No promises that I can replicate that color!

(I used some pontica from my garden from 07 instead of the usual. I was worried that I'd messed up the coloring and made it too dark.)

:clap: Very exciting, I can't wait to get my hands on a bottle (or two)! Walton, NY, not far from Binghamton? That's a doable drive from Buffalo...

Very nice, indeed, DP!

Are you still looking into the possibility of getting your products into the backward state of PA once it debuts? I was keenly disappointed when I visited my local state store the other day and I found that--despite the fact that we've had a quality absinthe (Vieux Carre) selling briskly all over the state for two months now (there's only a few bottles left in my county)--the PLCB has decided, in its infinite wisdom, to make Absente and Grande Absente the next "absinthes" available to its customers. One step forward, two steps back. I would dearly love to see the Delaware Phoenix Distillary line replace them on the shelf!

When I was in PA, the employees at the state stores always felt the need to tell me how shocked they were that someone was actually buying absinthe. They may have just been shocked at the amount I was buying, but I did do my part and told them to keep stocking the Vieux Carre and to forget about ordering more Absente and the like. The rest is up to you locals now. All the stores I went to seemed genuinely interested in ordering stuff that will sell.

No Coriander? That's too bad.

Seriously, DP, those are beautiful pictures. I wish you could have gotten a bottle to Seattle this last weekend. How far out are you from sales?

Looks delicious, can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of the production run!

And I love the Gonzo-Fury, sounds like the name of a Ted Nugent album :mbanana:

When I was in PA, the employees at the state stores always felt the need to tell me how shocked they were that someone was actually buying absinthe.

And therein lies the problem. I dropped by a state store here in town a while back to pick up another bottle of VC and couldn't find it on the shelf. I finally figured out that they were keeping it behind the counter--along with the airplane bottles and really expensive brandy, etc. When I asked why, the clerk didn't seem to know--or care, particularly, that they might lose out on a sale if folks looking for it figured they were sold out or just didn't carry it.

Now, I've spoken to other local store managers who seem genuinely interested in hearing about absinthe and which brands are the best to carry. I've even handed out ordering and distributor info (the Marteau sell sheet, etc.). Ultimately, though, I don't think these people have much say at all in what their stores stock. I'm pretty sure these decisions are made at the state level. Not to say that we can't have a positive impact if we keep trying, but I think there's a ton of bureaucratic inertia (and red tape) to overcome--as Leopold, Dakini, and others who have looked into getting their products on the shelf in PA can no doubt testify.

(I used some pontica from my garden from 07 instead of the usual. I was worried that I'd messed up the coloring and made it too dark.)

Better slightly darker than too pale or undercoloured (yes, I am channelling someone). Beautifully deep sap green, very, very nicely and properly-coloured. Is it Meadow of Love or the current version of Walton Waters?

you people

I assume you're referring to my Borscht belt half, and not my kielbasa half, no?

Although, considering Boggy as an example of the latter, either half would could be equally comical. :tongue:

Is it Meadow of Love or the current version of Walton Waters?

Just one run of Meadow of Love. I'm aiming for that kind of color. Once I'm ready to bottle up the first batches I'll take pictures again and post.

I assume you're referring to ... Boggy as an example of ... my kielbasa... no?

Have it your way.

:laf:

I'm aiming for that kind of color.

The aim justifies the means and the means seem to be promising. Go, get them :cheers:

I assume you're referring to ... Boggy as an example of ... my kielbasa... no?

Have it your way.

Unfortunately, they don't serve kielbasa at Bogger King™, no matter how often I demand it. :angry2:

Walton, NY, not far from Binghamton? That's a doable drive from Buffalo...

I'm an hour further east from Binghamton. For the distance, I'd say wait until the weather is nicer and availability better. Maybe I will have found a suitable place in Ithaca by then.

Are you still looking into the possibility of getting your products into the backward state of PA once it debuts?

At some point that would be nice, along with VA. But PA wants $1000 just for the privilege of being a liquor vendor in their state. I have to be a little more flush to be able to afford that. It's been 3 weeks since my email to the responsible person at VA ABC.

But these are things to work on.

How far out are you from sales?

I think it's best to let the retailers make their announcements through their usual means. It may take them a little time to get something new on the shelves.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I couldn't have done it without your ongoing encouragement.

:cheers:

Does that mean NY won't allow you to sell from your own distillery? That would suck. Montana allows two 750ml bottles per person per day. I know one of Montana's other micro-distilleries is challenging the state for online sales, too. That would be pretty sweet!

Does that mean NY won't allow you to sell from your own distillery?
In a strange way, I hope the answer is yes. If I had the chance to buy some Dakinisinthe and missed out, I'll be really bummed.

Does that mean NY won't allow you to sell from your own distillery?

Correct. A "farm" distillery can sell direct to a person at the counter (no mail order, internet order, phone order, etc etc). But you have to use 100% New York agricultural products to make your spirit products. Last I heard, New York grown anise and fennel seed are not in stock at this time.

So that's why I'm not a farm distillery (which doesn't have to be on a farm). And why I can't sell direct to the public. At least they way the laws are today. Maybe if NY gets desperate for cash, they'll change their mind.

Not at all. That looks really inviting. Incredible, actually.

I know one of Montana's other micro-distilleries is challenging the state for online sales, too. That would be pretty sweet!

You're goddamn right it would... :wave2:

I came in around page 2 or 3, so I didn't know this was Dakini's absinthe (DP has multiple meanings BTW). I hope DUNY and/or VA's ABC store comes through. Like rimbaud's opinion, I get skeptical. However, I'll be happy to pre-order, or try it as soon as it hits.