dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

I like catskill cellars and probably would buy from them over DUNY any day even if all the products were the same.

Edited by greytail

I live about an hour away from DUNY,and I occasionally stop in and pick up a couple bottles that I can't get here in Ct. Delivery is a pain because I'm never here to sign. Kamal's always been very good to me.

Edited by redwun

Got my first bottles of WW and MoL from Catskill Cellars today. Quick turn around and they came in great shape. Louched up a glass of the WW right off the truck and am drinking it right now. Delicious!

So I have to ask - has anyone else gotten a strong "crayon" or "waxy funk" taste from the recent DP absinthes when you louche some up immediately after opening? That doesn't seem to be the case from the posts I'm reading in this thread, but on these latest batches (including Blues Cat), I've had to let the bottles breathe for about 4 to 5 weeks before that taste dissipated. Now that I've done so, I'm happy to say they taste very good, but I've been drinking Walton Waters and MoL for 3 years, and these new bottles are the first ones I've had this happen with. Am I alone in that experience?

That's exactly how my bottle of MoL tasted. I thought maybe it was the violet thing. Course it didn't sit around long enough to settle down, but i was kinda glad when it was gone.

Jay,

I had the first of the year batches of MoL and WW, and while the WW was good, the MoL took a few weeks to mellow out. The BC had a leak, that caused havok with cork and wax, but probably spared me having to age it bit. I find using a topette helps greatly with aging a new bottle.

I've heard some complaints about the 12-1 batch of MoL that I have, but that the later batches had fixed the 'issues'.

My bottles are batch 12-3 and 12-4, and I haven't noticed any glaring off-notes in the flavor profiles of either, although I will say that the MoL is less to my tastes than the WW- the violets seem to change the mouthfeel and finish without improving the taste (although it certainly smells incredible). However, the MoL is my wife's favorite absinthe so far, so I see more bottles of it in our future. We'll see how it tastes down the line. I'm hoping it will open up with some age, although bottles of verte don't have a tendency to gather dust in these parts.

:cheers:

Thanks for chiming in, you two [and you too, akumushi - didn't see your post until after I'd made mine]. I thought maybe something had happened to my bottles specifically, perhaps in transit, although I wouldn't think any kind of temperature fluctuations or other shipping conditions over 4 or 5 days could have had that much effect.

These bottles were indeed the 12/1 or 12/2 batches. I'm not certain, but I did hear someone mention the fennel as being the issue, although whether that may have had to do with the quality, or the amount used, or something altogether different, I wouldn't know.

Edited by Jay

My MoL is 12-3 bottle 8 and I didn't experience anything but joy! FedEx came this morning and I am currently enjoying a glass of WW 12-4 and all I can say is WOW~ It is incredible! I can't choose one over the other as there is no 2nd place here, but my mood would dictate my choice. I can say that WW is perfect and refreshing in the morning.

On a side note The DP bourbon is really interesting too. Super smooth, kind of thin but really nice. It's a unique bourbon to be sure and It has earned a permanent spot in my whiskey collection as one of the better.

My MoL is 12-3 bottle 8 and I didn't experience anything but joy! FedEx came this morning and I am currently enjoying a glass of WW 12-4 and all I can say is WOW~ It is incredible! I can't choose one over the other as there is no 2nd place here, but my mood would dictate my choice. I can say that WW is perfect and refreshing in the morning.

Mine is from the same batch - tastes wonderful right at first crack. Joy here as well - no way will it sit long enough to breathe though. It'll be gone by the weekend...

I'm diligently awaiting Catskill Cellars getting MoL and WW back in stock so I can order moreQ Come on early February! ! ! ! Oh wait . . . it is early February . . . :-)