dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

(This quote from DP got moved, but since this thread is about her distillery and general view of Absinthe I hope no one minds me putting it back in the thread so that I can respond to it)

All this talk of absinthe being the drink of drunken, alcoholic poets and painters is fine, but it was much more the drink of the average worker and the average person.

This is a wonderful and often overlooked point. As a factory worker I take pride in Absinthe's working class history. The fact that you (an accomplished artist) recognize that it appealed to more than just the artists and hipsters a century ago makes me happy. Rock on. Dakini, I hope your Absinthe wins a blue ribbon so we can call it DBR. :cheers:

Edited for spelling.

Good catch, Retro--this point also stood out to me, and I'm glad it's being highlighted.

Also, these alleged "separate" subsets/strata of society were and are more intertwined than is spoken of. Respect to both o' yous.

If I was close, I would come donate some free labor. As it is, I am too far away and can only donate moral support, but we got plenty of that around here.

I can't wait to sample your absinthe DP. Congratulations on taking that huge leap, wishing you the best. Oh and the website is truly brilliant, love it!

As of today, my Federal DSP application has been approved! The official paperwork will get in the mail next week, but I have am in the system now.

Next, the State, formulation and label, hopefully all as concurrently as possible.

Thanks everyone for all your support. It does mean a lot.

Does this mean you can fire up the still yet, or is State approval needed too?

I'm getting all excited for ya :)

Congrats DP - how very exciting! Seems like the process goes a bit faster for DSPs these days than it did when we went through it, which is good. I hope the state, formula & label go fast for you as well (rather than having Hiram's label experience, for sure!). :cheers:

Thanks everyone! I hope things move somewhat quicker now, but you never know.

Does this mean you can fire up the still yet, or is State approval needed too?

For producing a product you need an approved formula from TTB, and state approval. However, to get formula approval you need a TTB lab analysis for the dreaded thujone. There's only one way I know to provide a 750 ml sample for the lab. :arrr: So product development is allowed now which is pretty cool.

Obsello, wild ride ahead? You haven't seen the ride I've been on so far!

For those who care, I'm still waiting on the NY State Liquor Authority. I just got a letter from my State Senator, a copy of his letter to the Commissioner of the SLA requesting expedited processing of my application. I also got a letter from a Senior Deputy Commissioner at the SLA saying they got a request from the Governor to expedite my application. I'd sent a sobbing email to the Governor from his web page. I never expected him to actually take any action. I'm amazed. Of course, the SLA has never said that they'll actually expedite my application. :laf:

We'll see whether any of these activities leads to absinthe in NY sooner rather than later!

Also, the Catskill Watershed Corporation has a quarterly publication. I'm one of the many businesses they've funded. I'm on the front cover of the Fall issue! And there's an article too. You can all read it here.

Obviously, the stuff about absinthe by Christmas is unlikely now. Sorry. I'm waiting as fast as I can.